“Perfect trip for a helicopter virgin”
Review of HELiPRO

HELiPRO
Ranked #35 of 60 Tours in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: The best way to view the Bay of Plenty’s incredibly varied geothermal region is by air. We offer a range of unique and unforgettable scenic flights and excursions which feature this areas remarkable volcanic landscape. You can choose from a short flight over the city or our beautiful Crater Lake district or go for the experience of a life time and land on one of our local volcanoes! HELiPRO offers exclusive landings on the awe inspiring Mt. Tarawera volcano (site of the largest eruption in New Zealand’s living memory) as well as guided tours to White Island, New Zealand’s most active volcano. You can also combine a flight with jet-boating, fishing, rafting, golf, launch cruises, wine tours and lodge transfers. From experiencing the thrill of vertical flight to creating a memory of a lifetime there is something for everyone!
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Perfect trip for a helicopter virgin”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Top of my list of things never to do in my lifetime was flying in a helicopter, so when my wife spotted this trip in the guide book with a flight to the top of a volcano leaving in 20 minutes time, my blood ran cold. I offered to drive her to the place saying I would think about accompanying her, fully intending to keep my feet firmly on the ground. We got to Helipro at the back of Te Puia in record time (my wife drove, of course) and, despite my protestations (the choice between going on the flight and divorce was not an easy one to make) the next thing I knew I was sandwiched between Edine, our lady pilot, and my wife in the front of this tiny 5-seater helicopter, with two other customers in the back. Headsets were donned, instructions given and within no time flat we were bounced up into the air and "floated" away over the tree tops. I had had no idea what to expect, but once we were up the panic was over and what had for me been a nightmare scenario actually turned into an unforgettable experience. Edine was brilliant, keeping me reassured and pointing out the scenery as we flew over hills and lakes, coming in to land on the top of the sacred Maori volcano. The view was stunning and the idea of being up there with just a little helicopter to get us back down was exciting.

It was a short excursion and not cheap at that, but it was just the right one for me as a first timer, and it was well worth it - and my wife can no longer say I'm a spoil-sport.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank John S

United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Sarah & Andy, White Island Volcano”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had been looking forward to this trip as the highlight to our visit to NZ, it did not disappoint! We kept an eye on the weather and booked about 4 days in advance, and the forecasters were spot on, it was a perfect still sunny morning. When booking in advance it is worth giving the guys at Helipro a ring the day before to confirm the time, we arrived 1/2 hour too early - no problem the airport has a good cafe.
Eddie, (Edwina) our pilot was great, professional, relaxing and a great knowledge of the area and the science involved at the volcano. We had a smooth flight out and the circuit of the caldera as we came into land gave a great impression of the size of the thing. Being on an active volcano is something you will never forget; the feeling of power, the noise, the smell, a crater lake with a pH on the minus scale! Its hard to put that into words, but if anyone has stood next to a steam locomotive when it is pressured up and ready to go, its like that, it feels alive.
An experience of a lifetime, and Helipro were great.

Visited April 2014
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Spectacular trip to the active volcano, White Island”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Amazing trip from start to finish. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Taza out pilot was brilliant, very informative and funny and above all, a great smooth flight. The trip to the volcano was amazing, walking through it was breath taking, quite literally, but no panick, they provide masks!!!

Highly recommend this company and trip to all, it may be pricey but worth every cent!!!

Visited January 2014
Broadmayne, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“flight to Tarawera”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

had a great flight with Edina as our pilot, very informative, fantastic views and very smooth flying. had a great trip. many thanks

Visited November 2013
Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Trip of a lifetime to White Island”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stand on an active volcano, boiling mud pools, fumorals, steam, smell of sulphur knowing you can be out of there within 5 minutes was just fantastic. And Helipro provided the comfort blanket to do it. If you go to Rotorua you have to do this with Helipro. Very professional, informative and relaxing for a first time flyer.

Visited November 2013