“Really nice team with excellent bikes” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain Bike Rotorua- Day Tours

Mountain Bike Rotorua- Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The official Whakarewarewa Redwood Forest Mountain Bike Hire and Tour company.
Tennessee
“Really nice team with excellent bikes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Hired 4 bikes for a small group from work, Tu and the team took the time to ensure that each bike was personally set up for our heights, weights and riding style. Super friendly, explained everything they were doing and made sure we were comfortable and confident before setting off. Highly professional setup and highly recommended.

Brisbane
“Must do...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

...for anyone visiting Rotorua to do adventure sports.
Tu and the guys have all you need to have a blast in the forest.
We hired the 29" hardtails which were well maintained and fine for most of the trails.
Coffee, cold drink and chocolate brownie at the Cafe capped off a great morning.

Visited December 2012
Welly, NZ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great wholesome family entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nice friendly staff and you can hire the bikes on-site. There is a range of bikes, all are good quality, well-maintained, average condition (remember these are rental bikes). Good quality as in they are decent branded bikes, well built, with good gears and reasonably quality hydraulic brakes. But be aware these are not high-end bikes. They provide helmets at no additional charge. They can also provide backpacks. For half-day or more, it would be better to bring a water bottle. There are water stations scattered around the tracks, where you can fill up or drink, so no excuse for dying from thirst!
There's something for every member of the family who can ride a bike. Beginner bikers can stay on the easy tracks, have a great time, and a taste of mountain biking. Beginners should be fine with a 2-hour rental, and if find you really enjoy it and have a bit more energy in the tank, you can extend it to half a day, for $10 more. They also have a limited number of small bikes for young children.
For the occassional mountain biker, a half-day is just perfect. Enough time to get around the tracks without getting completely exhauseted.
Experienced and highly fit bikers - go for your life - there's plenty to keep you entertained!
If you are a new-ish mountain biker, stay with grade 2 trails or lower.
In general, the grade 3 trails get harder the higher up the hill you go. So if you are not sure, try the grade 3 trails lower down the hill first. Grade 3 trails further up would best be described as Grade 3+. If you are not comfortable with small downhill jumps, don't ride the higher hill trails. Conversely, if you enjoy those, go for it. If you are pressed for time (or fitness!) and just want to have lots of downhill fun, there's a shuttle that takes you up the hill and you can ride down. You can buy a multi-trip pass which can be shared with others. Note - this would not be suitable for first-timers; stick to the easy trails on the lower hill if so.
There are big maps posted at strategic points all over. However, I found the $5 paper map very useful. Recommend you buy one, if you are planning to ride up the hill.
The trails are generally soft to medium. Not too many hard, rocky surfaces. Experienced riders, watch the easy trails - it's far too tempting to go too quick and have a spill there!
Will definitely ride again next time I'm in Rotorua.

Visited December 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
“Outstanding operation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I highly recommend Mountain Bike Rorotua. Their entire crew was excellent from my first email and phone contacts several months ago, through a great guided orientation ride and four days of bike rental and on through a courtesy ride back to my accommodations in town. I used their operation at the trailhead as my base for four days of riding. All the staff were friendly, helpful and responsive as i dropped by daily for coffee and route advice. An awesome orientation ride set me up perfectly for three more days of solo riding. I rented a full suspension bike that was in great shape and perfectly set up by Brad, their master mechanic and my ride guide. I said I had two goals....have a great time and improve my MTB skills. I achieved both and then some. The crew truly cares about their clients and I never felt like "just another customer" . They are the best.

Visited November 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Disappointed big time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We arrived mid week and went to the kiosk to see about renting 6 mountain bikes. The dude behind the counter was too busy chatting to his mate to even acknowledge us. We stood around for a couple of minutes until someone else came in and asked if they could help. They only seemed to have 4 child's bikes which were out at the time. We needed 2. They said we could come back in an hour or so when they were expected to be back. Found out later there was another (better) company down the road (Planet Bike) with heaps of bikes. I know there's such a thing as competition but a decent attitude and service ethic would have seen them direct us somewhere that could help. Seriously disappointed. Really bad form and we missed out on a cool Rotorua attraction on a sunny day.

Visited October 2012