“Fantastic hospitality and wonderful rooms!”
Review of Regent of Rotorua

Regent of Rotorua
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fantastic hospitality and wonderful rooms!”
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Rotoura is a smelly town but inside the rooms we didn't smell anything.
Perfect place if you want to relax or explore the many things to do in the area. We went rafting and took a spa afternoon at the Polynesian SPA. Darren helped us a lot with things to see and do. Can't be more service minded than him!
The restaurant had a nice pool and also a hot "smelly"pool if you prefer. We ate dinner + breakfast at the Regent at it was delicious. Internet access for free which we really appreciated, ipod/ipone doc and also free parking.
We stayed there for 2 nights and we can really recommend it!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elapela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2010

As I write this review my partner and I have been travelling for approximately 4 months, through 8 countries, and have been in New Zealand for a little over 3 weeks – which isn’t just showing off(!), but rather offered as context for the following statement…which is that the Regent of Rotorua rates as highly as any hotel we have stayed in on our trip thus far. The rooms are beautifully designed, appointed and maintained, the food was excellent and the service we received was perfect. On site you have access to a heated outdoor swimming pool and a geothermal spa pool…after a day out in the rain, it was a happy moment indeed to be led to the warming waters by our host, Darryn – who deserves special mention for being one of the most professional, intuitive and warm hoteliers we have come across on our travels. It is rare indeed that one finds the perfect combination of welcome and privacy that we found at the Regent and I am certain that this is down to an intuitive understanding of what we enjoy and look for in a hotel and that other guests would receive ‘their’ preferred experience. I hope that the Regent continues to have all the success it deserves and strongly urge people to stay here whilst in Rotorua (indeed, come to Rotorua so that you can stay here!).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PrinceJim72
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 13, 2010

The Regent was recommended to a hotel owner outside of Rotorua and what a gem!!! Absolutely lovely hotel, recently completely renovated in all black and white theme, romantic details with stenciling, chandeliers, art work and plush lounge, etc - NYC style. GREAT value with pool, bar, and wireless internet throughout. Staff was fantastic and owners, Darren and Brett were lovely! Definitely first choice in Rotorua town center.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My sister and I stayed at the Regent for two nights in late november and absolutely loved it. The moment we checked in, Darryn the manager asked us what we planned to do here and we told him that we wanted to visit the Polynesian Spa. He was able to book us in for treatments and gave us directions on how to get there. We would have missed out if Darryn did not assist us as the spa gets extremely busy. We ate our breakfast at their restaurant and really enjoyed it but if you choose to eat out most restaurants are just a few minutes walk down the road. We found the location of the hotel to be convenient and quiet. Great for travellers who want a good night's sleep. I would definitely reccommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed November 2010
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 5, 2010

This new botique hotel really met and exceeded my high expectations. I am so glad we found it. The decor was lovely and modern-- sparkling. Our room was comfortable and the service outstanding. A perfect stay. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in town.
Oh -- and did i mention that they were the only hotel during our NZ vacation that offered some free wi-fi?

The fact that dinner was delish and the bartender made us a great Negroni and martini was just gravy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bath, UK
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Absolutely fanatsic hotel - complete 5 star accomodation with a five star service. Darryn was extremely helpful in booking any activities and for giving very honest advice on what is good to see and do in Rotorua.
The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were a good size with everything you could possible want! We also had the breakfast - which was awesome and we were just disappointed that we weren`t staying another night to stay for dinner!
We had a fantastic time and couldn`t fault the hotel in any way! Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2010

This review is not of the Regent, but of the Regent Flashpackers next door (a budget option run by the same hotel). I tried to list the hostel separately here, but Tripadvisor did not let me. So here it goes.

Hostel was really nothing special. It was our favourite accommodation of our trip though, but anyone who frequents hostels knows to not to expect luxury. However, me and my sister shared a large room with 2 bunk beds, the other of the size of a double (a family room?). Room was all you could ask for, clean and the beds were very comfortable. Lovely linen also. Only thing is that it was rather hot for the lack of a/c. Extra points for the hostel's thermal pools!

Now, why I insisted on writing this review was the service we received. Every employee was absolutely delightful, but not in an annoying "I'm only smiling because they pay me" way. We were touched by everyone's sincere will to help us. Especially I need to mention Darryn (I hope I got that corrrect), who went to great lengths to make our stay easy and comfortable. I do not often name people in my reviews, but this was something out of ordinary. So, thank you. Highly recommended. For those with the extra cash, the Regent hotel looked absolutely fabulous and doubtlessly has similar service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends