“fantastic”

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“fantastic”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. Superb location, so close to everything. Although on a main road the traffic noise was minimal. Room was compact yet comfortable, very clean, and tidy. Hosts were the right ammount of friendly. Spa bath was enjoyed.The glad wrap was appreciated for our sandwiches. The muffins on arrival were spot on. The complimentary daily paper was also an extra touch that made our stay even more enjoyable. Good value for money paid. Would definately stay again and will happily recommend to others.

Room Tip: If you think the traffic noise ( motel is on a main road) will bother you, get some earplugs. I'...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks for taking time to write a review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay. We do like to put the small touches in a room like the glad wrap and we are pleased you like the muffins on arrival. Look forward to you staying again next time you are inNew Plymouth.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Geham
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked here for one night on our trip around NZ. Wished it was longer. The room was spotlessly clean, modern and comfortable. Great location as we could walk to shops, restaurants and the waterfront. Very friendly hosts and the lovely warm muffins on arrival added that extra touch. Would definately recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Hi David & Pauline, thanks for taking the time to write a review about Landmark Manor. We are pleased you enjoy your stay here and that you also enjoyed your weekend in New Plymouth. We look forward to hosting both of you on your next visit to New Plymouth
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 20, 2012

did not forward book, but a room was available when I turned up early evening. Received a very warm welcome. Spacious tidy modern room, even had a heat pump! This was my second stay here, would not hesitate to stay again or recommend to others. The warm muffin was a nice touch too. Very good value here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Marina & I thank you for taking the time to write a review, and such a nice one at that. We are glad you found everything for arrival to departure to your liking and look forward to seeing you next time you are in New Plymouth. There will be a nice warm muffin for you to enjoy.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We booked for a weekend in July the 6 and 7th arrived early and was welcomed by the host. The roomed we booked was the spa bath and was very nice. The motel was walking distance to town and close to the supermarkets.Did not here the noise from the road, room was clean and would stay there again and would recommend it to friends.

David and Pauline

Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Hi David & Pauline, Thanks for taking the time to write a review about Landmark Manor Motel. It was pleasure having you stay and look forward to hosting you and/or you friends next time New Plymouth is on your travels. Take care and see you next time.
Wellington
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Booked based on TripAdvisor, for a 'studio with minimal cooking facilities' room special via LastMinute.com.au. Our stay overall was absolutely fine, the room was comfortable and fairly nice, and the owner was really lovely, but I just wish I'd known the room's limitations. Apparently limited cooking facilities actually referred to sharing a sink between the bathroom and kitchen-y area (there was still a jug, microwave, etc etc, so I didn't feel the cooking facilities were that 'limited' as motel rooms go), but that shared sink was out in the main room. There was also no separate mirror or rubbish bin in the bathroom. As an arrangement that felt a bit awkward to me and was not ideal, not for $130 a night. It would also have been great if the TV was in a spot that was easier to watch rather than perched up high on top of a cupboard.

All of that said, the motel was in a great location, I had no issue with noise whatsoever (even during the week), it was cosy, and the free internet was a real bonus. Provided you book the right room type and/or you know what you're getting I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend you stay there, but based on TripAdvisor's scale, I wouldn't raise this up to a 'very good' from an 'average' purely on our room and the bathroom arrangement. To be fair, the design is shown on pictures on their website, which I didn't check out well enough in advance, so my bad.

Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Hi and thanks fr taking the time to write a review. The room you booked was with limited cooking facilities and as such no there is no kitchen sink, (just like in all the major hotels). In saying that we do not except guest to use the bathroom sink for doing dishes etc. There is a sign there saying to leave all dishes so we can put through the dishwasher when servicing/cleaning your room. I glad you thought however that the limited cooking so not to bad as far as motels go, however with cooking facilities at our motel you also get a 2 elemnet hob. As far as the placement of the TV's is concerned we are looking at moving them so thanks for pointing that out. And we are glad that our photo's on our website do match the room. Once again thanks for staying and writing the review.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I booked a long weekend with my partner at Manor Motel in mid-July solely because it was rated no 4 on TripAdvisor for New Plymouth motels and all the comments I read were positive. I selected a one-bedroom apartment at $158 a night, which was $25 a night more expensive than comparable motels in the area, but I assumed from the glowing reports that it would be worth the premium.

I couldn't have been more wrong. The Landmark Manor Motel is just your standard, overpriced, unimaginative New Zealand motel with the added disadvantage of being sited next to a busy three- or four-lane road that funnels traffic into the city.

We were put in an upstairs apartment overlooking the road and could only get to sleep by using industrial-strength earplugs. The noise had barely died down by midnight and started again at 5.15am when heavy trucks started pulling into the Pak'N'Save loading docks directly across the street from our unit. I know because they woke me up and kept me awake until the early Saturday morning traffic started pouring into the city.

When we later asked the locum looking after the motel if we could be shifted, she happily agreed and put us in a cheaper studio unit, further from the traffic.

She also told us we could sort out a part-refund for the difference between the prices of the two units with the owner when he returned from holiday.

But when I rang the owner after we had returned home, he said Expedia had already taken its commission on the full amount so he would not be refunding any of the nearly $500 we had spent on three nights for noisy, average accommodation. (I thought a token amount of $30 might have been appropriate.)

My advice: There is far better accommodation in nearby streets that is far cheaper than Landmark Manor. If Landmark is the only accommodation you can find, ask for a unit at least three units away from Leach Street. Lastly, if you pay upfront for the whole amount, don't expect to get a refund on any part thereof if you shift to a cheaper unit or are otherwise inconvenienced.

Room Tip: Stay away from the units closest to Leach St unless you are deaf or find the sound of cars blatting...
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Hi Graham, thanks for taking the time to write a review, something you threatened to do.
Marina & I are most upset that you did not found the room you had booked to your liking, however are happy that the Motel Minder managed to move you to another room.

In regards to a refund, if you had let me finish what I was saying before you hung up on me, we would have worked something out, and I actually was going to offer more then the $30 you suggested in the review but feel that we were not given the opportunity to as you hung up and could not contact you as you did not leave a contact number on the guest reistration form.

There is a couple of misleding facts in your review,, eg it is a 2 lane one way road, not a 3-4 lane Rd.

The most ironic thing is before reading your review, I read another 2 reviews that was posted the same day saying how good our motel is, and in fact if you read them you will find that one was from a couple that I had to move to the same room you complained about and they didn't find any problems with the noise.

We guess this shows no matter how hard one tries, you try you can not please very one all of the time.
Northland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Did not book in advance but obtained a spa bath room for the 2 nights we intended to stay. Decided to extend by 2 more nights but spa rooms already booked. Rex gave us a 1 bedroom suite at no extra cost. The rooms were immaculate and despite being by a main road, surprisingly quiet. Sits just on the edge of downtown, with all amenities close by and easy access to those places visited by car. Wonderful stay with thoughtful and helpful hosts. The warm muffin on arrival was a bonus. Will stay again when we come back to Taranaki.

Make this a base for an "all of Taranaki" roadtrip.

Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a review, and a great one at that. Marina and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your time in New Plymouth, that you extended it by 2 days. Sorry we had to move you from the Spa Bath unit to the 1 bedroom unit, but are pleased that you also enjoyed that room. Take Care and look forward to hosting you again when you return to New Plymouth