“The W Hotel of the North Island”
Review of Regent of Rotorua

Regent of Rotorua
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Los Angeles, CA
“The W Hotel of the North Island”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My Fellow Wanderers,
want a cosmopolitan stay in ahhh.... well... a pungent town? The Regent certainly adds panache to a town that is thermal and quaint. Yes, there is a smell. Yes it does smell like eggs (sometimes rotten and sometimes just a bit poached). HOWEVER, get over it. The earth is boiling in Rororua. Literally, the mud bubbles everyone should be amazed at such an exhibit of the earth's force. There is SO much to do it Rotorua it's not to be missed (from crazy adventures, to Maori villages to thermal baths and parks- kids and adults can all find meeting ground in Rotorua). So now that you are going the only place to stay is at the Regent. Darryn, one of the owners, is an absolutely perfect host and will ensure your stay is nothing short of excellent. The hotel is stunning. The rooms are huge. The food is excellent. Stop reading and just book it. Trust me.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the street on a Saturday night. The hotel was quiet but there were knuckl...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HilaryGar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I work in a high end boutique hotel, and as a result am very picky about accomodation when traveling. This hotel met all of my expectations and then some! In fact my Husband and I were traveling around the rest of New Zealand, and we kept saying that we wanted to return to the Regent because none of the other hotels (although nice) compared to this one!

The food was amazing, the staff were absolutely fantastic, the room was very comfortable, and did I mention the staff? They were so friendly and welcoming!!!

If you are staying in Roturua don't stay anywhere else! This is the place to be!

Thanks for an amazing time!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mandy P
Hillsborough, California
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Really! Had read the reviews, checked out their website. Looked somewhat like a duded up last mid century no tell motel. So was somewhat apprehensive on check-in, but they were indeed more than advertised, it was great. Large rooms, each with its own remote controlled heat pump and flat screen. Great design sense in black and white with a touch of green, including the cat. Super friendly, super helpful. Literally blown away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 1992redzilla
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed July 1, 2014

What a beautiful find in Rotorua. We went as a big family group and had a great time.The decor is sumptuous, much nicer than many 5 star international hotels. Our 2 bedroom was huge I never wanted to leave. The staff were all really friendly and helpful in the relaxed kiwi way. The food both dinner and breakfast absolutely delicious and beautifully presented. Could not fault it and will have to find an excuse to go back to Rotorua to stay there again!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked great!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank luciloo55
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I agree with the other reviewer who said not to judge a book by its cover. When you enter, this is really a cute little boutique hotel. It's not that it looks bad from the outside - it's fine. You will just like the inside even more. The rooms are comfortable but it is the service that really sets it apart from other places where we stayed. The guys running the place were wonderful and politely put up with me as I was grumpy and sick for the first portion of our vacation to New Zealand (I had caught a flu before leaving the states... ick!).

The one mishap we had was with the shower, which is a shame since it seems the other reviewers enjoyed their experience. The shower head must have been bumped loose while cleaning or something because, instead of showering down, it shot water straight up onto the ceiling and then down all over the place. I can honestly see how this could happen anywhere and it would have been easily remedied had I been able to reach the shower head (there are really high ceilings in the rooms and bathrooms and I would have to be 7 feet tall to reach it). Since I had been sick and was looking forward to a good shower, I was probably really grumpy when I called down to the front desk to let them know about the problem. They apologized and comped us some beers we had the night before. Though they did offer to come up and fix it, I had already finished my shower and it was too late. Still, I cannot fault their wonderful service and I remain impressed with this hotel because of it.

Though I would definitely reccommend this hotel to others wanting to stay in Rotorua, I would also suggest to look outside of Rotorua. This area is very commercial and kind of reminded us of a mini-scale Niagara Falls. There were too many tourists for my taste and I would rather visit but stay overnight elsewhere. Having said that, Wai-o-Tapu park is beautiful and worth stopping by for a couple hours (a great suggestion from the staff at Regent). We lucked out and visited on a day that was rainy and were spared the crowds.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AudreySD
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I normally don't review places if I don't have any constructive comments, but this hotel needs to be commended on its fantastic service, rooms and location. What a great stay. Theyve made a patron for life. The food was incredible, the service was friendly, Internet was fast and free, the location was great - just a short walk to the night markets

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Whitney T
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights in the hotel. Beautiful decoration and very modern. Lovely pool! Had breakfast in the hotel. Food was great! Wished we had another night so we could have tried the restaurant for dinner. Would definitely stay again. Will recommend to friends and family.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple