“Good for a night”
Review of YHA Rotorua

malaysia
“Good for a night”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We took the double + bunk en suite. The room are clean and comfortable. Our room heater is faulty. Since we come back quite late & checking out the next day so we didn't ask for a change. We spend the whole night shivering. The room was on the second floor and no lifts. The building also faces the reception/kitchen which was in a separate building. When there are some people noisy at the kitchen we could hear. Wifi internet access is available in the common area. You help yourself and clean up after. Price is good & very much recommended. Reception was very helpful and I even got YHA membership at a discount.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
YHANZ, Manager at YHA Rotorua, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for your review geofkaw, we pride ourselves on our customer service and hostel cleanliness. I am glad you found these to meet your expectations!

Our apologies for the faulty heater, when you next stay with YHA please don't hesitate to ask for help, even when it is late. We are more than happy to help and we wouldn't wish suffering on anyone.

Again thank you for sharing your experience of our hostel, we appreciate your recommendation.

YHA Rotorua

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We took the double + bunk en suite. The sheets and towels are clean, the room comfortably heated. The room was on the second floor but there are no lifts. The room also faces the reception/kitchen which was in a separate building. Downside was when some people were noisy at the kitchen door, we could hear. Wifi was free only for YHA members but internet access is available in the common area. We had a NZ$4.50 breakfast which came in a ziploc bag-2 pieces of bread, jam, butter, coffee sachet. You help yourself and clean up after.

YHA is a bit of a walk from the i-Site where the Intercity bus stops. Still, much recommended.

Reception was very helpful and I even got YHA membership at a discount.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Manila
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The YHA Rotorua was right beside Kuirau Park where we saw different geothermal sites for free. We did not need to drive our rental car since many shops, restaurants, and cafes were all within walking distance. Parking was not a problem since we could either park in front, at the back of the property, or at the other side of the road where there was a huge lot for hostel guests.

We booked an ensuite family room with a double bed and two bunk beds. The room itself was clean, but quite spartan. There were no cabinets or any storage to stash our clothes. There were only one or two power outlets for recharging devices which was definitely inadequate for most of today's travelers. But since we were only in the room to sleep and to shower, we did not make a big fuss out of these. The only thing that annoyed us was the smell of the bathroom. We were not sure if this odor came from nearby Kuirau Park and seeped into the plumbing.

What really impressed us with this property was the huge and modern communal kitchen and the bathrooms. There was no need for us to wait for others to finish their cooking or their meals. Lots of tables were available inside and outside .We also saw a TV room and lounge, but very few were using them when we were there. For those with laundry needs, coin operated washers and dryers were available at the ground floor.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Osnabruck, Germany
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Can't compare it with other hostels in rotorua but I was really happy about my stay. It was clean and central and quite. As it's a huge hostel it can be really impersonal but you can meet a lot of people if you want so. Not many sockets to charge your devices on the rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Como, Italy
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of friends for a couple of nights.

We stayed in a family room, which was spacious and clean.

The staff at reception was nice and helpful, the facilities were clean and the kitchen was big and quite new.

The room was a bit cold as it was June, but the blankets we had were warm enough for the night.

The location is pretty central and we could park right in front of the hostel.

Great value!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We only stay for 1 night since we have to catch the flight in Auckland next day.
However, we'd like to spend more time here. The facility is quiet new and clean everywhere. The room is huge, though it doesn't have heater inside, but still warm enough. The staff is friendly and full of passion! It'll still be my choice if I come to Rotorua next time!

• Stayed May 2014
YHANZ, Manager at YHA Rotorua, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hello Tarcy!

Thanks for your comments! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay, our friendly staff and the hostel! The reason you didn’t see a heater in your room is because the ground floor of the hostel has underfloor heating. That means your room is warm but you don’t actually see a ‘heater’. I hope you get the chance to visit again. All the best.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights originally and then 2 nights on my way back up NZ.

On my first stay I was put in one of the separate blocks closest to the main building, I was in a 6 bed dorm and quite frankly it was terrible.

All the beds were pretty much touching and there was next to no floor space whatsoever.. it was an obstacle course just getting over people's luggage.. there was one tiny window in the top right hand corner of the room and only one socket between 6 people.. the beds were pretty much made out of tin foil resulting in every movement making a horrible screeching noise.. when I first checked in I observed the "cleaners" changing the dirty beds and they only changed the bottom sheet leaving the pillow case and the top sheet on from the last guest.. the common room in these self contained blocks are quite decent with a nice little balcony and comfy sofas (but the tele didn't work), the showers are also decent impart from the annoyingly short timers on the lights. The one saving grace for this room was their was a lovely little russian girl who I subsequently got lucky with haha!

On my third night I was upgraded to a 3 a bed dorm in the main building, on the morning of the 3rd day I got up around 9.45 and started to cook breakfast.. the next thing I know a team of cleaners turned up and extremely rudely (putting it nicely) told me to leave because check out time was at 10. After explaining I wasn't actually checking out I was just moving rooms (not at my own request) I was told they don't care (again putting it nicely), they were shutting off the block and needed to clean it, I was told to throw my food in the bin. I didn't leave and I didn't throw my food in the bin but the thing that took the p*ss the most is the cleaners didn't return to the kitchen/common area for at least another hour!

The 3 bed dorm in the main building was much nicer (still only one socket) but like others have said this building is quite noisy (it didn't help there was 30+ man rugby team staying at the time). The showers and common area/kitchen are also decent but the tv area could do with being made bigger and more comfortable.

On my second stay I was in one of the self contained blocks again, this time the one furthest away from the main building. The facilities are exactly the same but this time the room was much nicer, I think there was 6 sockets and there was actually room to manoeuvre. The tv worked in here but the remote didn't.

it's a shame this place has so many downfalls considering the amount of money that must of been spent on it.. it could've been the perfect hostel!

the cleaners need retraining with people skills and need someone making sure they do their job properly.. (unless they're told to only change the bottom sheets on beds?)

There was a lovely helpful English girl on reception who I'll give a thumbs up to!

• Stayed July 2013
YHANZ, Manager at YHA Rotorua, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry you didn’t thoroughly enjoy your stay with us. Our rooms are cleaned professionally every day, with fresh linen provided on the beds for each new guest.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to the customer service being variable, we do try to be consistent at all times and with all staff, so I will give a reminder to the team to follow up on this.

I’m sorry to hear the TV and remote weren’t working for you. If there’s ever anything you’re not satisfied with in your room, our reception staff are always happy to help.