“Last resort or convenience”

Cobb & Co. New Plymouth
Ranked #74 of 164 Restaurants in New Plymouth
Cuisines: New Zealand, European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Auckland, New Zealand
“Last resort or convenience”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The picture accompanying this restaurant is not actually part of the establishment!! Very misleading. We ate at this restaurant because it was across the road from where we were staying. Some food advertised on the menu was not available and hadn't been for days. We were told there would be a half hour wait although there were empty tables. Apparently the kitchen staff couldn't cope with any more than about 20 diners at a time.

Food took far too long to be served and the attention to detail was not there eg when you ask for no ice in a drink you don't expect to get it, if you ask for 2 spoons to share the dessert you expect to get it. Observing the staff at work it was evident that there were no systems in place to take orders, or clear tables. Wait staff would pass tables more than once and not clear dirty plates from customers who had long finished and left the diner (not good enough to call a restaurant!)

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Judith D

Whangarei, New Zealand
“AWFUL!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

A friend took me here for a meal after a long day, handy to our motel.
Staff were fine, beer was cold, but the food was probably the worst I have ever had.
The meat (pork) appeared to have been cooked beyond any recommended amount, as had the vegetables. The "fluffy" potatoes mash had so little moisture left it was returning to a solid spud again, the greens were not green... and probably more of a mush than the spud!
If it hadn't been for the cold beer and friendly staff, a single rating would have been to high! Never again...

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Chaz258
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Take the Quikeze”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

A nostalgic visit after 25 years. Would it be as I remembered? No, it's not. Some dishes were ok. Soup of the day was tasty and the garlic bread passable. And the traffic lights, laced with vodka to lighten the mood, were fun. The salt & pepper squid floated in a sea of oil on the plate. The vol au vente was like licking Lake Grassmere, it was so salty. The schnitzel was deep fried, then deep fried again, then for good measure was deep fried, so it presented as an almost black lump of "stuff" on the plate and needed some serious knife work to cut it. The pork ribs were quite tasty - as they should be with the amount of sugar in the sauce. It should have come with a diabetes warning, and as I write this, some 12 hours later, their energy quotient is still fuelling my system.

Service was friendly and efficient, and the ambience, whilst far from what I recall of the traditional Cobb & Co settings, was industrial site cafe ok.

I wonder how it will shape up in 25 years when I next go back!

Visited October 2013
Cambridge, New Zealand
“Good meal open on public holidays”
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed my meal. We ordered meal of the day and a dessert. It was open on a public holiday no need to book. We all enjoyed our meals. Only concern it was quite dark and there was limited lighting outside to go to our vehicles

Visited April 2013
Taupo, New Zealand
“What a shocker”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I should have learnt from last time. I ordered the pork roast again. I love a bit of crackling with some juicy slices of succulent pork, apple sauce and roast veges. Well, the crackling was the size of a 50 cent piece (2 thumb nails for overseas readers) and tasted the same. The six slices of dried out pork resembled cardboard in looks and taste. Absolutely disgusting. Why I paid for it is a mystery. I don't like conflict I guess. I did complain to a vey apologetic waitress who said that they had been serving it all day with no complaints. Therein lies the problem. It had been cooked that morning or the day before and pork doesn't like sitting around especially in slices! The pumpkin was rock hard. The boss didn't respond until I presented to pay the bill and in a very condescending manner wondered what I was complaining about. What a shocker.

• Visited May 2013