“Fabulous”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
West Kelowna, Canada
“Fabulous”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We had never tried Turkish food before but absolutely loved our meal here. We tried Guvec?? which was excellent. The service was great and very friendly too. I wish we'd been staying in Rotorua longer as we'd have gone back there again the next day!

• Visited January 2012

Hamilton, New Zealand
“Great name - poor meal”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I will always remember my visit to Ephesus in Turkey. What an amazing site. The majesty of the Library of Celsus was particularly impressive. A small cafe in Rotorua that has taken on the name (and image) of this historic site is definately less impressive.

Having completed the walk section of the Xterra half marathon around the scenic Blue and Green Lakes (worthy of a TripAdvisor rave - but no link), I stopped off in downtown Rotorua for lunch before driving home. The lake-end block of the main street has been designated an eating zone with restaurants aplenty and outdoor tables and umbrellas. A very attractive and appealing location for the hungry.

I evaluated the competing menues of the different cafes. The image of the Library of Celsus on the menu of the Cafe Ephesus lured me to dine in this particular cafe and I opted for their blackboard menu: 'Fish Burger'.

The waiter was effective and pleasant. A carafe of cool tap water was immediately supplied together with my order of orange juice (I was feeling virtuous after the half marathon and still had the drive home - so no wine).

However, the meal was a real disappointment. I had chosen the fish burger because it sounded reasonably healthy - oven roasted pita bread/salad/fish (and chips that I could ignore). The pita bread was stodgy and doughy - the fish was crumbed, overcooked and small - and overall the meal was not good.

There must surely be better eateries in this downtown restaurant block.

• Visited April 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
“Awesome pizza with Turkish influence!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We went to this great place on Good Friday! we had 2 pizzas and both were really good. Mine was a vegetarian with lots of spinach and Turkish yogurt, which I loved. My wife ordered another one which was almost like Turkish Iskander kebab in a pizza form! very delicious.
This may not be a flashy place, but the food is great and all of the staff were super-nice. totally recommend it.

Visited April 2012
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
“AMAZING!!! Went back the very next day”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed for five days in Rotorua and even though we visited some of the most opulent restaurants in Rotorua, cafe Ephesus was our favourite.

I had their oven baked Greek Pizza two days in a row. Absolutely divine! We left craving more.

Partner tried a few other dishes also. The staff were very friendly and the menu was great. The food was authentic and I would highly recommend it!

Food was very affordable. AAA+++

• Visited December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Huge Plates of Tasty Food”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stumbled upon this Turkish/Greek restaurant one evening and was pleasantly surprised by its very tasty food. We had a pizza and pasta, the latter was a huge helping of delicious seafood mix. We looked around and saw people with entrees the size of main courses. Better still, the prices were really very reasonable. The service was friendly and fast. Although they serve alcohol, the meat is all halal. I recommend people give this place a try...you won't be disappointed and above all, you won't be hungry for a long time afterwards.

• Visited January 2012