“An enjoyable stay”

Holiday Inn Rotorua
Ranked #16 of 91 Hotels in Rotorua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 6, 2013

A very modern hotel - the rooms were very clean & quite spacious.
The restaruant would one of the better hotel one's that I have dined at & we thoroughly enjoyed our meals - quite tasty & the staff who served us were outstanding.
Our room was unfortunately situated above the swimming pool & we had a bit of trouble trying to get to sleep as the pool seemingly was in use to approx 10pm & the noise from the people using the pool was a nuisance.
All in all we had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SingleMaltMan1
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear SinglemaltMan1

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently and for taking the time to complete feedback on TripAdvisor.

Your comments regarding your stay with us are most appreciated. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the room that you were in to be very clean and quite spacious. It was also great to read that you enjoyed Chapman’s Restaurant and that the team who looked after you were “outstanding”.

I was sorry to read that the pool noise caused a nuisance during your stay; our pool is open from 6.30am to 10.30pm daily, it is a balance getting the right opening hours vs. creating a disturbance to our guests, I’m sorry this impacted on your stay.

It is most satisfying receiving positive feedback such as your own. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for a night when visiting Rotorua & Taupo. The hotel has a average location, very good rooms and fantastic beds for a very good sleep. Check-in was efficient and with great smile from Samuel. Room service was prompt too. The breakfast was not that great experience as our order took around 15 mins to come which was 2 Omellete's on toast, but the toast were missing. Billing took around 15 mins as appropriate discounts were not applied. The service was great.

Room Tip: choose a room facing towards the village, quiet and have a good view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SanjuRana

On your comment regarding our location being average; we actually see our location as being a benefit, we are away from the hustle and bustle of the central city area, but only 5 minutes by car or our complimentary hotel shuttle. I was really pleased to read that you found the rooms to be very good with fantastic beds.

I was sorry to read that you found the breakfast to be not a great experience, 15 minutes for 2 omelettes would sit within our service expectations, given we are also preparing breakfast at the same time for all other guests, however the 15 minute wait for your bill is not good and I apologise that this impacted on your experience at Holiday Inn Rotorua. I also note, on a positive, that the service our team offered was great and appreciate this feedback as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights and had an exceptionally good experience. My room was quaint, it had its own balcony overlooking Whakarewarewa which was a very nice feature. The room was modern, very clean and fresh, and the bed was extremely comfortable - I liked the pillow selection (hard, medium and soft). They also have an outdoor heated pool as well as a thermal spa - both very cool.

We dined at Cchapman's restaurant and the food was amazing - to die for! The buffet spread had pretty much every thing you could imagine from roasts, to vegetarian to seafood. The breakfast buffet is also great - they have a juicer with a range of fruits as well as a variety of different drinks (chocolate milk even).

Unfortunately I can't comment on the costs but I would still say it's great value. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, the staff were very helpful and welcoming (except for one grumpy lady ushering people into the dining area).

Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Arihia M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. It is good to know you appreciated the view from your room and enjoyed our pool and spa facilities. I am pleased you had an exceptionally good experience with us, and enjoyed the comfy bed and amazing food. Thank you for mentioning our helpful and welcoming staff. We are pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here, and look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you come to town.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Holiday Inn Rotorua is quite an interesting experience. The hotel is new and it shows because it seems as if all the very nice people who worked there were still learning to work together. It is not that they don't know what they're doing is just that everything that they need to do takes forever. For example, it took us so long to get a bellhop to help us with our luggage that they offered us free drinks. That was a very nice gesture on behalf of the front desk. When I attempted to use the tickets for free drink the wait seemed even longer. All I wanted to do was order a beer, however the two people behind the bar could not figure out how to ring up Taylor Fladgate Port the person ahead of me ordered. I do not know why it took two people ten minutes to ring up a drink.

That all said the people were very nice. However I have to relate this other incident. My friend went down to have breakfast at 5:45 AM. Apparently the breakfast area was closed however no one would know that it was actually closed. When the staff saw my friend in the breakfast area drinking a coffee they made her go to the front desk where they informed the front desk that my friend was in the restaurant before opening. That in and of itself is not the most bizarre thing that happened. The manager interrogated my friend as to why she was in the restaurant before opening. The manager asked my friend if she saw the sign stating the restaurant was closed. Now mind you the restaurant looked open and all of the buffet items we're set.

My friend replied that there was no sign. At this the manager asked the restaurant staff if there was a sign. The response, and this is unbelievable, was "yes there is a sign, but it is in Chinese". It was as if my friend had broken some major rule and was about to get caned when it turned out that by virtue of the fact the sign was in Chinese and not English she was let off the hook.

So, after all this why three stars and not fewer? Because while slow, the staff was amazingly friendly and the rooms clean and bright. Plus, they are very accommodating to cyclists.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KathylynneS

Dear KathylynneS,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you found our staff to be amazingly friendly, though disappointed at the slow and unusual service you received. It is good to know that efforts are made to maintain order and process transactions accurately. However, in the instances you described, clearly the situation could have been handled differently, without the negative impact and unnecessary angst you experienced. I apologise that we didn’t get this right for you and thank you for your feedback; all correspondence assists us in working towards improving our products and services. I look forward to reviewing your comments with our Team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We got upgraded on arrival to an exec room which was nice and the room was very pleasant and comfortable , again with 2 double beds...
The Internet was the standard NZ arrangement with paid for service but at least there was a 30 minute or 30 MB free offer.
This just about gave me time to down load a few emails and check the footie scores back home. It had a swim pool which was tiny and an ok gym too

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sbz100,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua. We appreciate you taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We spent three nights, upon arrival we were greeted by Sam, charming and personable, gave us a room with a pleasant view. To add to this pleasant experience, Alex, the courtesy bus driver was an absolute delight, amiable and affable, she couldn't do enough for us, we really began to get into the holiday mood, thanks to these two staff members.

We did experience a slight mishap, the beds were far too soft and my partner's single bed had seen better days, during the first night he slid off and hit his head on the night table. The manager responded, 'quick smart' when we complained the next day. We were immediately offered a different room, but re packing was a hassle, so we just shared the larger bed and were offered complimentary buffet breakfasts for the next two days.

Outdoor parking is secure, didn't need the car, the courtesy bus runs every hour and lets you off in the town centre where everything is available. Buy your booze at the 'Coundown' (Woolies) supermarket, damn good bargains. Thursday markets are good value, the food stalls offer a good variety, you can take it back to your room and save some bucks, I went downstairs and asked for plates and cutlery, not a problem.

Room Tip: Request a firm bed if you don't want to wake up with back ache.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank philwarner2016
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear QuechanAustralia,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. It is great to read that you were well looked after by our friendly staff, and that they helped to put you into the holiday mood. I am disappointed that our beds were too soft for you; that must have been most frustrating for you. The bed is relatively new, having been installed shortly before our rebranding as a Holiday Inn in March 2011. Our Facilities Manager inspected the bed to see whether any fault was apparent, and was unable to find one. Possibly the mattress may not have been flush with the base of the bed (?). I am at a loss to provide any other explanation, and I am pleased you still enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Holiday Inn Rotorua is great. We had a room in the upper levels of the hotel, and we had a view on the geiser, which was quite unique.

The room was quite big, and very clean. The bathroom was nice and have everything we wanted. But the best feature of the room was the bed. It felt enormous, and was very very good. If I wanted a new bed at home I would definitely pick this one!

Oh wait, the bed was not the best feature really... The very best part of the hotel was the pool, which was warmed with the warm water springs. That was such a pleasant surprise!

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has a view on the thermal park, you will see the geiser!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wildelinda
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear wildelinda,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed the fantastic view from your room, and were able to relax in our thermally heated pool. We receive an abundance of positive feedback about our beds and pillows and it’s good to know you enjoyed them too. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.