“Can't recommend highly enough”
Review of Airlie House

Airlie House
Ranked #4 of 24 New Plymouth B&B and Inns
London, England
“Can't recommend highly enough”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I stayed here on my own for 3 nights in June and would recommend Airlie House to everyone. I was visiting New Zealand for a friend's wedding and in between staying with her, I travelled around on my own. I was a little worried how that would go, but Gabrielle was so welcoming and made me feel at home straight away, I did not want to leave! I stayed in the studio room so I could cook for myself if I chose to, and I was very pleased with the space and facilities. As I was visiting in winter, the room was a little cold, but the electric blankets came in very handy!
The B & B is extremely well located, being within easy walking distance of the coastal walkways and the centre of town, but is also very peaceful. I saw some of the other places I had looked at on Trip Advisor and they were either much further out or on busy main roads.
Gabrielle was very helpful in recommending places to visit and things to do and her breakfasts were delightful. The little extra touches like cookies left each day in the kitchen and robes in the bathroom were very welcome, and helped to make the stay here a memorable one.
I hope to return to New Plymouth when I visit New Zealand again, and won't consider looking anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Worldismylobster21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Vancouver
Reviewed March 25, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at Airlie House for 5 nights. There is no other adjective but perfect. If there is anything that Gabrielle hasn't thought of to make her guests comfortable, we can't think what it would be!

The house itself is beautiful - lovely old wood furniture with contemporary decor. Our double room was large with large bath/shower room. The setting combines being central to town (10 minute walk) but because the house is behind a large hedge, traffic noise is minimal. The house is surrounded by a delightful garden.

Breakfast ranges can include a cooked breakfast, fresh fruit, baked goods, yogurt - delicious and plentiful.

Important for us was the study where a computer with internet was available free of charge to guests. The room also included a large screen TV with a wide range of DVD's for a quiet evening. In addition, each room has a small TV with cable.

The small touches which really set this experience apart include:
- beautiful linens with ironed sheets (who irons sheets??)
- cookies, tea, coffee and small chocolate bars in the rooms
- attractive living room with fridge for guests use
- off street parking
- useful tourist brochures as well as advice from the owner Gabrielle
- Gabrielle's charming and lively personality - helpful but never intrusive

This is the best bed and breakfast we have ever visited. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vancouvertraveler50
Manawatu
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at this centrally located, elegant, warm New Plymouth villa. It was my first stay at Bed and Breakfast accommodation. We booked the Garden Room, a very large double room with an almost equally large separate bathroom, complete with shower and bath. The room was quiet and peaceful with a stunning outlook on a beautiful, private front garden. The Queen-Sized bed was very comfortable. Also available to guests are a comfortable Sitting Room and a Television/Dvd Room.

Gabrielle our hostess was fantastic, welcoming and relaxed, putting us immediately at ease. She was also knowledgeable about New Plymouth which we found very helpful. The décor in the Garden Room and bathroom and throughout the house was beautiful with quality chattels, warm, clean and modern but also sensitive to the house’s historic origins. I consider this environment superior to any that a hotel room would provide.

The included breakfast was absolutely wonderful, cereals, then made to order cooked breakfast and muffins. On top of all this there were the wonderful little embellishments, like the lovely biscuits with our coffee and tea making facilities in the room, the linen towels and the bathrobe. We would not hesitate to recommend Airlie House to anyone wishing for a comfortable and relaxed stay in New Plymouth. We will definitely return!

• Liked — Style, centrality, quiet, private, friendly
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Buzzibee
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Airlie House is a tastefully redecorated colonial style house with a lovely private garden which belies its central location. The amenities are of high quality with our accomodation including a large bathroom with underfloor heating, shower and claw foot bath. The owner/hostess, Gaye, is friendly and welcoming and a font of local knowledge. The breakfast was more than ample and well cooked. Airlie House was an excellent find!

• Liked — The setting, location, decor and the hospitality of the owner/hostess
  • Disliked — Liked it all
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElizabethWellington
New Zealand
Reviewed October 22, 2006

Airlie House is a delightful B&B. My partner and I stayed 2 nights in the spacious and comfortable Garden Room, and I loved our private bathroom with the clawfoot bath and the lovely bath & body lotions and products available to use. There were also other welcome personal touches (e.g. delicious home baking) which seemed to be typical of the warm & friendly hospitality of our host Gabrielle (who will also offer to cook you a hearty cooked breakfast in addition to the delicious continental breakfast on offer). Located in a very central but quiet location also made this a wonderful base from which to explore the city centre and many attractions on foot. Airlie House offers accommodation with a level of comfort, ambience and quality that is great value for money, and if ever in New Plymouth again, we will definitely return to stay.

• Liked — The little personal touches that made the place comfortable
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank adski
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 1, 2006

Stayed at Airlie House for 3 nights and was very impressed with the ammenities (beautiful generous sized bedroom with super king size bed, crisp cotton linen, ensuite, window seat and if you needed it, sky tv), the friendly interaction from the host and other guests (who had stayed previously), and the delicious and hearty brekfasts. This gorgeous villa has been stylishly renovated and dressed up and is very central to town. A real find and will be back again next time in New Plymouth!

Stayed January 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2004

We were very happy to make this discovery on our journey around New Zealand. All the comforts you would expect at a 5-star hotel for a fraction of the cost. Satellite TV, wireless internet access, home baking, and excellent beds making this the most memorable B&B we have stayed in. The range of the style and quality of B&B's in New Zealand varies a lot, so am happy to share our find. Many thanks!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member