“Loved it!!!”

Crash Palace
Canberra, Australia
“Loved it!!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The photos I have seen on the internet do not do this place justice. It was a great stay at a great price. I stayed here in Jan 2013 with my 15 year old child in a twin room. The backpacker is centrally located, the interior of the building has a very comfortable/homely feel. There are two kitchens which are both clean and well stocked with anything you might need. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Veronica L
crash1977, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you so much for the review i am working now on updating our website and our photos it has been a while since we have done this. I am so glad you guys enjoyed the hostel and had a great time we love the feedback we are getting from people about all the hard work and energy that has been put into bringing you something different and fresh in the hostel. hope to see you both back someday. travel safe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Hi everyone,

I stayed in Crash Palace a few days ago and I highly recommend it to you. Staff is very friendly and helpful, very supportive. Rooms and facilities were clean and nice. Price was perfect. You can hire bicycles for free.

Lucy

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LuciaPalusova
crash1977, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
hey lucy thanks so much for taking the time to tell others about crash palace we appreciate all the feedback from our guests and are always trying to improve each day :) Hope you have a great trip around NZ and find many more great places to review :) safe travels.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This laid back, friendly, and clean hostel has been one of the best hostels I've stayed at in a while. Chris is always helpful, and having the dogs around is a nice little touch!! I met great people and overall had a memorable experience. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone!! Thanks Crash Palace for making Rotorua one of my favorite places in New Zealand!

• Stayed January 2013
crash1977, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Mean !! so glad we were able to make Rotorua a memorable destination for you hope you find many more memorable places on your travels.. live large and take risks, safe travels brother.
Hodonin, Czech Republic
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had a chance to stay and work at Crash for nearly 4 months and I have to say that I could not make a better choice. It felt like second home and Chris of course treats it as such. He spent so much time, effort and energy to make it what it is now and it was worth it. Rooms are nice and clean and all the desing (thanx to Tony) creates such cool atmosphere. Also friendly pets makes u feel welocmed all the time. The fact that u can get free pasta and rice all the time, ensure that u will not starve, u can use all the herbs and cooking oils for free and after that relax in a yakuzi in the garden, or just watch a movie again for free. Friday BBQ in summer or spaghetti bolognese in winter, hot chocolate and popcorn for movie nights and pancakes on Sunday. What do u want more?
Chris is always keen to help with all the troubles and opens his house to everybody, just do not forget that it is his home if u want to feel like at home, u should treat it as such. I will never forget my time at Crash Palace and hope that all travellers and visitors would feel as great as I did. Thanks for everything guys:) and Good luck in the future
Lenka

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lenka B
crash1977, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
oh Lenka we miss you doll like a lot of the old crew :) thanks for sharing your experience with us so glad you found a home here with us for a short time hope everything is going well at home. Maybe we will catch up again someday. safe travels doll :)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My girl friend and I spent Christmas in crash palace and it was a home away from home. As soon as we walked in through the door we where greeted as one of the family.
The hostel has large, light, airy rooms with ample space for personal belongings. The communal areas in this hostel beat that of ones twice its size. A massive t.v. room with loads of dvds, digital channels and usb connectivity. Plus bean bags couches and chairs for everyone and more.
There are two main kitchens within the hostel, again i have been in much bigger hostels with only one kitchen so this was a pleasant surprise. There is also free tea/coffee, herbs/spices and rice/pasta. Saves buy all the basics.
The social area consists of indoor and out door sitting areas, during the day this is relaxed and easy going, at night music is played when everyone gathers for a few social drinks from the cheap as bar. During our stay a pub crawl was organised on a night out which not only made for a great night out but a very cheap one at that. We queue jumped into all the bars and clubs not paying any entry fee and issued buy one get one free vouchers. Happy days. A few nights while at crash palace we decided to stay in, once the hostel bar is closed (10pm) you are allowed to drink your own alcohol.
The hostel is cleaned everyday from head to toe so everything is always tidy making for a much better living area.
Chris the owner and Max where always on hand to help with any questions we had about the local area. They also put on local tours at way under half price of any of the competitors. On ours a local Maori guy took us to all the local hot spots, including a creator walk, mud baths and kerosene creek. Kerosene creek was the highlight of the tour. Hot water pours down a small stream into a stunning waterfall, making for a beautiful place to chill out. The proceeds of these tours go back into the community through funding a charity helping under privileged kids. Nicer than given money to a major tour operator.

All in we had an amazing xmas and awesome stay at crash palace and would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
crash1977, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hey guys hope you are still traveling and loving life!! thanks so much for taking the time to write your review staying with us so long you really got to see what the Palace is all about. The tours are nightly now and the charity is looking forward to helping some great kids this year. thankful we are able to help our community with people like you choosing to stay with us..

safe travels guys :)
colorado
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was only there one night, but I enjoyed the atmosphere while staying at Crash Palace. Friendly staff and laid back vibe. Back patio was nice spot to chill as well. Only downside is you cant bring in your own alcohol while the front desk/bar is open. Wish I could have stayed longer though

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
crash1977, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
thanks for the review mate hope you had a great trip around NZ look forward to your return some day. safe travels.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed December 18, 2012

me and my friends were staying at this very nice backpackers. i slept in a twin room with another friend, and 3 other friends in dorms. one of my friends, after paying 23$ for a dorm bed, found himself SLEEPING ON THE COUCH at night because his bed was taken while we were in the common area! now staff member were to be found or reached!!!
at morning when addressing the clerk - Chriss Wood if my memory serves me well - MY FRIEND WAS ACTUALLY BLAMED FOR THIS INCIDENCE!!
not only spending good 23 good nzd for sleeping on a sofa, but also get blamed for it - sorry sir but i don't appreciate this kind of attitude.

part from this unfortunate incidence - a really nice place. very clean and tidy, space-full, good atmosphere, great facilities. sadly for me and my friends this incidence and especially the way the staff dealt with it - kinda ruined the good impression of the place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon G
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Mr Sharon. Your friend was asked when he checked in to check that there was a bed free in the room as we thought someone had extended their stay without informing us... When he returned he told us yes there was a bed and it was free....... He was not blamed for this miss understanding and he was refunded for his stay in the morning the fact that you proceeded to make such a big deal out of a small mistake by myself meant I also asked you to leave the hostel. had your attitude been a little different we may have been more accommodating. we would stil like to wish you a safe journey through NZ