“Overpriced and dirty”
Review of Ariki Backpackers

Ariki Backpackers
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Our first impression of this place was the smell. It smells of old carpet - no surprise when you see the hideous 1970s carpet and mangy old sofas around the place. Our room smelled even worse, like a hundred thousand other people had passed through in the last month. The 1950s light switches were grubby, the windows dirty and the 'wardrobe' a space with four (loose) hooks. The kitchen was a disgrace: a couple of electric-coil hobs, some of which were broken, and a poor selection of dented and burned pans. The knives were so blunt that they were dangerous. Honestly, I felt nervous walking barefoot in this place and was afraid of sleeping in the bed in case I caught something. It's a scandal that such prices are being charged for such poor quality. It's the worst standard I've seen anywhere outside of Cairo. For god's sake, give it some new carpet and a lick of paint!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ariki Backpackers

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Friendly service, great location in center of town, beach and parking garage across the street. No A/C, room smelled of body odor, bed was noisy and club downstairs. ok for price, could be better. Looks nice from the Parking garage but once I was inside I had second thoughts.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This backpackers is heart of city. Good rooms and bed. Kitchen is clean n well equipped. But i would not recommend to stay on weekends as there is a club downstairs which mean u have to either party 3am or be sleepless !!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Kaustubh12
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a couple of times and it is fantastic! Wonderful service, clean and tidy and best location! I would definately recommend to anyone staying in New Plymouth on a budget.
I will be going back for sure

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We only stayed here for one night but we'll definitely be going back. Firstly, we had problems with our transport meaning we would check-in after the reception closed. This was no problem. The manager waited up for us and met us outside the door. He even gave us a free drink for our troubles! The location was excellent - in the centre of town and 100m from the bus stop.
The only downsides were that it was very noisy due to the bar next door and very cold in the room as we couldn't get the heater to work. Other than that, excellent service!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed two nights at Ariki Backpackers early last month. It is pretty much what you would expect from a hostel, but it also has some perks. I got my own toilet & shower, and they also have a cool roof patio. The best part is the location, with Puke Ariki museum right next door and the Coastal Walkway one block away. There is also a New World and many restaurants nearby. I recommend it!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My partner and I stayed here with our two young kids (aged 8 and 9). We couldn't have found a better location, being right in the centre of New Plymouth and directly across the road from the museum. The rooms are nice and clean, the kitchen is spacious and well equipped. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The place has a good atmosphere, and we felt that the kids were also welcome. Whenever we get back to New Plymouth, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family