“Excellent food & location altho pricey!”
Review of Salt Restaurant

Salt Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 165 Restaurants in New Plymouth
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Excellent food & location altho pricey!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This is an excellent restaurant, not many like this in NZ! The menu and wine selection is excellent, very top of the range, and therefore pretty pricey too. The portions are sized to ensure you can happily finish off a tasty 3 course dinner. The location is right by the coastal walkway and with elevated indoor or outdoor seating, you're guaranteed a gorgeous view. So if you want to spoil yourself with fantastic views, excellent food & wine, and don't mind splashing the cash then I'd recommend this!

Visited February 2014
Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for our great feedback. The wine list is newly released last week.
Having dined at all restaurants in New Plymouth myself , I can tell you our mains are one of the cheapest and our entree's and desserts are the same at $16.00 & $17.00.
Our menu is a little different and the flavours are brilliant, ,unlike any other in town.
Thank you again and have a nice day.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Pleasant evening, delicious food”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

8 of us dined here (4 couples), evening was faultless, food was delicious, loved the seafood and meat platters, nice idea. I had the egg plant ravioli entree and it was the best!!! Our mains were served in perfect time and were again delicious. Overall the evening was faultless, service was perfect and we were left happy and satisfied.

• Visited January 2014
Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for your fab comments. We are delighted you had a great evening. Glad we could be our service to you. Its makes all the hard work worth it to hear feedback like this.
We hope to see you back again some time in the near future! best wishes.
“Quantity”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had previously dined at Salt and were excited about the prospect of enjoying an evening there again however we were very disappointed with our dining experience on Saturday. We have never in the past gone out for dinner only to return home afterwards still feeling hungry. My husband had an entree and main and I had a main and dessert. We both chose the special of the evening pan fried gurnard which consisted of 3 small pieces together with spinach and a few leaves. Beautifully presented but totally inadequate for a main. More entree size in our opinion and this view was shared by our friends too. Considering we paid $33 each for our main it did not meet our expectations at all. Perhaps they were running out of gurnard and to ensure they had sufficient for the evening minimized the portions?? When we mentioned we were very disappointed with the quantity they reduced our meal to $26 each and while we appreciated this gesture it was never about the money. One other detail to mention, our friends dessert was served on a chipped plate with a long crack from one corner to the center of the plate. Not what we would have expected from an upmarket restaurant. Incidentally this is the first time we have every complained about a meal we have been served but felt it was just not good enough.

• Visited February 2014
Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing salt for your dinner. I am sorry you thought the portions were small.
Our menu is designed for 3 courses and is meant to leave you satisfied. We have had a few comments about the small portions so I have asked the chef's to bulk up the meals and add a side of vegetables to each dish in future. This should sovle this issue.
I hope we will see you again in the future sometime, we would love the chance to show you we have improved. Thanks again.
Berlin, Germany
“Friendly staff but the food was terrible”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We had received a few recommendations for this establishment and therefore thought we might be safe; unfortunately, we were wrong...the food arrived stone cold and had to be send back. The staff tried to make up for it by offering us a second starter free of charge, which arrived at the same time as our microwaved main course. The meat was now burnt to death and tasted horrid. We didn't complain again because we simply needed to line our stomachs. As a treat I ordered a dessert, another mistake, as it looked and tasted like something from a kid's birthday party. I felt sorry for the friendly and competent waiting staff who has to find excuses for the kitchen's culinary crimes.

Visited January 2014
Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear we failed to meet your expectations. I am grateful the waitstaff did a great job looking after you. I appologise on behalf of the kitchen for the cold food. I can assure you no food is microwaved in the salt Kitchen. We have had alot of great comments about our desserts so I am not sure why you did not enjoy them, prehaps you were just so disapointed with your mains that it failed to make up for them, which I understand.
Once again thank you and apologies from the team here. Have a nice day.
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Yummy lunch!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a tasty lunch last weekend. We had the Mediterranean Platter with wine and finished every last bit of both :)

The service was very friendly, despite my having knocked over a glass of water almost straight away!

The outside patio has amazing views of the beach at New Plymouth, right in front of the Wind Wand.

• Visited January 2014
Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Hello and thank you for your awesome feedback! We are very grateful you chose to dine with us.We are very happy you enjoyed the level of service and food to match the stunning location we are so lucky to have. Thanks again and best wishes for 2014.