“True Kiwi hospitality in a beautiful setting!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ngongotaha Lakeside Lodge

Ngongotaha Lakeside Lodge
Ranked #10 of 56 Rotorua B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“True Kiwi hospitality in a beautiful setting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome than we were given by Lindsay and Graham! They were true hosts in every sense of the word - but made us feel as if we were living in our own home! They also provided us with excellent advice about new and interesting places to visit in the area - even though we had visited Ngongotaha several times in the past.

Our room (with a gorgeous view over Lake Rotorua) was beautifully appointed with every convenience. And the residents' lounge - which we enjoyed on our own as we were the only guests - was beautifully furnished with comforable sofas and chairs and also had a marvellous view over the lake. There were many books that we could browse at leisure, as well as a good supply of coffee, tea and biscuits - and cold drinks in the fridge.

The breakfasts were excellent - with fresh fruit and yoghurt or a full cooked breakfast if you wanted it. And my wife's gluten intolerance was fully catered for with cereal, bread and biscuits.

We would happily recommend Lakeside Lodge to anyone who is looking for first class acommodation in the Rotorua area. In our experience, it ranks among the very best places we have ever stayed in New Zealand.

Room Tip: For a a private lake view and a balcony, choose the Wai Motu room. That said, the resident's lo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I visited Ngongotaha Lakeside Lodge about 7 years ago. In my mind, it still is the best place in the world. I have travelled all over the world but nothing compares to this property. Lyndsay and Graham were such amazing hosts. The friendly Kiwi hospitality was alive and well at this lodge. As a solo traveller, Lyndsay and Graham made my travel in Rotorua special, memorable and outstanding. They were a wealth of information. They truly care about their guests. They wanted to make sure that your experiences in New Zealand would be special. My hosts arranged for me to attend a Maori feast and booked my first horseback riding lesson. Our laughs over a wonderful dinner at a local bistro are something I will cherish forever.

Ngongotaha is on the outskirts of Rotorua. You can reach the lodge by bus. I didn't have a car while in NZ. The bus service was great and locals were so nice. The lodge rests in a peaceful setting surrounding by water. The views from the guest floor are breathtaking. The beach, birds and the gentle crashing of waves on the sand are all visible from the lounge. Unwind, learn about the Maori culture, do horseback riding in the nearby hills but most of all enjoy the quiet setting. Visiting this lodge is a must. It would be a sin not to. Thank you Lyndsay and Graham. Your hospitality and your guidance resulted in me falling in love with NZ and everything it has to offer.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I want to adopt Graham and Lindsay as my parents, or godparents, or better, fairy godparents. They took great care of us and made us feel special, welcome, cared for and yes even loved. I had a birthday on a rare rainy day in Rotorua summer and Lindsay more than made up for the dreadful weather. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to be treated like they are loved and missed family members who have finally arrived after a long absence.

Room Tip: All are great.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

Even in the worst possible weather, Lyndsay and Graham ensured we had a great stay. All of Lyndsay's tips about things to do were spot on - definitely ask her for advice. And their breakfasts were brilliant! (We didn't need to eat again until dinner...) Thanks again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Graham and Lyndsay are really something else. You get the impression that they can't do enough for you. We stayed there for three nights and really enjoyed their company.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

My first visit to New Zealand involved two stops on the North Island, the second of which was to stay at the Ngongotaha Lakeside Lodge in Rotorua to do some fly fishing.

On my arrival I was warmly greeted by Lyndsay and Graham who went out of their way to make me welcome and to get settled into my comfortable twin bed room with shower and wash room en-suite. The lodge is purpose designed to cater for B&B and has a very spacious guest lounge on the first floor with huge glass windows giving a panoramic view of the lake – right at the end of the garden with adjacent stream!

The guest lounge has free coffee, tea and beer in the fridge along with a selection of delicious home made cookies. Next to the lounge a private kitchen allows the hosts to prepare breakfast, with an endless choice to keep the hungry fisherman going.

My paid guided day with Graham included all the equipment I needed along with a nice packed lunch, allowing him to take me to several locations to do battle with the trout. The following day I fished for the morning before going sight seeing to the thermal springs.

Having travelled extensively I can sincerely say that the accommodation and lodge were spotlessly clean, very comfortable with free PC use and my hosts were so helpful especially in giving me information on where to go and park and eat in Rotorua, I was almost sorry to have to leave!

I think the Lodge offers very good value for money and is well located both for fishing and touring; I would certainly use it again.

Peter UK

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BigfishRotorua, Owner at Ngongotaha Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Many thanks for this lovely long review of your stay with us Peter.
Thank you too, for choosing to stay with us during your first fishing trip to NZ.
We enjoyed having you stay with us, but were sorry that the fishing was not at it's best for you this time round . . . . maybe your next trip will be better :)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Excellent in every respect. Graham and Lyndsay couldn't have been more charming and helpful. Their breakfast was superb and their local knowledge benefitted us greatly to see the best sights there was in the short time we had.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BigfishRotorua, Owner at Ngongotaha Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
We are so pleased that you enjoyed Rotorua and your stay with us.
You were super guests' and we did enjoy meeting you all.
You say "can't wait to go back" . . . . let's hope it will be soon!
Take care.