Landmark Manor Motel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$99
Asure Saddle and Sulky Motor Lodge(New Plymouth)(Great Value!)
$64
$61
$154
$132
Nice Hotel & Table(New Plymouth)
$122
$119
16 Northgate Motor Lodge(New Plymouth)(Great Value!)
$83
$70
$98
$93
$89
Agoda.com
Pukekura Motor Lodge(New Plymouth)
$101
$92
Travelocity
$101
$90
Hotwire.com
  • Free Internet
One Burgess Hill(New Plymouth)
$96
$93
Travelocity
All reviewson arrivalacross the roadceiling fanwould stay againspa bathgreat place to staycentral locationcooking facilitieswithin walking distancesmall kitcheneasy accessthoroughly enjoyed our stayfriendly ownersbed was comfortablestudio roomtwo nightsgreat room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Booked based on TripAdvisor, for a 'studio with minimal cooking facilities' room special via LastMinute.com.au. Our stay overall was absolutely fine, the room was comfortable and fairly nice, and the owner was really lovely, but I just wish I'd known the room's limitations. Apparently limited cooking facilities actually referred to sharing a sink between the bathroom and kitchen-y area (there was still a jug, microwave, etc etc, so I didn't feel the cooking facilities were that 'limited' as motel rooms go), but that shared sink was out in the main room. There was also no separate mirror or rubbish bin in the bathroom. As an arrangement that felt a bit awkward to me and was not ideal, not for $130 a night. It would also have been great if the TV was in a spot that was easier to watch rather than perched up high on top of a cupboard.

All of that said, the motel was in a great location, I had no issue with noise whatsoever (even during the week), it was cosy, and the free internet was a real bonus. Provided you book the right room type and/or you know what you're getting I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend you stay there, but based on TripAdvisor's scale, I wouldn't raise this up to a 'very good' from an 'average' purely on our room and the bathroom arrangement. To be fair, the design is shown on pictures on their website, which I didn't check out well enough in advance, so my bad.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Hi and thanks fr taking the time to write a review. The room you booked was with limited cooking facilities and as such no there is no kitchen sink, (just like in all the major hotels). In saying that we do not except guest to use the bathroom sink for doing dishes etc. There is a sign there saying to leave all dishes so we can put through the dishwasher when servicing/cleaning your room. I glad you thought however that the limited cooking so not to bad as far as motels go, however with cooking facilities at our motel you also get a 2 elemnet hob. As far as the placement of the TV's is concerned we are looking at moving them so thanks for pointing that out. And we are glad that our photo's on our website do match the room. Once again thanks for staying and writing the review.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I booked a long weekend with my partner at Manor Motel in mid-July solely because it was rated no 4 on TripAdvisor for New Plymouth motels and all the comments I read were positive. I selected a one-bedroom apartment at $158 a night, which was $25 a night more expensive than comparable motels in the area, but I assumed from the glowing reports that it would be worth the premium.

I couldn't have been more wrong. The Landmark Manor Motel is just your standard, overpriced, unimaginative New Zealand motel with the added disadvantage of being sited next to a busy three- or four-lane road that funnels traffic into the city.

We were put in an upstairs apartment overlooking the road and could only get to sleep by using industrial-strength earplugs. The noise had barely died down by midnight and started again at 5.15am when heavy trucks started pulling into the Pak'N'Save loading docks directly across the street from our unit. I know because they woke me up and kept me awake until the early Saturday morning traffic started pouring into the city.

When we later asked the locum looking after the motel if we could be shifted, she happily agreed and put us in a cheaper studio unit, further from the traffic.

She also told us we could sort out a part-refund for the difference between the prices of the two units with the owner when he returned from holiday.

But when I rang the owner after we had returned home, he said Expedia had already taken its commission on the full amount so he would not be refunding any of the nearly $500 we had spent on three nights for noisy, average accommodation. (I thought a token amount of $30 might have been appropriate.)

My advice: There is far better accommodation in nearby streets that is far cheaper than Landmark Manor. If Landmark is the only accommodation you can find, ask for a unit at least three units away from Leach Street. Lastly, if you pay upfront for the whole amount, don't expect to get a refund on any part thereof if you shift to a cheaper unit or are otherwise inconvenienced.

Room Tip: Stay away from the units closest to Leach St unless you are deaf or find the sound of cars blatting down the street outside your window comforting.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Hi Graham, thanks for taking the time to write a review, something you threatened to do.
Marina & I are most upset that you did not found the room you had booked to your liking, however are happy that the Motel Minder managed to move you to another room.

In regards to a refund, if you had let me finish what I was saying before you hung up on me, we would have worked something out, and I actually was going to offer more then the $30 you suggested in the review but feel that we were not given the opportunity to as you hung up and could not contact you as you did not leave a contact number on the guest reistration form.

There is a couple of misleding facts in your review,, eg it is a 2 lane one way road, not a 3-4 lane Rd.

The most ironic thing is before reading your review, I read another 2 reviews that was posted the same day saying how good our motel is, and in fact if you read them you will find that one was from a couple that I had to move to the same room you complained about and they didn't find any problems with the noise.

We guess this shows no matter how hard one tries, you try you can not please very one all of the time.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Did not book in advance but obtained a spa bath room for the 2 nights we intended to stay. Decided to extend by 2 more nights but spa rooms already booked. Rex gave us a 1 bedroom suite at no extra cost. The rooms were immaculate and despite being by a main road, surprisingly quiet. Sits just on the edge of downtown, with all amenities close by and easy access to those places visited by car. Wonderful stay with thoughtful and helpful hosts. The warm muffin on arrival was a bonus. Will stay again when we come back to Taranaki.

Make this a base for an "all of Taranaki" roadtrip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a review, and a great one at that. Marina and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your time in New Plymouth, that you extended it by 2 days. Sorry we had to move you from the Spa Bath unit to the 1 bedroom unit, but are pleased that you also enjoyed that room. Take Care and look forward to hosting you again when you return to New Plymouth

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay - room was very nice, well priced and service was exceptional. Would definately stay again. Our stay was not planned in advance and this was not the first motel we visted but was the most reasonably priced and value for money.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Hi Mariana, thanks for taking the time to write a great review. Marina & I are glad that after driving around and looking at other motels that you choose to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to New Plymouth. Take Care.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Had not booked anywhere on the night, just called in and they had a room late at night and were very welcoming, really nice layout to the room, clean, tidy, reasonable price and really friendly service as well. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Hi Ken,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review about Landmrk Manor Motel and we are pleased you found us to welcoming and that you alos found the room to your liking.
We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in New Plymouth