“Loki”
Review of Robertson House

Robertson House
Ranked #8 of 52 Rotorua B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our best accomodation on our Trip in New Zealand. Very friendly,very clean AND a very Good Breakfast .we Hope we can come again.we got very Good Information about the attractions DVD the surrounding
Dr.J.&R. Lorenz

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Lovely b&b with easy walking distance of Rotorua town. John as a most convivial host with a refreshing easy going approach. Nothing was too much of a problem for him and we were made to feel very much ag home. Although there were no tea making facilities in the bedroom, we were always welcome to use the kitchen to make tea / coffee whenever we wanted. We were offered use of the washing machine, free of charge, which made a pleasant change.

Of course we mustn't forget Luka, a lovely chilled out dog who welcomed visitors with a gentle wag of his tail. A great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Booked a room last minute for a weekend in rotorua, john the owner was beyond helpful and booked shuttles and attractions for us and was full of recommendations for things to do in the limited time we had. The house was clean and the rooms were beautiful. It's in a good location just a 20m walk from the center of town and the isite. I would definitely return! Thank you so much for making our weekend amazing!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited Robertson House in Rotorua several weeks ago on a weekend away from home and I have to say what a fantastic place it was with the most welcoming service.

The house itself is a beautiful old colonial villa which has been done up and is really, really comfortable and homely. It is about a 10-15 fifteen minute walk from the centre of town and is nice and quiet. The house has lovely grounds to spend an afternoon in with a glass of wine.

John, the owner, made sure that we were really well looked after, but it no way invaded our space. He recommended some really good activities and some great cafes and restaurants. He has a beautiful and gentle dog Loki, a samoid, who seems to be the true boss of the place.

Everything here was great- the rooms were clean and tidy, the beds were comfy, the breakfast was fresh & delicious and the vibe was lovely and relaxed. We felt it was great value for money and will definitely be returning next time we visit Rotorua.

Thanks John and Loki!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed in the red room at Robertson House at the end of 2012, and had a wonderful experience. The building is charming, the rooms are period and the atmosphere is spacious and elegant. John is a really friendly guy, and is helpful in telling you some of the nearby places to visit. Tip: Ask him about some of the hot springs out in the wild you can visit.

The room itself was warm and sunny and the bath was big enough for two people to eat fish and chips in. Mmmm, soggy chips.

I wish I could have stayed longer.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

No doubt, John is the friendliest guy and very helpful. But this was the most expensive place we stayed at in New Zealand and we regret spending the money ($175 for 2 ppl) for a mediocre experience. Don't know if all B&Bs are like this in NZ, but breakfast was lacking (toast, cereal, cheese slices); I expected something hardy and cooked like an omelet, like all of the other B&Bs I've ever been to.

The room was freezing cold at night in winter, we couldn't wait to leave to get in the car and control the heat. He said it was on a timer and should be toasty but it was freezing still after he gave us a space heater. We tried to take a hot bath but the water cools down too fast since the room is so cold. He did let us use his laptop which was nice, but internet was spotty. Bed was super squeaky.

He gave us good suggestions for free hikes to do in Rotorua, but his suggestions on paid tourist experiences were extremely underwhelming and a little outdated (oh, they *used* to let you do this...). He did not book our experiences for us, which we kind of expected after reading other reviews, but that's fine.

I feel bad giving a mediocre review, as John was such a great host and guy, but I honestly expected more for the money...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Customer931
johnloki, Owner at Robertson House, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

I think this couple from Texas was expecting Las Vegas, instead of RotoVegas. I love what I do and try my best for all guests.

I do a big continental breakfast with vogels bread, fresh fruit salads, cold meats, cheese, home made cakes etc

We have full gas central heating and the house is warm. I did put extra oil heaters in their room when they said they were cold.

I didn't get any feedback at the time except for being cold which I acted on straightaway.

I always want people to enjoy their stay here. I try my best for everyone and sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

A nice old building in "art Deco style"we entered when arriving at John's place.
He showed us the room with a small terrace, viewing the garden. We got a lot of information from John who was very helpful in every way. He made a reservation for us for the Maui show in the evening. He even called the buscompany when we told we forgot the tripod when we left the bus and it was brought back in 10 minutes. Breakfast was simple but good. And here we could use the laptop as well, whenever we wanted to.
A very pleasant place to be.
Bert and Willemien Ruiter from Holland

Room Tip: Choose a room downstairs; there's a small terrace.