“Great room with a thermal pool”
Review of Victoria Lodge

Victoria Lodge
Ranked #12 of 52 Rotorua B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 1, 2011

After a few weeks which we had spent in hostels we want something more luxorius..this is the place to be. A very large bed, microwave, large tv, table with chairs, a fridge, nice bathroom and our own private thermal pool outside.The room was very clean and in walking distance of the city centre.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Victoria Lodge

Reviewed January 28, 2011

Prue gave so much info on arrival about local events involving locals, I was well impressed, you must visit the local market on Thursday evening. All nice and clean, again only going to stay one night but stayed two! Must have a go in the thermal spa brilliant

Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2010

This is my second review of this motel, the first was less than forgiving and this one more so.

We decided to give this place another try as it mentioned the rooms had been refurbished; we booked for new years eve and day, admittedly a busy period. My mum was urgently scheduled for a hip replacement post our reservation and is currently recovering, I called as soon as she told me she may not quite be up to the trip in time for our booking (7 days ahead) and was advised that there was a cancellation fee of 20%. I asked if this was due to it being christmas (usually it's 48 hrs for most places) and was advised no it's all year round and then the lady ( heavy australian accent) started to very rudely spiel about how they'd held the room for us and that the fees are clearly stated in their t&cs, easily available on their site ( which at this time is not true, i had to find them in the end by trying to make another booking, even then you only get a link which let's be honest less than 10% of people would ever click and I admit I didn't) and would now have trouble selling the room. I did not get upset though until I advised the circumstances of the cancellation and heard their response... Which was "humph, yeah' sure". Disgusting.

Needless to say the owners of the other motel I also had to cancel were very polite and wished my mum well, polar opposites of these rude, rude people ( no charge either as their notification period was the usual 48 hrs). If you're going to charge exorbitant cancellation fees with notice requirements far different from the norm, you should at the very least CLEARLY advertise it on the booking page, not hide it in a link and pretend that's enough. And you should not make matters worse by scoffing at a real life, upsetting and stressful situation (if the motel reads this, I'm happy to provide all sorts of evidence that it was not a made up story). That was this motel's last shot with me and they failed miserably with their rudeness.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank DeViIIe
VictoriaLodge, Owner at Victoria Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2011

Dear Angela Turrall

Thank you for bringing to our attention your concerns over our cancellation policy. As you are aware, most businesses that take online reservations, memberships and orders, have a cancellation policy, which is always ticked off as being understood and accepted by the person who orders the services or goods, before the order is accepted online.

In your particular case, we explained that we would adhere to our written policy which you signed off when you reserved the room. We also have an unwritten policy, so that if we are able to resell the room, then we do not charge the guest for the cancellation. We are not able to do this all the time, but in your case, we did manage to resell the room. When you look at your credit card statement, you will notice that no charge has been made for cancelling your booking.

We have left several messages over the past week on your phone to advise you of this, but you have not been available and have not returned the call.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

Had an enjoyable two night stay here on a recommendation from friends. Lovely welcome on arrival by the owner, with plenty of tips and assistance on what to do in the area, where to eat and how to get about. Provided a cot for the baby also.
Accomodation was comfortable, however the room was pretty small (just managed to squeeze in the baby's cot !!) and whilst generally clean enough, not as spotless as some of the other reviews make out - maybe ours was not the norm. Otherwise enjoyed our stay - thanks for putting us up.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2010

As a result of working in the Hotel business, I'm pretty tough on my rating. We tried to stay a the hotel next door, but they were full, they recommend we go to Victoria Lodge. The owners are very nice and greeted us warmly. They recommended attractions, gave directions and made our dinner reservations. They know how to give customer service. The rooms were clean, full of furniture...but we managed fine. I think most rooms if not all have a thermal outside bath. Very relaxing. We enjoyed our short stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My wife and I decided to escape for a night or two. Victoria Lodge was a great choice. Prue and Alan welcomed us like old friends and offered us recommendations if we were there to explore Rotorua. We stayed in one of their newly decorated studio rooms. Great bed , flatscreen TV and a quiet location. Not to mention the private thermally heated pool. A real haven, so close to shopping and the township that we had the choice to walk or drive the short distance. So a great little escape. We will be back and have been telling our friends.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed for two nights and although the studio room was well appointed it was way too small, by far the smallest room we encountered on our three weeks in NZ. Car parking was a very tight squeeze to get in or out. While I realise that rooms have to be redecorated at times our room had been recently painted and the strong smell caused us both to have headaches when waking each morning. The location was good with only a short walk to shops and eateries and the owners were friendly and helpful. An outdoor spa was reached by climbing out of the bathroom window but for older folks like ourselves this was not an option we took advantage of. Some form of steps would have helped. The sulpher smell in Rotorua wasn't a problem and a visit to the Thermal Wonderland was well worth it as was a ride up the mountain on the Gondola.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple