“Best In Lake Rotorua”

Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua
Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is one of the best property in rotorua. Though its a bit far off from the main city but this is an amazing place. Its quiet and peaceful. If in a group or family this is one of the best to stay in. Tennis courts to play. Its truly a home converted into guest house.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
214KPR, Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Lovely comments. We are only a 7 minute drive to the city so not sure about it being a bit far from the city :)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is a very hard property to review because the accommodation options are so different from each other and would have a big impact on your overall experience. Its not a purpose built resort but rather a family home that has been converted into a guest house. I'll start by giving a big thumbs up to Andrew. As many others reported, he greeted us with a friendly smile and took us to our initial room, very nice welcome indeed. Its unfortunate this friendly approach was not universal amongst other staff.

We started off in the two bedroom apartment below the owners house. To be honest it was a little disappointing. As already reported its directly next to the tennis court, and by directly I mean about 1 m from the kitchen windows to the court fence. If someone was playing there, it would be impossible to ignore them or sleep. Also, this room only has a single bathroom which for 2 adults and 2 children was not ideal and the decoration is very dated; it needs renovating in my opinion and the court needs to be screened. Fortunately for us, the electricity did not work in the main bedroom so we were moved to the owners property as that was the only other accommodation that could hold a family. This was a different world from the room below; stunning views, more bathrooms than people, even has an internal elevator although I didn't want to risk using it. The only negative I could say about it would be its cost; at the price quoted to us you are getting close to places like Solitaire and even Huka Lodge both of which I have stayed at but too long ago to warrant reviews. Its sold as a room for multiple visitors, but then there is only one main bedroom with the others all perfectly decent but much smaller...difficult to see how you could evenly split a bill up there.

The big downside of Peppers is that as a guest house, its facilities are lacking. There is no pool, which did not bother us as we were out every day, but the restaurant facilities were not adequate. On the day we arrived there was a wedding which meant no food on site at all; good job we arrived early in the afternoon. On the other days, we ate on site. The food was good, although its a very limited menu but that is understandable due to the small number of guests that can stay. Children's food was not up to scratch. Simple pasta, chicken nuggets which very closely resembled fast food takeout, all at premium prices. Adult food was good; breakfast the best I have ever had anywhere - top marks there.

Other accommodation varied wildly; there appeared to be 2 cabin style buildings both of which had amazing views and spas, but which were quite exposed to other people wandering around. There is also accommodation in the original house which forms the main part of Peppers; speaking to guests staying there they said it was nothing special and from my observations could be subject to noise if people decided to hang around outside of an evening.

Its position on the lake is great. It goes directly to the waterfront with its private beach; the animals were very friendly especially when they saw my daughter carrying some apples for them (we asked permission to feed them first btw).

Overall it was a pleasant stay, but not one that provided any sort of wow factor, except for the views from the owners property but as I said the cost of staying there puts you into a different league and opens up opportunities I would choose in preference. Its a good location in Rotorua if that is where you are going, but its not the sort of place I would go to just for the sake of staying there unless it gets a makeover and the restaurant facilities are improved.

Room Tip: Either request a cabin or stay in the owners accommodation.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Very glad these guests enjoyed there stay

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Wow....yes like my wife (Ravi) said it was amazing. From the start Andrew greeted us with a warm friendly welcome and showed us through to our lakeside cottage with spa.
We had a wonderful five course meal, which was to die for. Food was of international standard.
Once again all the staff were accommodating and fantastic in everyway.
Unfortunately our stay was limited only to two nights. My wife and I would have liked to have stayed a lot longer to enjoy the location and environment which was so relaxing.
I will recommend this to all my family and friends.
Thank you again “Peppers on the Point – Rotorua” for making our stay a special one.
Warm Regards

Kirk Brennan & Ravi Brennan

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
214KPR, Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thank you for your kind words and we are sure happy you had a very enjoyable time!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Wow ....I don't know where to start..!!!
From the time we arrived on Saturday for my birthday surprise until the time We left we were totally impressed with Peppers On the Point...!
Andrew who greeted us on arrival treated us like we were family.
The Cottage we stayed in with the Spa pool on the deck with views to die for over the lake was a added bonus.

The 5 course dinner we had that evening was delicious and the service we received from the friendly staff made our night even more pleasurable.
The breakfasts both mornings were also very good.
Thanks to the great chefs both dinner and breakfast.

I travel overseas on a very frequent basis and stay and many lovely hotels,however we feel Peppers on the Point is not like a sterile hotel its more like a down to earth comfortable home/resort.
We felt totally relaxed throughout our stay at this wonderful place.

I also had a relaxing massage whilst staying here and found this to be of international standards as well.
We are totally impressed and will recommend Peppers on the Point and will definitely be recommending this accommodation to our overseas friends and our friends and family in NZ.

Thanks everyone at Peppers for making this the most memorable birthday I have ever had.

You Rock!!!!
Ravi & Kirk

Room Tip: The Cottage next to the Chapel with the Spa Pool very romantic
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kiwiskygirl-1
214KPR, Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

How lovely to read such a postive review, we are delighted you had such a wonderful visit with us and that we could contribute to making your birthday so enjoyable! It was a joy to meet such a relaxed friendly couple and we certainly hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Many of the other reviews of this property are positive so we may have just had a bad experience.
The location and views are fantastic but that was the only positive thing I can say.
As the title suggests this is not a Hotel but a bed & breakfast. Staff are not onsite after 5pm which in the event of a problem means nothing can be done.
The rooms are clean and tidy albeit with a tired decor. Tea & Coffee facilities were provided in room but we only had one teabag !!! We're British for god's sake don't they know how much tea we drink ??
Breakfast was not a great experience. Frozen bread to make toast I can cope with but both my poached and my son's fried eggs were undercooked. In my son's case there was still uncooked egg white....not nice first thing in the morning.
All of this I could have coped with but the nail in the coffin and the reason we left a day early (despite having pre-paid) was the reaction of the Manager to a problem.
We arrived back in the room in the evening to discover the internet was not working. I still have to work whilst away so this was a major problem to me. On speaking to the Manager his response was that I shouldn't travel without all the data I need for work and there was nothing he could do. I'm not often at a loss for words but I was somewhat taken aback by his attitude. I could have accepted that the problem was out of his control but to basically be told that he didn't care and that I shouldn't combine travel and business did, I admit, make me slightly cross!!!!
Checking out the following morning he couldn't even look me in the eye. He just took the keys off me without a word.
I'm sure in his inevitable response he will say that he offered to come down with his mobile to get me on the internet (I was able to do this myself in the end) but this was after the first telephone call and after he realised how much he'd upset me.
In short the service was well short of what I expect from any establishment let alone one that purports to be at the top end.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Phil G
214KPR, General Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Internet! Something we all rely on BIG TIME!

Yes we had a major problem with this and were let down by NZ largest telecommunications company switching from ADSL to VDSL, in fact we have just got our internet back on after 6 days without it so I totally understand how important it is to have as I tried to run this business without it!

We provide a free internet service to our guests which is so very often appreciated so I was so taken aback by this guest’s response to us not having internet saying it was simply unacceptable!

As it was simply out of our control I tried to explain this but it was not accepted.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

A group of us went for dinner at Peppers and the food was fantastic. Nice and warm on a Winters night with one of the best views over the lake in Rotorua. The Chef just won a Rotorua hospitality award and I can see why! Thanks to the Martins for a great night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndyFuller
214KPR, General Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

You are more than welcome. We are happy you had a memorable night!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have stayed at Peppers Hotels within Australia and New Zealand over many years - these are FIVE star hotels designed for couple NOT families with young babies. Very disappointing that we sit down to dinner with a screaming toddler. We just wanted a quiet romantic dinner and we have to deal with a young toddler running around? Staff were dealing with a large dinner party - felt like we were an inconvenience. Not a good experience. Nice grounds but room was not up to expected Peppers Standard. This is the first bad experience with a Peppers hotel. We would not stay here again. Peppers Carringtons in the Northland was exceptional.

Room Tip: Rooms are close together - you can hear next door. do not choose one in the main house.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jinnine r

What a shame! It's pretty hard to find a property here in NZ that doesn't take children. I think this couple simply did not like children! Our lodge welcomes children so it's best to check with an accommodation provider before the reservation is made. We also do our best to have our families dine earlier or even offer room service and did so on this occasion but our guests declined and wanted to dine in the dining room. Also here in NZ it is not acceptable to ask that a child is removed from a restaurant so we have to rely on the parents to manage this.
Another comment about the rooms, they are just lovely and definitely up to Peppers standards. These guests even made the comment to me how lovely the room was when I checked them in so it’s a real shame they have to try and bring our property down because we had a child in our restaurant.
Another note: This is a converted homestead so not fully noise proofed but if you, say a television on at a reasonable audible level you will not disturb anyone else in the next room so perhaps the couple next door where a little excited and were playing a game of some sorts :)