The Backyard Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
View Hotel
All reviewscommunal kitchenthermal hot poolcommon roomcommunal areaskuirau parkopened the doorenjoyed my staycentral rotoruatown centreaquaticaccommodationsinksdustonsiteheapssports
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed in a quad chalet for 2 nights in February. The rooms are small and very basic but that's fine if you aren't planning to spend much time inside. Beds are soft and comfortable and the thermal heating is superb - I can't imagine ever getting cold there in winter.

In terms of location - it is not as central as other backpackers such as the YHA or Base but it does back onto a huge sports field and there is a good market on the other side of the field on Saturday mornings which is worth a look.

The free (and very large) spa pool is amazing and is always busy. The kitchen is ok, pots and pans are pretty old but I guess that is to be expected. One strange thing is that we couldn't find a freezer anywhere which was annoying.....

I have stayed here a few times, sometimes in the chalets and sometimes in the dorm rooms. In comparison the YHA's facilities are much newer/nicer but they don't have a thermal hot pool. Base does have a hot pool but their kitchen facilities aren't as good as the YHA or Kiwi Paka. Swings and roundabouts I guess - depends what is important to you.

Room Tip: Chalets are nicer than the dorm rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Kiwi Paka is a comfortable place for you to stay in Rotorua. The rooms are cozy, there is a hot water pool, games room, internet facilities, a nice bar and a cafetetia serving delicious meals. The staff is very friendly. All this only a 10-minute walk from the centre of Rotorua.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The hostel was a lovely place, with lots of room. We were lucky enough to all get small rooms as I think that is all that is available. The rooms all have single beds so no climbing up ladders late at night. The common area was great with large fridges so plenty of space. We were told not to drink our own alcohol in the hostel but of course we had a few in our rooms and in common areas. There is a bar just down the road from the hostel which everyone is encouraged to visit. I would recommend Curly's bar. Of course as it is in the middle of no where the prices can be a little hefty. Other than this I would say you will have a nice time there especially of you are only there to visit the glow worm caves.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The staff here were very helpful and friendly and the double room was set apart from the main hostel. It was quite big and clean but there were ants in the room. The compound has it's own cafe and bar and the room had a TV and balcony but no towels. The compound was quite noisy in the evening and the gates were locked quite early, but a worrying thing was the security patrol's car which kept screeching up and down the drive three times that night. I'm not sure if crime is a problem in general in the area, but there were a lot of signs reminding you to lok up, etc. Perhaps not the best place to stay in town.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed here at the suggestion of another traveler and it turned out to be a great recommendation. Kiwi Paka was very clean and was close to “town”. It had its own pizza restaurant that also featured drinks, snacks, and a morning breakfast. I booked a dorm room but after being assigned my room key, opened the door to find my own room with a double bed! This was a nice break after weeks of couch surfing and dorm rooms.

There wasn’t anything noticeably exceptional about Kiwi Paka but it was a nice, quiet place to relax - with clean showers and hot water - after a day of caving.

Unfortunately I didn’t get a feel for the community atmosphere as I retired to my room and passed out after my caving adventure, but I would recommend this hostel anyway.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo