“Poor front person”

Ranked #30 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Taupo
Gisborne, Gisborne, New Zealand
“Poor front person”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

The apartment was lovely (especially the gorgeous bed linen) but the person who met us has no people skills! I agree with other reviews that it's difficult to find and if we hadn't had GPS in the car it would have been almost impossible to find. My biggest issue was the person who greeted us - told us we couldn't have visitors (which wasn't an issue but it was the way it was said). I also objected to the obnoxious way the 'rules' were signposted. The apartment is lovely but I wouldn't go back as part of why I stay at a place is the friendly reception from the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie_G242

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Levin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

My daughter and I booked to stay for two nights. Unfortunately it was dark by the time we arrived and there was no signage, we were expecting a reception of some kind with lights but nothing,adding to our confusion of where to go. I ended up calling and it was a recorded message saying they were busy but would call back within 10 mins but nothing. We finally found it but it looked like it was a private residence, we knocked and knocked on the door with no answer and then a man with a clipboard popped out from no where. His initial response to us was that it was private accommodation, leaving us to feel most unwelcome and uncomfortable. After explaining we were lost and tried calling and that I had booked he looked at his clipboard asking me for my cell phone number? After sorting out that we were who we were saying we were, we were escorted inside and advised that we had only booked for a queen room and had been upgraded to the villa. How lovely we thought but then we were not allowed to use the other bedrooms or the oven as its too expensive to clean?!? The man with the clipboard kept repeating that we had only booked for a queen room and that this was considerably more expensive. It was a lovely villa with a beautiful view and very comfortable. We would of really enjoyed our stay however the man with clipboard made us feel very unwelcome and was rather curt which put a damper on the whole upgrade. Location is great, villa lovely but man with clipboard could do with some customer service skills.

Room Tip: Be aware of lack of customer service with the man with the clipboard and lack of signage otherwise g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 51joa

Travelers are raving about these Taupo hotels

Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We booked in to be there a week, the moment we turned up the owner (the man with a clipboard) appeared from around the house, I suspect he lives below in the converted garage. Immediately he went into a rant about us turning up to early (30mins) and then proceded to inform us of all the things we couldn't do and lay out the riot act,man this guy is in serious need of a tourism relationship update which surprising as he's also a local lawyer. This might explain all the little signs stuck everywhere throughout the apartment, telling you what not to do with the various facilities, if it wasn't so bad it would almost be hilarious.

The bed was a shocker for noise, no chance of any carry-on there (might have been a sticker about that) This place is a perfect candidate for the UK show 'The Hotel Inspector'!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MobiButler
New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We arrived here to find no reception area but a man with a clipboard. We had paid by internet banking 5 months prior but he insisted they had not had any money from us and I had to pay again using my Eftpos card (remember Eftpos). We had a free upgrade and a beautiful apartment but.... no phone - if you don't have a cell phone what would happen in an emergency? The stove turned off and we were advised it would cost extra to turn on but.....limits to what you could cook. A list as long as your arm of do's and don't definitely took the edge off things as did the "lecture" on what we could and couldn't do in regard to heating, visitors, parking, cleaning, etc. I have travelled with my job at least twice a month for years and have never had so many conditions imposed. On checking our bank statements on line we found that the money did go to Falls Chateau 5 months previously and I requested my Eftpos payment be refunded giving them my account details. I was advised that it takes up to a month to refund Credit Card payment. I again told them it was not a credit card but eftpos and an online transfer takes only about 4 minutes to process. Again I was told it would be processed by the credit card company then by their office in Wellington. This went on for 40 days until I suggested maybe I should give the debt to the collection agency, the policy, or Fair Go. Big surprise the money was in my account the next day.
Like I said the place was beautiful despite the many locked doors in the apartment. Nice and quite until we got neighbours and could amost hear them breathing. Furniture and furnishing we just lovely. The problems are not with the apartment but more about attitude to guests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Trisho28
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed in a lovely one-bedroom apartment for 2 nights in January. The room was well equipped with Sky(Foxtel), WiFi internet, couches, utensils etc. and was very comfortable to stay in. Only negative were no tissue in the room and that the dishes were dirty and had to be cleaned before we would use them. Location was good in terms of being quiet and having a great view of the Lake Taupo and ice capped mountains. It is a few minutes drive to the town centre of Taupo though so we had to drive every meal time as we didn't cook in our apartment for the 2 nights we were there. Well priced accomodation for the room and it's amenities and very comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We read the questionable reviews for this place after booking. However as we were already locked in we decided to go ahead and stay at Falls Chateau anyway.
We were attending a wedding at the nearby resort which was 2 mins walk away, although it is a drive from the town centre,
We lucked out in getting the entire upstairs/downstairs apartment for just the two of us despite having only booked the queen room.
Manager was a little weird but maybe only our imagination after reading the previous reviews.
Was a lovely quiet spot, and a luxuriously appointed apartment. Only strange thing was complimentary toiletries looked like they had been refilled several times and a bit wornout.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aimee J
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Falls Chateau. The owner was onsite when we arrived. The decor was gorgeous. We had a small apartment with a magnificent view of Lake Taupo. The house itself is a short distance from the actual township, but this was reflected in the very reasonable tariff we paid at peak holiday time. We rather enjoyed the peaceful nature of our surroundings. TV worked better than any others we have experienced in NZ. Free wifi was a welcome touch. Great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012