“Body Building Athlete stays @ Abode on Courtenay, New Plymouth”

ASURE Abode on Courtenay
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I had the pleasure of competing at the first NABBA Body Building Comp of 2012 in New Plymouth on 10-3-12, of which I won my Class, and am officially Ms Shape, Taranaki 2012.

My husband and I stayed at Abode on Courtenay in New Plymouth, which was the recommended accommodation for the Athletes.

Abode on Courtenay was a fantastic choice, great location, with friendly and helpful 'temp' managers.

The room was excellent, spacious, clean, fresh and tidy.

Whilst I did not get the room I requested I.e. with Spa Bath, our stay nonetheless was exceeded by good old fashioned and traditional Taranaki hospitality.

The location, so close to the Supermarket and within walking distance of everywhere I needed to be was a selling point for us.

Sincere thanks for a great stay and see you next year!

Room Tip: Check the night before you leave for your journey, that you have the room you requested, to avoid di...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Thanks Gary, u are a champ! Your place is perfect for our "wannabe" free style, hippie weekend at WOMAD! We will be back, book us in when dates are confirmed!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Booked here while catching up with old friends. Friendly hosts Gary & Lyn and really chatty owner (Cat) we met in the car park. Where we felt happy to leave the bike overnight and while out for the evening.
Great clean and bright rooms. Everything you could need is within a short walk of the motel.
We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Easy check- in very helpful and friendly staff , spotlessly clean, comfortable bed with good quality linen, easy walk to shops and beach, overall stay EXCELLENT 10/10

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The room was nicely decorated, the kitchen facilities were very good, full cooking equipment, nice bathroom and a really comfortable king bed. I had a ground floor room which was very handy. It is in a very good location, very central. Plenty of shops & restaurants close by. Overall stay was very nice, staff were kind and helpful :)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We were in town for a family gathering, and chose Abode on Courtenay as it had both two bedroom motel suites, and adjoining room studio suites (which effectively worked as family suites, without the additional lounge area).
The motel is a basic strip motel style, with two stories surrounding a parking courtyard. All entrances are off the carpark or balcony. There did not appear to be any children's play area, pool or the like, so it really is built for function rather than relaxation. A great place to stay, but don't expect to hang out there.
The motel rooms were comfortably furnished, and spotlessly clean. Bathrooms were modern, with reasonable amenities. I was impressed that the bathroom had a spa bath with bubble jets and built in pillow - although the bathroom steam extractor fan activated by the light switch was so loud I don't know whether it would have been possible to enjoy a peaceful and relaxing soak. In the bedroom we had a large flat screen TV, mounted high on the wall, which included 10 SKY channels. The TV had a number of different inputs, so I was able to connect my laptop up to it for the kids to watch a DVD. (although luckily I had the connection cables, as the reception wasn't able to provide them).
Abode's location on the one-way Courtenay street is VERY convenient, directly across the road from both Countdown and Pak-N-Save supermarkets, and within a block of the Warehouse, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, and Burger Fuel. It is also within a 5 minute walk of a number of restaurants and good coffee cafes, and the centre of town is only 4 city blocks and a 10 minute walk at best.
The only real issue I had was with road noise, particularly late at night with loud cars, and when people were walking home from the pub and making a lot of noise on the road outside. I was glad there was a large security fence between the motel and the Courtenay footpath.
For convenience and cleanliness, we give Abode full marks, and would happily consider staying there again for a brief stay in New Plymouth.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are at the back of the property, away from Courtenay Street
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Brett M
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed here on my recent business trip to New Plymouth as this is the closest accommodation to where I was working. Compared to my last stay in New Plymouth (Copthorne hotel) this trip was a real pleasure.

The staff at the hotel are very friendly and welcoming. The room was spotlessly clean when we arrived and the daily service was impeccable. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Two pieces of advice:
1. the hotel is on a one-way street that is busy during the day; you might want to request a room further away from the road. We were furthest away upstairs and while you could hear an occasional vehicle going down the road neither of us found it obtrusive.
2. the smoke alarms are *very* sensitive--we set them off cooking a piece of bacon!!!

In terms of recommendation: I will be using this hotel for my next business trip to New Plymouth. All our staff stay here as a corporate choice, but I will stay because it is my choice.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being too close to the street
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business