“What a welcome.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 56 Rotorua B&B and Inns
Gloucestershire
“What a welcome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights, mid-September and really enjoyed our stay. Frank and Monica were so welcoming and keen to make sure we had a good time. They are obviously very proud of their B&B and want everyone who stays to be comfortable. The breakfasts were amazing and the spa pool was just what was needed after a full-days sight-seeing. Good value for money.

Room Tip: We had a twin-room on the ground floor with our private bathroom opposite. This was really good but...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed at here in June 2012 for 3 days 2 nights. It's a charming little bed and breakfast,very homey : ) It was really clean and comfortable and quiet. Even though I stayed at the blue room which is considered one of the biggest room in the B&B but I still find the size to be considered at the small side. Also, I found that the B&B did not has good noise partition, so some people might find their privacy was being affected.

Apart from that, I could barely receive any wifi in my room (Blue Room). Instead I had to go online (with the use of Wifi) at the common area which has a warmth and home style ambience. However, it has an excellent and central location, 7 mins walking distance to the city centre and restaurants, cafes as well as supermarket.

On top of that, they provide complementary airport pick up which is a bonus too as the airport is far away to the city and the airport shuttle is not considered frequent, almost 1 every 30 mins. Frank, who is the host, is a friendly and helpful guy. My flight was delayed for almost 1 hour and I did not have a chance to notify him but he was really nice and understanding. Also, he was aware that I did not drive at rotorua, so he gave me a brief city tour so that I would have a brief idea towards rotorua city. Appreciated!! Gave me advice on my trip before arrival and was pretty flexible with the time to send me off to airport too.

Overall, it was a comfortable staying experience- excellent location, clean and comfortable, friendly host and affordable price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

My 21 year old daughter and I stayed for two nights during July 2012. Our room was on the small size, but perfectly clean and comfortable. We had exclusive access to the bathroom across the hall, making it effectively equivalent to an en suite accomodation. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, though communication was sometimes difficult since English is a second language to the Asian hosts. The location is off the main thoroughfare, making it quiet inside and out. Walking to markets and restaurants would convenient. There is a car park plenty adequate for a facility this size.

Breakfast was excellent, with cereals and yogurt, a couple of types of bread/toast, and hot dishes (eggs) made to order. The house is heated geothermally (hot water from the ground piped through radiators) and we especially enjoyed the private thermal spa, relaxing in it each evening. Free internet was provided on a "public" computer.

On top of the quality of everything we experienced at Tresco, it was extremely reasonable in price. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

It was in 2006/7 when I was initially passing through Rotorua and was desperately looking for somewhere to stay. The information centre managed to make me a last minute booing at Tresco which was then owned by Trevor and Trinka. They were also brilliant hosts and made their B&B home from home. I have had to put 2011 to enable me to submit the review.

The only slightly off putting thing about Rotorua is the hydrogen sulphide smell from the thermal activity but in a strange way it grows on you and becomes less noticeable after a short while.

The location of Tresco is very convenient walking distance to local shops and restaurants, but if you have a car everywhere else is a short drive. Anyway I enjoyed it so much, I have stayed there twice since and am considering staying there again. I will miss Trevor and Trinka but this time with new hosts Frank and Monika.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Yes so far in NZ I have stayed in 4 different bed and breakfasts and they have all been lovely, thank you Monica for being a great host

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at the Tresco Rotorua for two nights in mid March 2012 and thorougly enjoyed it. Frank and Monica were wonderful hosts, very warm and welcoming. Frank was very kind and picked us up at the bus station. Our room was smallish, very clean and had everything we would want as travellers. They had lots of tourist brochures to look at and was able to book for us a day trip to one of the thermal areas.
We found their breakfast to be outstanding...right from a wee menu to choose what you would like to the breakfast placed in front of us...cooked to our specifications....and there was plenty of it as well. No one would ever leave hungry here!
This bed and breakfast is probably one of the original Rotorua places for accommodation and came complete with its own private thermal spa. That amenity was very unique to have.
While they did not have wireless internet, they did provide a computer for guests to use and that was very much appreciated.
The location made for easy walking around the city and very close to a Countdown store for provisions, should you need them.
All in all this was a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Orpington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We had 2 one night stays separated by 4 days . Second time around it was like coming home as we had such a friendly welcome from Frank and Monica when we first arrived. Nothing was a problem and our evening at the Maori cultural centre was quickly arranged. Free internet access was a bonus. Our room was clean and comfortable and excellent value for money.
Breakfast was cooked to order, and it was great to chat with other guests who had interesting tales to tell whilst Frank beamed away. We had the pleasure of writing the first comments in the new guest book .The old one was full of praise as well!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple