“Do it, do it, do it!”

and up
Rotorua Forest Zipline Canopy Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Opened in August 2012. Explore the ancient forest of the Mamaku Plateau 10 minutes from Rotorua on New Zealand's only native forest zipline canopy tour. An incredible experience built and opened in 2012 this 3 hour eco adventure includes tree platforms up to 22 metres above the forest floor, 6 ziplines and 2 tree to tree swing bridges. In small groups of up to ten people you will be accompanied by two highly trained guides who will teach you about the rare New Zealand flora and fauna and the conservation efforts to protect them. Every plant and tree species you see, you will not see in any other country on earth!!
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Everyone has pretty much said it all. Our guides were Michelle and Dan; both were extremely friendly and full of knowledge. I have a slight fear of heights but with all the safety gear/precautions and wide tree platforms, all nervousness went away after the first zip. The trip was exhilarating and I enjoyed listening to their plans to bring their native birds back. Spendy? Yes but absolutely worth it. I admire their mission and wish the group the best of luck with their conservation efforts! Thank you so much for a marvelous time.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,282)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was really impressed by the team at Canopy Tours they run a very slick operation.
I have been in Rotorua for over 14 years and had never visited the area they are operating in.
To have access to such a pristine piece of virgin native forest is pretty special.
the conservation aspect of the business is great. Its nice to see an operation giving back to the environment and with their pest eradication program the trip should just get better and better in the coming years as native birds return to the area.
Thank you to all the team for the opportunity to experience a very special trip.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We got picked up from our hotel and at the office met Shane and Alex who put us in our harness. It felt really heavy. On the bus ride to the forest, they did the introductions and were fun helping us get to know each other. At the forest we walked to the first platform. Alex knew EVERYTHING about ALL the plants we saw and Shane showed us some of the plants you can eat. At the first platform I was so excited I was the first to go. I was screaming it was so much fun. My dad and me were the only ones to go on the ziplines so it was like a private tour. We got to feed a robin right from our hands. 2 ziplines were so long we couldn't see the end and they were the most fun. 40m up a Rimu tree, Shane taught us about conservation and how the possums eat the plants and bird's eggs, We also had a conservation walk and saw the traps for possums and other pests. On the last zipline it was so much FUN! Shane bounced up and down like a monkey. He made us laugh, A LOT. When I got to the end, he sent me backwards up the zipline. I loved the bouncy bridges. I learned lots when we were there. I loved seeing a real Tui. I loved doing it so much I just wanted to do it over and over again. Dad says I have to wait until our next trip to NZ.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Any initial fears over personal safety swiftly vanish via the professional delivery of well-experienced guides - in our case Steph and Michelle - as well as the presentation of the company base.

After your first zip line, seeing the safety practices the guides follow and the well-installed platforms, you realise quickly it is up to you to make the most of this unique experience in beautiful surroundings.

The price is a bit steep, but this is not an activity that you can do anywhere - and the conservation spiel is very genuine.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Wow, the moment you reach the office you are met by the most welcoming of faces. Taken into their lounge and given a bit of a brief. You are then given a form to read & then sign your life away trusting the guides to do what they do!

From the harnesses being attached, and the introduction of others on the tour you are then whisked away into some forrest close by.
A short journey of 10-15 mins your are unleashed in a part of the Mamaku's. True virgin forrest with that lovely soft bounce in the trail making you enjoy the walk to your first zip line. Michele & Steph (the guides) tag team in there safety & eco talks along the way and really keep us entertained with there humour and knowledge of the forrest, fauna and flora.
Several ziplines later, we are all laughing at how are cleanched white knuckled fists become handsfree and new moves include spins, jumping of platforms backwards and hanging upside down.

This experience, is truly an exhilerating rush. A must for anyone (not afraid of heights) I look forward to the night tour coming soon!!