“Very clean and comfortable”
Review of Chelmswood Motel

Chelmswood Motel
Ranked #35 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here for only one night but it was the most memorable one. We had a private mineral bath tub in our one bedroom apartment. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Yes, we had heated floor as well as heater and electric blankets. The apartment was nice and warm with a functional kitchenette. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback it is really appreciated. we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Although we just arrived tonight we couldn't be happier with our choice of motels. The manager was so friendly and helpful. He brought us an extra blanket and pillow upon arrival, and gave us suggestions for where to find a market and fishing guide for my husband. The hotel has a heated pool and thermal pools, which I am excited to take advantage of tomorrow. I was also offered the use of a bicycle for traveling around lake. We are so pleased with this accommodation that we are already discussing the possibility of staying another day. I would highly recommend this motel.

Room Tip: We are in the studio room which is the least expensive accommodation and its excellent! Even though...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great feedback it is really appreciated.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently traveled from Auckland to Queenstown with our miniature dog. I searched pet friendly accommodation before setting off and Taupo was our first stop along the way. The man who dealt with us was friendly for the first 30 seconds until I mentioned dog and then it seemed it was much more of a problem. They keep certain rooms for guests with dogs i was told and i was taken to look at one. It was dated (reading the good reviews from others I suspect the rooms reserved for dog owners are the worst rooms). The thermal pool was very stained, and dirty and cracked. The grout and tiles suspect for cleanliness too and I would not have used it had we stayed. I asked how it was cleaned and was told the staining was from the thermal water and could not be removed but I'm a very good cleaner and felt this was more than staining. The bathroom was old as well and there was nothing special about the furnishings.

I was told where to put the dogs bed, an unusual comment which made me wonder if he thought our dog didn't have a bed. Because we had arrived late in the day and i didn't want to waste time looking around I decided to take it anyway despite the price being way more than what I had seen advertised on the internet for a last minute booking. However at that stage i was asked for my vaccination certificates for the dog. Of course we didn't have any with us so we were turned away.

My concerns are firstly if vaccination certificates are required why is this not mentioned in their advertising and why was i not asked for them immediately rather than waste my time showing me the room.

Secondly I question the requirement for vaccination certificates. Dog viruses and diseases are generally acquired through physical dog to dog contact. There is more chance of catching something walking down the street than from a motel room that is cleaned after each guest. The only thing in fact that a dog could introduce is fleas and dogs are not vaccinated for fleas. Humans do not catch dog viruses and diseases so that is not an issue and if you are going to require dog vaccinations why not people vaccinations? There are more people using motel rooms than dogs and many are not vaccinated! I was told this is a health and safety regulation, I haven't been able to find this regulation online and if it is a NZ law I would appreciate the reference to it.

Fortunately this was the only place who required vaccination certificates. Everywhere else we stayed including the nice and cheaper motel about 100metres away from this one welcomed us.

I did speak to a couple of managers about the pros and cons of being pet friendly and I am aware there are guests that are making managers weary of accommodating dogs. I got the feeling that this place didn't really want dogs even though they advertised as pet friendly. Maybe they have had bad experiences. If so they would be far better to do what the lovely manager of the dunedin motel we stayed at did. She has 'little chats' with guests who arrive with dogs outlining her requirements which are:

1. dogs are not permitted in or on human beds
2. dogs are not permitted on furniture
3. dogs are not to be left alone in the motel
4. No huge bouncy active dogs.

I understand and agree with all those things and would add - if your dog is big and loses hair a lot, It should have a bath at home before you come away and do not play and pet it inside the motel (because that makes it lose hair). Exercise them well outside each day so when inside they are happy to sit quietly in their beds. Please dog owners don't spoil our reputation, be responsible - when you vacate the premises there should be no evidence a dog was there at all.

As a dog owner I do appreciate that there are places that will accommodate our dog. But we live in a modern, very clean home and when I travel I don't want to drop my standards. I don't want to be given the worst room in the place at full price or more because I have my dog. I don't want to be treated like a second class citizen because I have a dog.

I graded the service of this hotel as terrible because of the manner in which we were dealt. The highest grading was its location because it is over the road from the lake, but there are lots of places along this stretch of road closer to the lake and closer to town. I graded the room as poor because it needs updating. This was a 'dog room' others may be better,but my review is for dog owners because this is where you will be placed in this motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank clare w
Chelmswood M, Manager at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

This person did not stay at Chelmswood, on arrival she did not declare a pet until after she had viewed a room. She did not have a current vaccination certificate for the dog. We have simple rules and we apply them to every pet booking. All pets must be pre arranged, (this is when we request evidence of vaccination and registration, and requirement for pets bedding and onsite policy, i.e. not left alone on site, leash areas, exercise areas etc.)
We are one of a very few in Taupo that still accepts pets and this person is an example of why motels are becoming pet unfriendly, booking not prearrange, dog not declared up front, no vaccination evidence, and when being declined a room, we become overpriced, outdated, dirty, not pet friendly and unpleasant.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

After a long day of driving in the rain, I was lucky enough to stop here!! The host was so kind! Showed me rooms to choose from, helped me find a wonderful neighborhood restaurant/bar for a wonderful dinner. The room is clean and happily situated with a view of the lake! Did I mention that I have a kitchenette, vaulted ceilings, under floor heating, and a spa mineral bath tub? I couldn't be happier. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Its always pleasing to get great feed back from international travellers, as you have normally stayed at several places during you trip and are making direct comparisons with the various accommodators. Thank You and we hope to tempt you back to Taupo Again a longer stay.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Rooms underfloor heating was unbelievable with 3 degree frost outside and 20 plus inside our unit. Outdoor pool at 38 degrees was amazing and the indoor thermal pool was so relaxing we will be back simply to soak away our winter aches and pains. the hosts could not do enough to make our holiday rememberable. the little extras make this place really special.

Room Tip: Go Lakeview and you will be really pleased
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to post your great comments.
We really appreciate them.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend - 9 of us split across two rooms. Very impressed. Thermal spas are nice. Location is great. Staff friendly. Had been into our rooms and turned the heaters on as we were arriving late at night. Put up with some noise from us while watching the rugby (every room has Sky). Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The two bedroom apartments are very spacious with a good kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

It was a pleasure to have your group with us and thank you for taking the time to post a review.
it is appreciated.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Why in a large complex with only 3 cars in the carpark this morning
Put you in a unit next to two workmen who were happy to be away from home ...hence the noise
But in the morning i am awoken by contractors working redecorating with a radio blaring in the passageway
Surely common sense would be to place people if possible away from these other noisy parties
Would i return .... No dont believe management have an understanding of guests satisfaction

• Stayed: May 2013
Chelmswood M, Owner at Chelmswood Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Hi John

You are correct although the relieving managers did seperate you from the workman staying by two room spaces, unfortunately some guests are noisy at times but we address this immediately when informed. Because the painters were working at this end of the block they were probably thinking about paint fumes.
We do not allow contractors to start on site before 8.30am and we reconfirm with all trades people working on site, no radios before 10am.
We invite you on your next visit to try a lakeview unit which has its own seperate enterences and is far more sound proofed. We apologise for your inconvenience and wish you had bought it to our attention on the day.