“Great motel, recommended”

Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great motel, recommended”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We didn't book anywhere and ended up here by chance on arrival .

Really impressed. Immaculately clean, big rooms with large chairs.
It's a short walk from the city, and on road out to mt taranaki.

The owner was really helpful, and provides free DVDs to watch, and various things like baby baths which we needed.

Would definatley stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chrisjamesb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hebrew first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Great friendly host, but room servicing was a real problem.

Great idea to have a library & free magazines to read.

We stayed 6 nights on business, have stayed several times in the past, but servicing has definitely gone down since our last visit.

Returned first night & room had not been serviced at all. Second night bed not made, only some tea/shampoo etc restocked (1 shampoo sachet in a room with 2 people!)

Major problem with ants, our food had to be thrown out.

Bed a bit tired, could do with replacing

TV at ceiling height, why do motels do this, nobody hangs a TV at this height at home, so why on earth would you want to at a motel.

$125.00 a night for a studio was a bit steep for what was offered

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank fibreartist
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We found this to be a spotlessly clean,comfortable establishment just a minute or two from the town's amenities.It was nice to be greeted by a genuinely amenable and informative gentleman on arrival who handed us a carton of milk,told us of the free broadband available and also that there was a free newpaper the next morning
Our apartment was well equipped for the preparation of simple meals,although we ate out.We shall definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PASTACARA
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This Motor Lodge is the best we have stayed in in New Zealand. The rooms are comfortable and extremely clean with every amenity the traveler needs. We stayed in the two-bedroom apartment for one night, and a studio for two nights. Ross and Sheryll are friendly and extremely helpful. We arrived expecting to stay one night, but extended our stay to three nights because we couldn't envision being this comfortable anywhere else. Great walking and running trails nearby as well as beautiful parks. I give my highest reccomendation to this Motor Lodge.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OzLover1969
Hastings
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed with a group and we had a few hiccups with our timings due to the schedule for the event we were attending coming out late and finding we really only needed 1 night, not the 2 we had booked). Ross was very understanding of our changes when half the group decided to only stay one night. Thank you.

I had an exec studio and the room itself was lovely. Very clean, and I really liked having dark green towels - I just hate the white towels you usually get in motels (that show any bits of makeup that I miss taking off!). The room has two comfy recliner chairs, king bed (that could be split in 2 if needed), lovely shower with awesome water pressure, small things like tissues, reasonably priced mini bar (instead of the overthetop ones I usually encounter). I was able to order (free of charge) one from a selection of daily newspapers, borrow magazines (and one I was even told I could keep, although I'll return it now I've read it - very up to date too - it's dated tomorrow!). Best of all I have FREE broadband! Very handy as I've managed to get loads of work done! While it's on the main road into town, I barely hear the road. The weather is cold, windy and wet and all the rooms have small convection heaters in them, yet they seem to warm up the rooms so quickly. I hate to think of the power bill (maybe heat pumps would be more economical in the long term!), so only have it on long enough to heat the room and then turn it off!). Heated towel rail is nice to dry my towels, well set out kitchen, nice bathroom (complete with soap pump at the basin and shower gel over the spa bath/shower. I really enjoyed staying here and would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Goddygirl
North Island
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Have just been on a 2nights stay here during Labour Weekend. Booked a roomy 3br unit and it was fantastic. Room was modern and well kept, T & B was spacious and had 2 LCD TVs, a DVD, and the privacy of having our own courtyard, great for us who wants privacy and space for our little girls. The dishwasher was a huge convenience, as my sister and I are hygiene freaks and always wash dishes, etc before we use them when we stay in any hotels/motels. The beds are firm but bit bouncy, so if you have someone sleeping beside you who keeps on tossing and turning may not quite work. The king beds can be made to 2 singles anyway so that worked. Location is also very handy to everything, parks and supermarkets just less than 2-3 minutes drive. Quiet street. Ross was a very amiable host and was very accommodating and helpful and knowledgeable from the moment we arrived. Overall, I would definitely find myself booking again with this motel if we're visiting New Plymouth.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family