“Thumbs down”
Review of Base Taupo

Base Taupo
Ranked #18 of 34 Specialty Lodging in Taupo
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Base hostels exist purely to profit off travellers on a budget, not to help them travel, and that's obvious here. The rooms were crammed with as many beds as possible, some lights didn't work, bathroom had no bathmat so water went everywhere. The kitchen had no stoves or even tea towels so dishes were never dry. Also, good luck trying to sleep if your rooms above the bar like ours was.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Jason C, General Manager at Base Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thanks for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn't as expected. We certainly aim to please. The majority of our dorm rooms accommodate four people and many of our rooms have ensuites. All rooms have bathmats provided. We will always provide a bathmat in the unlikely case that one is missing. The guest kitchen has modern gas hobs for cooking as well as a brand new microwave. We replenish the kitchen with tea towels twice daily when the kitchen is cleaned. We are located in the heart of the Taupo bar and restaurant district so there can be noise from the street and our bar on busier nights of the week. We also provide ear plugs for guests who have difficulty sleeping.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This hostel was in a good location, but the room we were in (4-bed ensuite) was SO cramped. Fortnuately, we had no problems with noise being situated at the other side of the hostel from the bar, but I know a lot of people I talked to couln't get to sleep before 3am because it was so loud. Wifi costs, but as does every place in NZ, and the kitchen facilites were good with a nice balcony area too!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hostel was alright. The room was fine but the beds were really rickety and noisy every time you moved in them. The kitchen is big but has no appliances. It has hobs but no ovens. It does however have a really nice sun deck off from the kitchen with nice views of the lake.

However, the worst thing about this hostel is the noise. It is over the road from a really cheesy, crap nightclub playing horrible music. The windows let all the noise through, the hostel seriously needs to invest in some sound proofing! If you have any taste in music or any desire to sleep before 4am, think twice about staying here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. Base Taupo is a modern building with good sound proofing. We are located in the Taupo bar and restaurant district so we do experience some noise on the busier nights of the week. Thanks for your points on the beds in the rooms which we will tighten and ideas for guest kitchen.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

If you value sleep or your sanity, don't stay here. The facilities and rooms are practically irrelevant as you will not be able to sleep because of the insanely loud music playing all night from the club/bar next door. I changed rooms at 1am to somewhere quieter and still couldn't sleep till it was shut at 3am. And I had to be up at 5am for the Tongariro Crossing.

I got a refund on my second night and moved to Urban Retreat which was INFINITELY better and $2 cheaper.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Thanks for your feedback. We are located in the heart of the Taupo bar & restaurant district. Ear plugs are available at reception for light sleepers. I trust you enjoyed your Tongariro Alpine Crossing walk. One of the the highlights of NZ.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Pretty good stay- I really liked the modern building and showers Etc.
Nice view from the kitchen deck. Good location. Had a good time clubbing in the bar with the two for one drinks armband!
Bit noisy from bar across the street at bed time- glad I bought ear plugs.
Overall nice facility tho :)

• Stayed: December 2013

Thanks for your feedback and great that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

On arrival on New Year's Eve to base taupo the rude girl behind the desk insisted that she took my id as security that we would give the room key back even though we had already paid a refundable $20 for it. The next day when I went to get it so we could rent a car they had 'misplaced' my driving licence which is near impossible to get a new one as I am in new Zeland and it's a English One. We went out on our first night there (New Years Eve ) and came back around 2am to a lady standing at the bottom of the stairs checking key cards so that no strangers stay, my boyfriend showed ours and walked up to our room, as I went to follow the lady stopped me and said 'I was not aloud to stay with him , we don't have this behaviour here' I explained that we had a double room and are engaged etc but she refused to accept it, even though I had paid for the room ! After about half a hour of explaining I just brushed past her and went to my room as I was fed up, she shouted u the stairs for me to come back !
There is also a speaker in the room that the staff bellow through early hours of the morning and the club underneat thumping night and day!
I would not reccomend this at all, although funny now it was so annoying at the time !

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback. We take a copy of photo id for each guest so that we have a record of all guests who are staying. On New Year's Eve we have many people attempting to get into the hostel without registering as a bonafide guest. Hence we do scrutinise who comes into the hostel. With a double room there should have been no issues as a guest of this room type if you registered with our reception team. We do have a speaker system in the hostel for tanoy announcements; however, this is not permitted for use by staff in the early hours of the morning.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The staff are very nice and helpful, but we stayed over a weekend and really loud music went on until past 3am on Friday and Saturday night. This wasn't good when we were getting up at 5 to do the Tongariro crossing! The kitchen is a little small for the property with not many utensils/pans etc. The balcony is nice overlooking the lake, and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends