“Great Italian restaurant”

Ranked #53 of 181 Restaurants in New Plymouth
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Great italian menu but quite a small restaurant so tends to get very full -. Extremely popular and has been delivering wonderful italian fare for many years

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Although a single visit may not qualify me to review Portofino in any depth, first impressions can be valuable. I did vist this eatery years ago when it first opened, and in those days it was more Pizzeria. Now it has a very extensive menu indeed.
As a group of four we sampled Portofino on Easter Monday. Our reserved table was available and service was prompt and reasonably attentive. I would say that it was about 35% occupied, and my first thought was of noise. In perhaps Italian style most surfaces were hard bare timber and ceramic wall tiles with the resultant acoustics making any conversation below shout volume quite difficult. The underlying bass thumping of the music system did nothing to help.
Behind the counter there seemed to be some sort of altercation going on between staff, with lots of waving of dockets, stabbing fingers and wiping of brows. Don't ask.
Directly opposite to my seat were some prominent and rather unfriendly wall notices, all in large red type. 'Intoxicated patrons will not be served' and 'No ID, No Service, No Exeptions', or words to that effect. Turning to the menu I found similarly admonitory conditions: 'Minimum order per client, one maincourse meal' and 'Only one order per table'. It appeared to me that in a city like New Plymouth with its huge over-supply of restaurants, snack-bars and take-outs, Portofino must be very sure of its commercial situation to be able to dictate the terms on which it will accept its patrons money.
As I have said, the decor is in trattoria style with bare wooden tables and one knife, one fork and one paper napkin per person. Paper? Yes, but at least it bore the Portofino logo.
Having dealt with most of the gripes, the menu is certainly extensive, if overpriced, with a plate of scampi at over $50. A reasonable range of entres, followed by a selection of seafood - mostly prawn, squid or scallop based (almost certainly pre-frozen), a whole page of pasta based meals and pizzas, and a selection of meat and fish.
Three of us chose the 'Fish of the day', which was gurnard fillets on rice with a piquant caper and india-rubber shrimp dressing. (Pre-frozen, pre-cooked shrimp are a trap for any cook!) The whole dish, somewhat strangely, covered with salad leaves. The food was tasty, well prepared, and servings were adequate. Serving time from ordering time was 45 minutes.
Overall, I would rate the ambience and general surrounding at 3, the service at 5 and the food at 7.
Would I go there again? Given the adequate supply of restaurants in this city, probably not.

1  Thank nevl
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Just happened to come across Portofinos as we were driving down the road. They were very busy but were able to give us a table at a moments notice. Customer service was fantastic, so friendly and the food was just beautiful!!! We will be back next time we are in New Plymouth.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Love everything. The menu is vast, the best selection you'll find in New Plymouth. Mouth watering.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

I've been to this restaurant couple of times.. After my first time I wasn't very impressed with the speed of the service.. (5 years ago)... however I have to say.... It has improved so much.... that now.. myself and my partner go quite often. We absolutely love it. I normally have RISOTTO ALLA PESCATORA (approx NZD25) and I love it. Service is always good and. My partner tried CARPACCIO DI SALMONE AFFUMICATO and she also love it. Dishes are good size. This restaurant is also BYO.... quite convenient.... If you come to Taranaki, make sure you go out for dinner to Portofino. The price for 2 people will be around NZD 70...if you bring your wine..