“OK for only a few nights”
Review of Crash Palace

Crash Palace
Perth
“OK for only a few nights”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Booked a single room for a couple of nights with ensuite. The manager gave me a big room, which had a single bed and a double bed. Double bed was nice and comfy. There is no wardrobe, just a small table and a few old chairs. Shower/toilet was just OK, it is wheelchair accessible but it can be improved. Water didn't really drain well. Room could use a new coat of paint. Other than that, the common room is good, free pasta and rice. The staff took my passport for the duration of the stay and put it together with other passports in someplace which I didn't think was secure. But thankfully, I didn't lose my passport.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your review like you we agree it could use a lick of paint. we have gone a step further and replaced hand basins fittings and brought a number of new items for the up coming summer.
Wish you all the best on your travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I came to NZ with a Wotking Holiday Visa and i found a job in Rotorua. The Manager from the Milenniumm Hotel suggested me to go to Crash Palace cuz was next to my new job. This little story happened in July 2011.
Since then i lived in the hostel like if i was living at home. I spent time in many differents rooms. Shared room with another "long terms mates" and was one of the most riched experiences i've ever had.
When something was wrong we just have to see Chris or Paul and they'll try their best to fix it.
The place is cozy...the wood on the floors and the deck outside is one of my favourite places to share time with friends, travellers, and everyone was always wellcome to join us (even friends from work)
Amazing nights wiith BBQs along Summer time and nice chats in the spa pool also one of my best time.

In difference with others hostels around Rotorua I can say that its strenghs are:Close to the Supermarkets so u don't need a car to buy food (i am missing this soooo much!!!)
Close to town but still quiet streets away from the noisy bars.
The garden where u can help yourself some veggies is other GREAT point.
FREE rice, pasta (you have to cook it, ofcourse), coffee, tee and sugar is a valuable deal as well (most for those backpackers who don't wanna carry extra weight in their lugagges)
It looks like a House so u feel like at home instead of the COMERCIAL and so crowed hostels.
Watch a movie on Thursdays (with Hot chocolate and popcorns), have a Friday Free BBQ or Pasta is a great oportunity to meet other people and why not your new friends around the World.

I Have to say always Thank You All Crash Family!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
people like you my friend is why i love what i do !! we all get to meet well balanced amazing people in life and I have to say mate you are 1 of these people!
thanks for your review of your year with us I am sure we will see you about town in the next few weeks. I will def send you an invite to the re launch when we finish these last renovations on the last 2 rooms!! then i will be in the gardens planting our new summer veggie patch and outside for a spring clean of the grounds.
Thank you for the kind words.
travel safe
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I always stay here when in Rotorua as the staff are awesome and I enjoy relaxing in the pool with a beer. They are currently doing some renovations but there is minimal disruption to the flow. My latest visit saw me getting a refurbished room and it was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Cheers for your review mate and thanks for understanding glad you enjoyed the new rooms look forward to sitting down with a beer next time myself :) hope you enjoy your leave!
Bad Oldesloe, Germany
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I never felt so bad in a hostel like in this. First they didnt have the room we booked on the internet. Then in our room there was NOTHING than the bed. No chair, no small table, even no rubbish. The bed was so hard i felt like i was lying on the ground.The kitchen was so small,it was not possible to cook in it with more than 3 people. I think the main kitchen was closed for making it new, but they should tell this. So the kitchen was not just small, it was also closed for cleaning at the main breakfast-time at 9.30.
Some could say, this should not be the reason for a bad review- ok. But my bad opinion is for the fact, that the WHOLE day the owner played drum&n base music (i am not an expert for this kind of music, but for me it was drum&base)with his turntables. The 5 tables for eating were straight next to the turntables, so there was no chance for starting the day quietly. The music was so loud in our room, too. So i think this hostel is for people, i would call them "alternative" (without being unrespectful), but for no one, who wants to spend some relaxing and nice days in this city.

Room Tip: Do they have good rooms???
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank britta s
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thanks for you review. We are in the middle of major renovations to the hostel and can see that during the time we have been painting and renovating it has been a major problem for a number of guests like yourself and below.
Points of your review I have addressed

1) Music (mellow variety and at nice level ) until happy hour fri / sat (we are still a youth hostel) and the owner has not been playing his turntables he is the guy covered in paint for past 10 weeks.

2) Rooms (full renovation in progress) All our new rooms have everything you need for you short stay.

All we can do is Apologies. We are an alternative hostel as you highlight and that is by no means rude to me :) We do not just play drum and base we have a range of music played from reggae, breaks, dub, house and funk during the day and until 11pm at the latest.
At the point of this reply I only have 5 bedrooms and the Men's shower to finish. we now have a dinning room and kitchen upstairs allowing ample space to cook and eat meals.
Come see what all the fuss is about.
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Four friends and I stayed at this place on our recent NZ adventure. The staff were friendly and the rooms were average. The place is a bit grotty, but this is a party hostel. Beer is very cheap (3 bottled beers for $9NZD) at the hostel's bar, and we even got a free spaghetti dinner. However, they did not cook enough pasta for myself and my friends to get any so we had to cook the pasta ourselves. This wasn't a problem as there were plenty of interesting foreigners to talk to. Overall this place is good, but not brilliant. The staff are helpful and the hostel does have a grungy sort of charm. Plus, it is a very short walk to the CBD.

Room Tip: If you don't mind getting to bed late, then give this hostel a shot.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
thanks for your review we have been on a mission to renovate the hostel and will be finished by mid august hopefully lose the grungy feel and become brilliant !! . We do like to sell cheap beers and supply free food and play good music :) glad you guys had a good stay.
Oxford, UK
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed here in a double room for five nights in June 2012. We’d done quite a bit of research on where to stay in Rotorua as we had just finished working up in the Bay of Islands and we wanted a nice place to stay at for the beginning of our holiday time. However, all our research proved pointless as when we arrived at Crash Palace we were greeted by what can only be described as a bomb site! The entire downstairs area (except for the lounge which is in front of the reception desk) was completely shut off for renovation. There was a strong smell of paint and loud drum n bass music was being played while the guys worked every day (and this went on until almost midnight on a couple of evenings). Given that we had called ahead about 3-4 days previously to book, we were pretty annoyed that no one had mentioned that renovations would be taking place and that large parts of the hostel would be out of action. I think normally there would be a kitchen and dining area downstairs, along with rooms and bathrooms, but we had no access to any of this. We were therefore only able to use the upstairs, which included a handful of bedrooms, male and female bathrooms, a kitchen and a “dining room” which was basically four metal tables with two chairs each that had been set up in a room that is normally a bedroom. I can’t describe how massively disappointed we were.

Our room itself was OK – it was a decent size and it at least had a heater that did genuinely heat the room up well. There was only a very small window though, and the usual problem of nowhere to put our things other than on the floor. I’d been briefly pleased when we checked in as the guy on reception said he’d given us that particular room as it had a wardrobe, although once we got to the room we discovered that it had no hangers in it! The bathrooms were also OK – they were clean and the showers were fairly powerful and a decent temperature. The kitchen however, was definitely not OK. It was small, not cleaned regularly and was one of the worst equipped hostel kitchens that I’ve seen. For a start there were only 6 mugs in the whole place and no glasses except for one pint glass (which we took back to our room and shared between us for our stay!) and a few plastic wine glasses. There was also nowhere to store your food, meaning that we had to keep everything in our room and carry it backwards and forwards to the kitchen. The dining room was a joke – it felt seriously creepy eating in a basically empty old bedroom (there was hardly anyone else around in the hostel for most of our stay) and it was also freezing as the room had 5 windows and little heating. The downstairs lounge was OK, but after our first night that too was out of action due to refurbishment and we just had to dodge through the wet paint to get out of the front door. The only good thing about the whole place was the spa pool/hot tub, which we used one evening and is out on the downstairs outside deck. We had to dodge through the out of action area to get to it, but I can imagine that in normal circumstances it would have been nicer.

This hostel seems to put a lot of emphasis on the free stuff that they give you (free pasta and rice, free popcorn one night, free pancake mixture one morning etc) but I get really frustrated by this. Why can’t hostels understand that the most important thing to get right is the basics? I would much rather buy my own pasta and have a decent, clean and well equipped kitchen to use. I also don’t see the point in providing free pancake mixture when there was only one half-decent pan in the kitchen that the mixture didn’t stick to!

All in all, this place probably will be pretty nice under normal circumstances when the renovations are done, but I find it outrageous that we were 1) not warned that this would be taking place, and 2) not offered any kind of discount in compensation for the fact that we couldn’t use half of the facilities that we’d paid for!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
I am so sorry that our renovations affected your stay with us in such a negative way and on behalf of my wife and myself I am truly sorry.. please understand I have very little time to complete the renovations and have been working crazy hours to complete the whole hostel in such a short time with no outside help from contractors or the like.(hence the late nights) I can now let you know we have finished downstairs and this area is now back to normal also since your stay I have finished the upstairs kitchen and dining room these also are now back in use with only the mens bathroom and 10 bedrooms to go we no longer are working past 10pm and the music has been replace with iPod. we have taken into account the little things moving forward with our rooms places for clothes hangers etc and the kitchens have all been stocked with new equipment.
Thank you for your review I have taken your comments on board and will be insuring any customers affected by further renovations are notified and subsequently offered a discount. Please contact us should you be returning and let us put you in one of our newly refurbished double rooms free of charge.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Love this place. Great value for the $$. Hot tub, book exchange, great common lounge, free rice and pasta and spices and oil in the kitchen. And the staff was terrific. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Crashpalace, Owner at Crash Palace, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
thanks so much for your kind words hope you enjoy the rest of nz !!