“Great Historical Experience”

$100.85*
Tribal Footprints Tour
$134.47*
and up
Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua Geothermal Geyser Tour and Agrodome Combo...
Ranked #18 of 112 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience New Zealand's most visited archaeological site where stories of the 1886 Mt Tarawera Eruption come to life! Violent and unexpected, the volcanic eruption was one of New Zealand's greatest natural disasters burying the peaceful village of Te Wairoa and ending more than 150 lives. Today at the Buried Village encounter the world class Museum of Te Wairoa, explore the Archaeological Site which once housed the people of Te Wairoa, experience the unique insights of stories from our tour guides, and take the Waterfall Trail which showcases the stunning Wairere Falls.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Historical Experience”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Great museum and archeological site. We walked around on our own...there is more than enough information on signs to self-guide. Beautiful grounds, and the story is fascinating. The kids enjoyed the treasure hunt, and seeing trout on the stream. We did the waterfall walk too...well worth the effort! Beautiful. Thoroughly enjoyed the Buried Billage.

Visited April 2014
Pam M, Public Relations Manager at Buried Village of Te Wairoa, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thanks for the five star review. Yes the Museum of Te Wairoa and Archaeological Site are great to explore on your own. There are in depth information boards which are easy to read and a guide map to help you discover the village as well as the Treasure Hunt to keep the kids entertained . We are glad you got to see the wild rainbow trout. Agreed the Wairere Falls is a beautiful aspect of the Buried Village to finish the trip off! Please do come back.

• Polish first
  • Thai first
New Zealand
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“another good visit”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

first time with our son and enjoyed our time here. Very friendly staff. Will definitely return. Got our tickets through bookme.com which if we booked an early time was cheaper than buying at ticket office

Visited April 2014
Thank you for the five star review it is always a pleasure.Yes bookme has good deals which we like to provide to the public. I will pass this onto the staff, they will be pleased! Look forward to having you back in the future.
Toronto, Canada
“Charming Historical Attraction”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I arrived at this place not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised at the extensive museum and friendly, knowledgeable hosts and guide at this charming museum. Our guide Lyn was a wealth of knowledge as she lives in the area of Te Wairoa. There was much more Maori knowledge than I had expected and I was glad for it as some of the other tourist attractions we visited promised rich Maori cultural history and sadly failed to deliver (*cough*GlowWormCaves*cough*). The museum is on a beautiful property which you can explore after getting your fill of the museum either on your own or on a guided tour. There is also a beautiful waterfall on the property on one of the short hikes that leads you to the Tea Room. I really enjoyed my time at the Buried Village. I encourage you to go and uncover the mystery of the beautiful white and pink terraces as well and help remember those who lost their lives in the great eruption. I believe we were there for a good 4 hours but I like to read practically everything in the museums so that could vary!

Visited March 2014
Wow thanks for the five star review. It is great to have people who take in and understand the special history of Te Wairoa. We pride ourselves on having extensive Maori knowledge of Te Wairoa and the surrounding areas and glad we can share such stories with you. I shall pass this information onto Lyn she will be pleased.
Yes the museum of Te Wairoa provides great exhibits of before, during, and after the 1886 Mount Tarawera Eruption. The Wairere Falls in such a treasure and glad you got to experience this. Thank you for visiting; please come back and visit.
Valparaiso, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great tour guide!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Beautiful location, lots of history and great guide named Lyn. She provided lots of historical facts about the site, the peolpe living in the area during the time of the geological event, and the Maori people.

Visited March 2014
Thank you for such a positive review. I shall pass this information on to Lyn.. she will be pleased. Guided Tours are a great way to explore the village by giving you in depth history of Te Wairoa whether it be before,during or after the eruption.
Church Gresley, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Absolutely Stunning !!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I booked for the Buried Village at the iSite in town. I was picked up from my hotel by a very friendly Maori lady driver who gave me an insight into the village which was a good start. I was given a map and an iPlayer and started my own personal tour. I got back 3 hours later... absolutely fascinating ! I don't know why people race through the village at a rate of knots, there is so much to see, to read and to take in. The village is very well laid out, informative and thought provoking. The waterfall route (not for the feint hearted) is well worth the climb, but do sit a while and take it all in. An added bonus of a cafe at the end, a lovely English tea and large slice of Afghan cake ended the visit in fine style. Time for a chat with the staff at the desk at the end gave me a further insight into the village and its surroundings while waiting for my lift back. The Buried Village is a MUST see !!!

Visited February 2014
Thank you for the five star review. We appreciate visitors who really take in what happened here on the tragic night June 10th 1886. Yes there is a great deal information that provides history. The iPod tour is a great way for a self-tour of the village and gives good insights of significant stories. Agreed the Wairere Falls brings such serenity and what a great way to end with refreshments at Vi's Teahouse. Thanks for the great photos.