Chelmswood Motel Taupo
$137
$120
Wairakei Resort Taupo(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$103
  • Pool
Hilton Lake Taupo(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$166
$156
  • Pool
$482
$469
Cascades Lakefront Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$92
$90
Beechtree Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$134
$96
$247
$219
Priceline
Acapulco Motor Inn(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$75
$67
Priceline
The Lake Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$99
$89
Baycrest Lodge(Taupo)(Great Value!)
All reviewsmineral poolbottled waterwarm outdoor poollake viewoutdoor furniturestayed for nightssky tvno air conditioninggreat spotstudio unitdefinitely stay here againsmall kitchenettefamily rooma great place to stayfull kitchenacross the roadshort drive
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Originally stayed here five years ago, stayed in a nice room overlooing the lake, back three years ago in a more 'disapointing' room, with no view.
This time I am back overlooking the lake, pleasant rooms, complete with your own hot spa tub, about 800 wide and 1600 long and ample deep enough, and the spa water isn't as smelly as in Rotorua !
Very helpful staff, good standard of room service, breakfasts can be provided.
The motel is about 3km south of the town centre, with a pleasant half hour walk along the shore line, with ducks, black swans, gulls and umpteen runners/joggers/cyclists.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Hi 1777NT

It was great that you choose to stay with Chelmswood Again and I am pleased that this visit you were able to enjoy the changes that we have made since we bought the business not long after your last visit. Our continuous maintenance and upgrade programme will ensure that we continue to surprise.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I had to send 3 guys to work in taupo, I needed secure parking for a large truck and support vehicle and not have to unload the truck of tools and materials at night.
Biran and Janice had a secure carpark under camera, they made sure the guys were given a hearty breakfast and recommended restrauants at night for them.
The guys were extremly happy.Resonable pricing at short notice and the family unit meant the guys had some time alone space.
Well done .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hi Kevin
Thank you for taking a moment to post this review, it completely took us by surprise. It is a pleasure to have your guys stay with us, they are always respectful of our tourist guests and often share their knowledge freely with them regarding local points of interest. Although they start early they always park their rigs away from the buildings and quietly sneak down the secondary driveway ensuring that do not disturb other guests. Always appreciated and doesn't go unnoticed.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Our cycle group have being using Chelmswood Motel for the past 5 years and every time we have appreciate the extra distance that Brian and Janice go to, to make people welcome.
Never had a problem staying there and it annoys me when I read this negative comment about a party venue.
I would fully recommend staying in this motel, everything is there, including a hot pool.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hi Don

Thank you for the great feed back we really appreciate it.
We really take out hat off to your company, you have created an unbelievable company culture that sees you enter teams of enthusiastic staff in the cycle classic, the round the lake relay, and not the mountain goat race. these people are a credit to you and great ambassadors' for your company, and their behaviour is exemplary.
We always welcome your stays any look forward to the next five years.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Chelmswood Motel this week and we found it very satisfactory.
It's set back from the road, which means no traffic noise, apart from what you'd expect from other guests coming and going.
It may not be the Savoy but the proprietors, Brian and Janice have provided everything one could need for a comfortable stay and were happy to satisfy additional requests for anything further to enhance our visit - e.g. extra pillows.
The main part of town is a 30-40 minute walk along the Lake shore, which was absolutely delightful because we love to walk. But Brian was always ready to take us into or out of town in the shuttle bus if we were weary, and unfailingly cheerful and helpful in the process.
In fact, when we first got off the bus in Taupo, a quick call brought him straight into town to pick us up and he gave us a quick orientation trip around the main streets on the way to the motel. A wonderful welcome for a pair of strangers to the area.
Needless to say, he drove us back to the bus stop on the morning of our departure - having given us each a bottle of water for the journey and two souvenir biros! A nice little touch which we appreciated.
If we return to Taupo, a magnificent inland sea, we won't hesitate to give Chelmswood a call.
C. & S. Barrett

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

That's for your welcome feed back we do really appreciate it.
We from personal experience know what it is like to travel in another country using local transport, so it was our pleasure to ensure the shuttle was available to assist with your exploration of our little bit of paradise.
We hope you manage to include Taupo on a future holiday.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

People like myself who use Trip Advisor regularly, will be aware that you need to look at the range of reviews given to any place. I advise caution about this motel and look at the range of reviews.You can see upon reading the positive reviews that it is a very social motel. People do like it as a party venue and a place to take cars etc and enjoy the ability to make noise. It was in my stay, a very noisy motel. Both outside and inside, I could hear voices from the next door unit and their plumbing .The guest compendium is a clue to a guests ability to do this. Unlike almost every other Hotel/motel I have ever stayed in this Motel DOES NOT have a time stipulated for quiet. By this I mean most every other accommodation will state that guests are required to be quiet after a set time and all visitors must have vacated. In my experience this is often stated as around. 9.30-10pm. The compendium at this motel merely asks guests to be courteous of others in regard to noise. Which in my stay did not happen.The design of the motel means that the parking area acts as somewhat of an amplifier of noise too. The private thermal pools are a nice touch but again caution....mine needed cleaning, with left over debris in the plug hole and in the surrounding rock area. I unfortunately,did not find the proprietor helpful nor that pleasant,other reviewers appear to have found him to be a good host however I did not. I therefore have to assume this hospitality is somewhat limited or perhaps offered to certain guests and not others? The rather lengthy responses to trip advisors reviews and his list of excuses and rationales is also cautionary in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bolixnz
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Smart Trip advisor readers will see that Bolix NZ is the family of Tracy H.