“Fantastic service”

Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
hawera, taranaki, New Zealand
“Fantastic service”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Thank you Merryn and Ngata for a fabulous weekend away in Rotorua. Very cosy and warm rooms, extremely tidy and tastefully decorated too. The thermal and swimming pool amenities were well used by our kids as well. Very accomodating service, couldn't do enough to help.
Highly recommended and would never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Red Rock T, Manager at Red Rock Thermal Motel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Kia Ora Michelle & Paul. We are glad that you enjoyed your weekend away in Rotorua. We know that your boys enjoyed the outdoor heated pool. It was pleasure to have you stay here with us and we look forward to being able to accommodate you again. Take care in the Naki - Merryn & Ngata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Thermal heating on a cold winters night is just the loveliest thing to have. This Motel is truly a little gem in a lovely town.

The rooms are nice and warm when you check in, are well furnished, clean and tidy (recent reno?), and come with the most well equipped kitchen that we found on our travels. It was also lovely to have a nice modern bathroom and free wi-fi. Guests are also welcome to use the outside pool and spa and can arrange for your washing to be done through the reception (bonus!).

The motel is located of a main road, but we weren't disturbed buy any street noise. It is a short drive to the city centre and to the main eating strip.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ziliga
Kia Ora. mmmm Yes warm geothermal heating, just what you need after a busy day in what can be chilly days here in Rotorua. We are glad that you enjoyed the unit; we have tried to give you everything you need in the kitchen, so we greatly appreciate the comment. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our little "gem" - Merryn & Ngata
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Ngata and Merryn couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome.Our unit was spacious, bright and cheerful and was a pleasure to return to each evening.The thermally heated radiators kept the unit cosy & warm & was lovely to arrive back to the warmth as it was pretty cold outside. The kitchen & wet room were excellent with plenty of room & everything one needed. Our unit was modern clean & well equipped & it was great to have a soak in the spa pool very inviting after a busy day. Also the outside pool was lovely warm & fun to swim in. We enjoyed our 3 days at Red Rock & will indeed stay again when we have another skating event down in Rotorua .

1 Thank kahlen3
Kia Ora Kathy. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. After the long days at the skating competition in less than tropical conditions, we agree that coming back to the warmth of the geothermal heating is a treat. Glad that you were able to use the heated pools and we look forward to seeing you again. Merryn & Ngata
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I knew exactly what I wanted for a couple of days to chill out quietly after a family funeral. I wanted unlimited wifi, parking for my hire car, a proper kitchen and a thermal pool on site. Rotorua has such a plethora of choices, especially if it's motels you're after, so I did a lot of research. But goodness me did it pay off!

This is such a terrific motel, I am really, really hoping I can go back sometime. I stayed in room 6 which had recently been decorated. It was excellent. I slept SO well. Everything worked, it was clean, it was amazingly warm. It's made me change my mind about NZ in the winter...because of the blue skies and thermal heating I would say July is a top time to visit Rotorua!

It also has a great thermal pool, which you can make private if you lock the door but adhere to the 20-minute rule. A fair rule and a lovely lovely pool.

Anyway, enough about how brilliant the place is - it's the staff that really make it. I had the misfortune to have my car broken into while I was at Hell's Gate, but at 7pm Merryn and Ngata sprang into action to help me, Merryn lending me the phone (and an ear!) while Ngata did the most terrific quick-fix on my smashed quarter light window. It saw me all the way to Auckland the following day. They turned a potentially bad night into a good one by being so efficient, practical and sympathetic.

Not only that, but they asked in advance what I was interested in doing in Rotorua and found me the corresponding money-off vouchers.

10 out of 10 wouldn't be a high enough score. If you're deliberating between a few choices - stay here! But leave enough room for me!!

Room Tip: Room 6 was spectacular. Full kitchen, brand new bathroom, thermal heating. What more can I say?!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kia Ora Andrea. Thank you so very much for the wonderful review. We were pleased to hear that Ngatas window patch up worked successfully for you for your return trip to Auckland.
We are glad that you had a chance to re-energise and see some of Rotorua's beauty. Along with enjoying a relaxing soak in our private geothermal mineral pool, it certainly warms that winters bones being set at 41 degrees. We look forward to your return and wish you all the best - Merryn & Ngata
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 13, 2013

On arrival at Red Rock Motel I was greeted by Ngata and Merryn and they showed me around. I was in unit 6, and I could not believe just how lovely it was. It had recently been decorated very tastefully, was lovely and warm, had an excellent kitchen with everything you need in it. The bathroom was great, with an excellent shower. The bed was very comfortable, the linen very clean, as was the rest of the unit. They have a great little geothermal soak pool, and you could turn the bubbles on if you wanted to, and also a heated swimming pool, one that you could actually feel very comfortable in with the temperature just above 37 degrees - in fact I could not keep out of these 2 lovely pools. This motel is on the local bus route, and I got on the bus and went to Skyline, and up in the Gondola to Mt Ngongotaha where I had a very nice lunch - it was a perfect day, and the views are fantastic. I have been there before, but wanted to go back, and enjoyed it just as much. The other place that is well worth going to is Ohinemutu - I walked there from the motel, and it has a very nice church, and great thermal activity - it is a "must visit" place when you go to Rotorua - right on the edge of the lake. I highly recommend this motel to anyone wanting a very comfortable stay while in Rotorua. I did not want to go home, loved the free wifi, and I will certainly be back to Red Rock.

Gaye Anne N

Room Tip: Go for room 6 - you wont be disappointed - very nice quiet end room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kia Ora Gaye Anne. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and have you stay here with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our newly renovated Superior Studios. We know that you enjoyed the pools as we saw you making the most of them during your stay. It was great to hear of your daily adventures. We thank you so much for the lovely review and we look forward to your return visit. Keep that beautiful smile - Merryn & Ngata :-)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in the cottage and then 2 nights in one of the apartments that is not yet renovated as we liked it so much we decided to stay longer. Cottage was lovely with stacks of space and very comfortable beds and quality linen for a luxury sleep. The apartment, even without renovation, was absolutely fine with the same comfy beds and linen.

Small swimming pool was 37 degrees so a real treat, the kids loved it and the large trampoline. The hot thermal pool is great after a day of activities. Our hosts were friendly and helpful with lots of recommendations. If you are driving the location is perfect, only 5 minutes into the town centre.

Plenty of hot water and pressure, WiFi was free but a bit flakey at times, maybe everyone was using it at the same time?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kia Ora Mo, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, apologies about having to move you to another unit but our Cottage is very popular.
We are glad that you enjoyed the facilities, the outdoor heated pool is great even in winter and the trampoline is a hit with kids of all ages (even some that are kids several times over!). We trust you enjoyed the rest of your travels. Merryn & Ngata
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Excellent hosts and great room that was very warm and inviting. Merryn was very welcoming and was very positive about having my wee dog, in fact Merryn said that I could have in the unit and openly invited him. I can't rave enough about the generosity of Merryn and Ngata as host. I highly recommend this motel to all travellers! Free Wi-fi, a great shower, wonderful spa and just great hosts. Ngata helped to navigate my boat and was very respectful. I thank you both for such a relaxing stay in Rotovegas! I will definitely stay again... Nga mihi aroha kia a korua. Mahina

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kia Ora Mahina. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wee dog on your journey down south. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and made use of our facilities; we too agree the mineral pool is wonderful! Wishing you all the best, take care Merryn & Ngata