“OMG get the lamb (or beef)”
Review of Bistro 1284 - CLOSED

Bistro 1284
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Steakhouse, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We arrived without a booking but were seated on a busy night. The waitress was professional in every respect. The dishes ranged between 8 & 10/10. Some dishes were equal best with anything we have ever had in thirty years. The lamb was perfect.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I went here last night and had a very enjoyable evening. Very comfortable surroundings with interesting art work, not pretentious. Good selection of dishes with some interesting combinations eg Venison and chocolate eclair (worth a try but not sure it was my favorite). My wife had the pate for entree and lamb rack for main. The pate was superb, the lamb, surprisingly was a little tough but appeared to have been cooked well. I had Duck for main and was very impressed by both the tenderness and quantity of duck provided. One of the best duck meals I have had. Their wine selection is limited but adequate. We had an excellent Shiraz from Rockbair in the Barossa. Service was always attentive and appropriate. Would go back.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

...either.....Rotorua appears to have some great restaurants..but this place is really special. There is no real reason to believe me..but I thought I would take a chance on the Venison Chocolate Eclair for Entree...it was so tasty I am coming back for more. I had Duck for main course which was perfect, my wife had the chicken...the meal was superb, the service was excellent and the wine selection was interesting. I loved this place.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Loved the meal, this place is more for the types that enjoy fine dining and don't mind spending a bit. The waitress advised us to choose a different table when we arrived, as there was a large group arriving in a section of the restaurant, and later on, we definitely appreciated the advice! For our meal, we had the pate and chocolate venison eclair, which were fantastic. Beef fillet and duck for main, both cooked perfectly. All in all, a great restaurant with friendly staff, and a nice way to spend our last night in Rotorua.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Small serves of very nicely repaired food good wine selection as well . A bit pricey but what would you expect it's a small town and small customer base must make it hard to keep standards up