“construction in the room next to me and general noise”

The Devon Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Reviewed January 6, 2014

let me say i have stayed at the devon many times before and usually find it an ok place to stay. In this instance I stayed in room 722 and the room next to me is all boarded up and is a construction area. I came back to my room during the day to be greeted by drilling into concrete on the opposite side of the wall along with timber being cut and smashed with sledge hammers ( i know this sound as i work in construction) Now what really amazed me was why you would let that room at all? not exactly a restful stay in general. and when i checked out not i was not even asked how my stay was! i wonder if the look on my face gave it away.

Room Tip: avoid 722 at this stage
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thanks Mr Bunyan - we appreciate the feedback. With the construction of the new lift, we have restricted building to the hours of 10.00am to 5.00pm.....with all works to stop if we have guests conferring or sleeping during those hours in close proximity. I'm really sorry, we did not pick up on the issue. We are thrilled works are almost complete on the new lift, but absolutely committed to ensuring our guests are well looked after. Again, my apologies!!

There are newer reviews for The Devon Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Overall a nice place to stay. Complimentary bikes were great and few mins to the coastal walkway. Hotel looks fresh and new, bar woman was very friendly. Value for money was good. Room had nice big telly in it. Only thing which may make us think again was the pool and spa which seemed a bit dirty and needed some TLC. Spa has rusty bits in the corners so just the appearance lets it down a little.

Stayed: December 2013
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thanks for joining us, and for the feedback. I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and it sounds like you experienced some of our cocktails in the bar - excellent!
Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

For what they charge, the room is far too small, the meals are not good, I paid $150 for half a room. I ordered room service for dinner, soup and chicken bresat with salad, the soup was bland the chicken was dry and the salad was fairly pathetic and came with no dressings. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Ouch - thanks for the feedback. I shall go through with my team.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Staff were lovely and very helpful/accommodating. Entrance, lobby, hotel grounds and pool were very tidy, pretty and clean. Rooms were nothing much to write home about but still comfortable enough, clean and great beds! Quite thin walls but neighbours sounded like they were having fun and it didn't go on toooo late.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sylvia M
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thanks Sylvia - we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here when visiting family for Xmas last year.It was real nice with a good atmosphere
and lovely decor and facilities.The restaurant was very inviting and warm.Parking was easy and the hotel is very central.

Room Tip: Explore the web site
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thanks Charles,
We hope it's not long before you are back with us in Taranaki.
Kind regards,
Peter Tennent

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Normally I can sleep like a log just about anywhere, but I found the noise of the neighbour's television going on until well after 2.00am very disturbing. It wasn't loud, it was just intrusive. There were no other outside noises, excepting the shower upstairs, so I don't think labelling the whole hotel as having "paper thin walls" is appropriate ~ just more bad luck, for me, that night.

The room was a good size and overlooked the fountain and garden courtyard, which was nice. Mini bar, small table and chairs and there was REAL MILK, which is such a bonus, as I despise being presented with limited quantities in thimbles with which to make my morning coffee.

Hand towels would have been nice, and extra towels also, as there's nowhere really to dry the allocated ones if you want to shower at both night and again in the morning. The toiletries were great though, including a comb (I'd forgotten to pack mine) a razor and toothbrush.

Dined at the buffet, after most of the shrieking kids had left. We could have had a quieter a la carte menu in the bar, which is where we did start with our bottle of wine. The wine list is not extensive, but it's well~priced. The buffet had a great selection of seafood, (the only reason I'd ever *do* a buffet) a carvery, and other hot dishes, with lots of salads and vegetables, and innumerable desserts. Excellent value for large appetites. Not outstanding, from a gourmet point of view, but a good variety.

Breakfast buffet was good too, although not such good value. I suspect there is a lot of waste when doing that style, if you don't have a full house. I've eaten worse for more money is some so~called top establishments, and eaten better for less money in some corner cafes...

All up, it was just what was needed, as we were arriving late from a long trip and needed accommodation with meal options. We've stayed here before and dined in town (which is close by), and we'll probably stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thanks for joining us, and your feedback.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed in a refurbished room, the decor was modern and clean. Very comfy bed and pillows. The room was very small, okay for a solo traveller. The window is floor to ceiling and looked out to the carpark and main road so the blind had to pulled the whole time, some net curtains may help with privacy. I dined in the restaurant for the buffet dinner which was not too bad for a buffet style meal which I'm not really a fan of, would prefer a menu order restaurant. The biggest problem is the sound proofing between rooms, I was woken by neighbours showering and using their hair dryer at midnight, it was so loud I could clearly hear their conversation while they were in their bathroom. I ended up putting in earplugs and for this reason I would not be able to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the otherside of the main road for more privacy
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for joining us, and for your feedback.