“Most inpolite staff/owners I've dealt with.Pet owners be aware of the owners incompetence”
Review of Chelmswood Motel

Chelmswood Motel
Ranked #36 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Firstly to say in one sentence:it is the most incompetent,inpolite,rude people who are running the motel. People who know nothing about hospitality industry at all,and who do not value or cherish their clients at all.
When we have arrived we were very happy about the location of the motel.It is right by the lake,and has nice views.However,all that first impression had quickly been spoiled by the rudness of the woman on reception(who turned out to be one of the owners),and later by the man(who also turned out to be the manager/owner of the motel). While the woman on reception had been doing all our documents,etc..she was not promt at all,and what had shocked me is that someone else comes in to the reception,she immediately turns away from you,and starts dealing with that person who just showed up,while inpolitely just leaving you to stat there and wait.What kind of service is that?
Never mind.After that when she is going to show us the rooms,she is seeing our small dog and shouts "is that a dog you have?" (yelling like she has seen a ghost)-while our dog is a beautiful yourkshire terrier girl whose weight is 2kgs. At that moment she is telling us you can keep your dog in your car or in room 14.No explanations why is it,etc..while,we had choosen this motel because it showed up as pet-friendly.So why would I actually be told in which room i should keep my dog?Well,we just were like ok.We had 3 rooms,and while we were deciding who is gonna stay where and looking at the rooms,our dog just like stepped in other 2 rooms,she did not even go through the rooms,just like stepped inside.Suddenly,a man who as it looks the owner,comes to us and starts talking to us in a totally inacceptable manner."You were told to keep the dog there,and i have seen in the cameras,she had already been in other two rooms,if she is gonna go to other rooms we gonba charge you 15$ per each rooms cleaning". Even though he was totally inpolite,and no one should be talked in that manner to,especially thr clients,-we just disregarded that and said "ok,we will now knowing the reason will keep our dog in room 14". It makes sence,that we should have been told about cleaning charge wheb we have checked in.They did not mention anything about it.Staying in the room only one night,we have kept our dog in room 14 as we were told,even though it was totally inconveniet for us,as my dog stays only with me,and i had to leave her with my parents,as they had to stay in room 14. And what shock we geg when we are checking out...We are being charged for all the rooms cleaning...Just because our girl had stepped there for one second,abd plus we had not been warned at first about any charged that can occur. No norman owners would ever charge us looking at our dog.We had been travelling for 2 weeks around South Island,and even hotels which were "no pets" were telling us dont keep ypur baby in your car,you can keep it in the room,Because,seriously,what damage could little yorkshire terrier do?But i understand that there is a policy etc,i do not mean that owners of this hotels should not charge,i mean that they must tell in advance about any chatged incurring,and explain reasons for why keeping the dog in particular room. More than that,it is only when we left that we had found out that they had charged us actually 30$ more for what they should have for the 3 rooms cleaning. We were returned 30$ less money.
Living in New Zealand for 5 years...I have never met such inpolite,invompetent,completely unprofessional owners..It just looks like all they want is money from you,and they do not care about the impression they have on their clients,they are not looking as keeping you as permanent customer.Working myself in a hospitality industry,I must say i was dreadfully dissapointed.I will never ever recomment this motel to anyone,nor to pet owners nor to people with pets,Because i do not think that any client should experience this inpoliteness and feel unrelaxed at this place.I would recomment to search for a motel with more polite owners.

Having said that,I have also remembered that when I told the owners,I am gonna leave you a feedback, they shouted me back "we will too!". I was like "excuse me,what???". You guys are owning a motel,what are you actually saying. In every other hotel, usually the staff/owners will try solving the problem,and try to make you happy-eveb if you are not right.Because in hospitality business there is a rule that "Client is always right". And hearing that "we will leave you a feedback too",.. i was like "woow,you guys have to go to university to learn some manners",

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank PolinaKozlova
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

We thank you for your review; as a Bartercard user Eastern Rentals 2011 Ltd, you run your own business & clearly you understand that there are rules about turning up to a motel with a dog, the same as there are in renting a vehicle from your firm, which we note from your website you are not pet friendly.
Firstly, you knew prior approval was required; you used a child to hide on the other side of your van with your dog, hardly being honest. You were caught, unfortunately we tried to assist by allowing you to have your dog with you in one designated room which you agreed to, you had 3 rooms, you totally ignored our requests allowing your dog to enter all three rooms, you ignored the areas for dog toileting, you allowed it to play/tear the net curtains and challenge other guests. Your pet was viewed by us in person, and recorded on the complex security cameras. We spoke to you a number of times you choose to ignore us.
We have over 300 pet guests every year that all pre-book a pet room “The pet rules apply to them” we never have a problem with them or their pet. The 10 that do not pre-book but just turn up or sneak a pet in are always the ones that abuse the privilege, totally ignore the rules and when pulled up make excuses and become abusive. Your behaviour was not acceptable and it is our job to point this out to you and your review response lacks honesty & any care for other guest’s rights. 34 other rooms of guests are entitled to have an enjoyable time and future guests are entitled to have a room that a pet has not been in.
We have agonised over our pet policy for some time but you have assisted in us arriving at a hard decision, as of 1st January 2014 we will no longer take in any pet that is not pre-booked.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stay at Chelmswood 4 times plus per year. The service ist excellent. The facilities for guests are great. Newest is table tennis. We booked for a larger group and we and our children had a great time. Spotless clean units, Outdoor funiture great BBQ's. And we turned the conference in ahobby room. Thank you Janice and Brian.

Room Tip: there are family units, for couples , I suggest any room with a Lake few No.14-25. Private hotpool...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Hpm37
Great to have you back again and you are correct, as many of our guest are regulars we certainly try to keep things fresh and up to date the new table tennis table been used very regularly since its arrival.
regards Chelmswood team

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Originally stayed here five years ago, stayed in a nice room overlooing the lake, back three years ago in a more 'disapointing' room, with no view.
This time I am back overlooking the lake, pleasant rooms, complete with your own hot spa tub, about 800 wide and 1600 long and ample deep enough, and the spa water isn't as smelly as in Rotorua !
Very helpful staff, good standard of room service, breakfasts can be provided.
The motel is about 3km south of the town centre, with a pleasant half hour walk along the shore line, with ducks, black swans, gulls and umpteen runners/joggers/cyclists.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Hi 1777NT

It was great that you choose to stay with Chelmswood Again and I am pleased that this visit you were able to enjoy the changes that we have made since we bought the business not long after your last visit. Our continuous maintenance and upgrade programme will ensure that we continue to surprise.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I had to send 3 guys to work in taupo, I needed secure parking for a large truck and support vehicle and not have to unload the truck of tools and materials at night.
Biran and Janice had a secure carpark under camera, they made sure the guys were given a hearty breakfast and recommended restrauants at night for them.
The guys were extremly happy.Resonable pricing at short notice and the family unit meant the guys had some time alone space.
Well done .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hi Kevin
Thank you for taking a moment to post this review, it completely took us by surprise. It is a pleasure to have your guys stay with us, they are always respectful of our tourist guests and often share their knowledge freely with them regarding local points of interest. Although they start early they always park their rigs away from the buildings and quietly sneak down the secondary driveway ensuring that do not disturb other guests. Always appreciated and doesn't go unnoticed.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Our cycle group have being using Chelmswood Motel for the past 5 years and every time we have appreciate the extra distance that Brian and Janice go to, to make people welcome.
Never had a problem staying there and it annoys me when I read this negative comment about a party venue.
I would fully recommend staying in this motel, everything is there, including a hot pool.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hi Don

Thank you for the great feed back we really appreciate it.
We really take out hat off to your company, you have created an unbelievable company culture that sees you enter teams of enthusiastic staff in the cycle classic, the round the lake relay, and not the mountain goat race. these people are a credit to you and great ambassadors' for your company, and their behaviour is exemplary.
We always welcome your stays any look forward to the next five years.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Chelmswood Motel this week and we found it very satisfactory.
It's set back from the road, which means no traffic noise, apart from what you'd expect from other guests coming and going.
It may not be the Savoy but the proprietors, Brian and Janice have provided everything one could need for a comfortable stay and were happy to satisfy additional requests for anything further to enhance our visit - e.g. extra pillows.
The main part of town is a 30-40 minute walk along the Lake shore, which was absolutely delightful because we love to walk. But Brian was always ready to take us into or out of town in the shuttle bus if we were weary, and unfailingly cheerful and helpful in the process.
In fact, when we first got off the bus in Taupo, a quick call brought him straight into town to pick us up and he gave us a quick orientation trip around the main streets on the way to the motel. A wonderful welcome for a pair of strangers to the area.
Needless to say, he drove us back to the bus stop on the morning of our departure - having given us each a bottle of water for the journey and two souvenir biros! A nice little touch which we appreciated.
If we return to Taupo, a magnificent inland sea, we won't hesitate to give Chelmswood a call.
C. & S. Barrett

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

That's for your welcome feed back we do really appreciate it.
We from personal experience know what it is like to travel in another country using local transport, so it was our pleasure to ensure the shuttle was available to assist with your exploration of our little bit of paradise.
We hope you manage to include Taupo on a future holiday.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

People like myself who use Trip Advisor regularly, will be aware that you need to look at the range of reviews given to any place. I advise caution about this motel and look at the range of reviews.You can see upon reading the positive reviews that it is a very social motel. People do like it as a party venue and a place to take cars etc and enjoy the ability to make noise. It was in my stay, a very noisy motel. Both outside and inside, I could hear voices from the next door unit and their plumbing .The guest compendium is a clue to a guests ability to do this. Unlike almost every other Hotel/motel I have ever stayed in this Motel DOES NOT have a time stipulated for quiet. By this I mean most every other accommodation will state that guests are required to be quiet after a set time and all visitors must have vacated. In my experience this is often stated as around. 9.30-10pm. The compendium at this motel merely asks guests to be courteous of others in regard to noise. Which in my stay did not happen.The design of the motel means that the parking area acts as somewhat of an amplifier of noise too. The private thermal pools are a nice touch but again caution....mine needed cleaning, with left over debris in the plug hole and in the surrounding rock area. I unfortunately,did not find the proprietor helpful nor that pleasant,other reviewers appear to have found him to be a good host however I did not. I therefore have to assume this hospitality is somewhat limited or perhaps offered to certain guests and not others? The rather lengthy responses to trip advisors reviews and his list of excuses and rationales is also cautionary in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bolixnz
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Smart Trip advisor readers will see that Bolix NZ is the family of Tracy H.