“We loved this place”

Waikite Valley Thermal Pools
Ranked #8 of 113 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Waikite Valley Thermal Pools provides the opportunity to relax and experience the pure natural geothermal waters from the Te Manaroa Spring. Facilities include The Pukeko in the Ponga Tree Cafe, a splash pool with adjoining toddlers play area, passive bathing pools, private spas, nature trail and separate changing, toilet and shower area for families. Waikite Valley Thermal Pools also offers powered and non powered campground sites.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We loved this place. We had hoped to visit the private pool, but it wasn't available the morning we visited. Although admission for 40 minutes in a private pool isn't that much more than general admission, I'm not sure we would have really gotten our money's worth anyway. The pools are deliciously hot and we found 20 or 30 minutes to be plenty, especially because there are no cool dipping pools.

I especially appreciated that many of the thermal pools have a sun shade built over them. New Zealand's sun is extremely intense, so having the shade eliminated the need to slather sunscreen all over ourselves.

Plan to bring your own towel. If you forget, you can rent one in the office. All in all, we highly recommend this thermal pool

2  Thank martigold

Reviewed November 24, 2013

On the Plus side: nice range or temperature ranking from mild to hot water. The hottest pool (39-42C) looks like it has been recently renovated. Overall, the open air setting is really nice. The place was not too busy when we visited. It is a good value for money. The road that leads to Waikite is gorgeous.

On the Minus side: Having been in other thermal establishments, it wasn't clear to me if Waikite's water has any health benefit. The staff was not able to give me any information about that. Going back to their website, I also found very little: "soft calcite-laden mineral water". What does that do for me? I could tell the water is not particularly high on sulfur, as I could not smell any. The water is flowing into the pools in small cascades which means there are not jets to massage your back (another thing I really enjoy). The men's locker room is not what I would call nice. It really could be upgraded.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stunning location , relaxing , not too busy on a Sunday morning , highly recommended for a soak ! Value for money , recommended

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Found this attraction entirely by accident as we drove around the Rotorua area. We didn't have our swimwear with us (though you can borrow them on site) and didn't really want a dip but the NZ$3 charge for a walk around their eco-trail was well worth the money. Detailed signs told you all about the springs and the river which they feed, as well as the construction work to feed the thermal pools there.

1  Thank QJH
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit to these wonderful hot pools. There are six pools available on the standard entry and they are all hot. There is one pool that is much hotter than the others, and it was just wonderful. There is also a short eco walk that you can do. Had a great soak in all the pools. The facilities are clean and tidy, and there is a good shower available in the changing rooms. There is food and drink available for purchase. The staff were friendly and helpful. Parking was at a premium on the day I went. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

1  Thank Jewlzcee