“Amazing food”

Indian Star Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 243 Restaurants in Rotorua
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Rotorua's most awarded restaurant with awesome atmosphere and flawless service.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Ordered the mixed tandoori entree to begin with - as my partner is vegetarian, I ate the meat components (chicken tikka and sheekh kebab?) and he enjoyed the other half of the dish (samosas and pakoras). I highly recommend this as an entree!

The mains were nothing short of amazing. I didn't venture too far out of my comfort zone and ordered the safe option of mango chicken. When accompanied with garlic naan and plain basmati rice, the serving was more than enough to completely fill me up (maybe even too much..). The flavours were delicate and sweet, but not too overpowering. I opted for medium spicyness which ended up being the perfect balance for me (although I guess this is subjective).

My only complaint is that I requested a second bottle of water about three times and never received it. Simple mistake, however it gave us a good enough reason to walk down the road and have a milkshake afterwards :)

Tip: Make sure you book a table. This place gets very busy but is well worth it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Consistantly reliable excellent quality food .The balance of spices is perfect; flavours exceptional and general overall quality is very good. We keep going back for more !!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Our waiter, Ray, was a top bloke and ensured that we had a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. The food was excellent - especially liked the choice of chicken on the bone as this is not often available in NZ. Thoroughly recommend the Karahi Chicken, hot, with bones!

If I lived in Rotorua, this place would be a regular haunt.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Went for a walk around the town and stumbled upon this place which proclaimed to be the best restaurant around! Us three lads with empty belly's decided why not... Three words... BEST DECISION EVER! For the 5 days we were in Rotorua, we dined here for 3 nights in a row! When entering this simple shop, looks on the out side give it a humble feeling. Upon entry, immediately we were greeted and felt welcomed. Decor could do with a slight change around but that's just me being picky... Anyway, the staff were super friendly and never dropped their smile. I had the butter chicken and naan bread which, I kid you not, is the best curry I have ever had! Coming from Auckland where our streets are bountiful with similar restaurants, the flavour, service and presentation of this store was the best experience I've ever had. The staff knew I had enjoyed my meal so much (must have been the protruding stomache darn it!) that the owner himself came to greet us and even offered more without extra charge. How's that for service! Staying for about an hour, we left full of curry made of love and waddled on home!

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

The food and service here are top notch. The masala is spicy and flavorful, the nan is the best I've had in a long time. The waiter noticed that we only ate half of our salad ( because we were full) so hey only charged us for one... Now who does that??? What a great place! If you are in Rotorua, go there!

1  Thank Tunachaser