“We will be back!”

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Cambridge, null, New Zealand
“We will be back!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Honestly we all loved our stay and won’t hesitate to stay again. In fact we are looking at having our wedding reception at Auto Lodge now. The pool and spa were both great distractions for the kids as well as us. We were able to cook with fantastic cooking facility in the room. The bedding was clean and very comfortable. We all had a lovely quiet sleep and woke up to the kids enjoying the TV, thanks to a later checkout. Thank you so much for providing such a lovely family environment. We will be back!

Room Tip: Great family rooms avalible where kids get to sleep in there own beds, its great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I've stayed here a lot. Its always had excellent food. The rooms have been recently renovated to a good standard.The indoor heated swimming pool is great The best thing about the place are the staff, some of the best I've met anywhere in the world!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and/or a room with a sea view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here for 9 days on business in New Zealand. On 1st glance I thought I was back in the 70's as the rooms need a bit of a "modern" update. However, the staff are very friendly and the food is great. There is no need to go out to eat. The only thing that spoiled my visit was the weather but the hotel staff said they couldn't control that. Not to bad at all.

Room Tip: Look at this first if staying in New Plymouth. Make sure your heater in the room works to your satis...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Charleston, WV
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This might be an OK spot for a family beach vacation but we were glad to be staying only one night.

The room was large, clean and had an adequate kitchen. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The breakfast buffet was standard but nice.

The location was poor. It's on the outskirts of town, along a busy road, and is a brisk walk to any beach. The room was very noisy - the windows were single pane and loose fitting. The bathrooms were in poor repair and the water pressure was weak. The only heat was from a space heater that had no temperature control. There was no free internet at all, not even a token 20 minute per day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QualityManager0, Owner at Auto Lodge Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. Feedback is important to ensure we are meeting our guests needs and expectations. I do apologise if we did not completely create the experience you were looking for and wish you all the very best for your travels throughout New Zealand.
Kind regards
Darrin Muggeridge
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Very belated review!
My wife and I stayed at the auto lodge during our trip to New Plymouth for the Rugby World Cup.

We arrived as part of a group but were treated brilliantly by the staff. (A welcome reception after 24 hours travel is always appreciated)

As we were to discover in NZ (and this hotel is no exception) that the rooms were clean, warm and well kept and all staff cannot do enough to help and recommend places to go and see and offer tips on how to get there.

The food in the hotel restaurant was fresh, wholesome and well prepared both at dinner and at breakfast.
Without a doubt when I return to NZ I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
QualityManager0, Owner at Auto Lodge Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very pleased to read your positive comments about all aspects of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards
Darrin Muggeridge
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I booked a room for one night the 18/02, I booked on line and paid $126.50 for a room with a queen bed and one single. The room I booked was supposed to have a seaview but it didn't.
However I think they had a special on the rooms as what I paid was a reasonable price and the room I was given had been refurbished. I think they are in the process of refurbishing all the rooms. The restaurant looked like it been refurbished also. We were upstairs in room 30 it had a huge shower and the paint, curtains and bedding were nice neutral earthy colours. I walked past some of downstairs rooms on the way to the pool and noted that they looked quite dated. The pool was great for my son and a friend it was indoor and had a shallow end where you step into the pool which was good for younger children probably not great for preschoolers but fine for over 5's. The spa pool was also nice. My son and I had a juice a chocolate bar and I didn't think the mini bar prices were over the top. The location of the hotel isn't bad it's down Devon Street which is the main street in New Plymouth but it is a fair hike from the shops. It does have a great family restaurant situated in the Devon Hotel opposite it which is called Marbles and it's a buffet and of a good standard. If you stay at the Auto Lodge just make sure you get a refurbished room and ask for a seaview.
They had a wedding at the motel the weekend I was their so the hotel was fairly packed out which is probably why I didn't get my seaview.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank tweety00
El Tarter, Andorra
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed here for four nights Mid January 2012 and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The motel looks great from the road and the reception, bar and dining area look nice and modern, however the rooms are in serious need of an update / renovate.

I had a few issues with my room, mainly that being on the bottom floor I had a large glass sliding door that opened out almost onto the street which the lock barely worked on, with a few jiggles of the door the lock would release.

The motel provides a laundry, however you have to pay for the washing powder, washing machine and the drier, you also have to pay $7.50 per day for wireless internet, which I could only receive near the door in my room, very frustrating standing there with a iPhone or iPad because I couldn't get a strong enough signal elsewhere in the room.

I know my review may seem a little critical, but I get annoyed when you pay for a room (which is only average) and then get hit with all these extra charges for services I believe should be part of the package. Just seems overly greedy if you ask me.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and the rooms were kept nice and clean. I have read the other reviews and I would recommend asking for a room off the ground floor as they may have better views.

All in all, there is nothing really bad about this motel, I just found it average, nothing spectacular or memorable.

Room Tip: Choose off the bottom floor if you wish for a view ad also my glass sliding door barely locked from...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business