“Worthy of its good reputation”

Tamaki Maori Village
and up
2-Day Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton Movie Set and Rotorua Tour from Auckland
Ranked #1 of 113 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Tamaki Maori Village – Evening Cultural Experience. New Zealand’s Most Awarded Cultural Experience! Experience an evening of ceremonial ritual, powerful cultural performance, storytelling & hangi feasting. Share in the Powhiri, our ancient ceremony of welcome before entering our pre-European Maori Village nestled within a native Tawa Forest. The village comes alive with sights, sounds & activity of days gone by including haka, poi, tattooing, weaving, carving and arts of warrior training. You will have the opportunity to participate in these activities. Witness the earth being scraped away from the hangi pit to reveal baskets of food cooked beneath the ground on hot stones. Enter the ancestral meeting house and enjoy a powerful cultural performance before dining the traditional hangi buffet feast!
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I went with some friends from Canada who were here and had suggested the evening at Tamaki Maori Village based on its reputation rather than from past experience. I am pleased to report that the evening was thoroughly deserving of its great reputation and far and away one of the best slices of pre-European Maori life I've ever seen. Being outside really lends to the authenticity of the experience and even though we were there in mid winter the organisers have thought about this and each area you visit is warmed by a fire. Do take on board their advice though and dress warmly with sensible shoes. From the traditional Maori welcome to the displays on their original way of life, from the concert to the meal, the whole evening was very enjoyable and laced with humour. The bus ride to and from Rotorua could have been interminable but our bus driver brilliantly engaged a busload of complete strangers which really added to the evening. A far superior experience to the sanitised hangis offered by a number of the major hotels and well worth going.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,728)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our international guests just loved the experience and we did too.
On arrival we were given a 'Maori Welcome' before entering and then enjoyed walking around the mock up of an early Maori village with people carrying out every day 'village' activities as they would have done pre European times. Then the concert with the familiar Maori songs and Haka. Our visitors really enjoyed seeing the traditional dress and performing group. The finale was the 'Hangi' which although basic was traditional and enjoyable. Good value and an really enjoyable evening.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Every part of our night was amazing!! We had gone to rotorua especially for Tamaki Maori village and it was well worth the trip. We were submerged in culture that exceeded our expectations. Thank you for the life long memories

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The whole experience is quite educational and at the same time entertaining and enjoyable.

The experience started when Kahu picked us up from our Motel. Kahu did not waste time to introduce the Maori culture while we are in the bus (who he calls a Waka). He taught us about Maori greetings and words and most importantly the Maori Protocols that we need to follow when we get to the Village.

When we get to the Village and after the welcoming protocols, we were shown in groups the different aspects of Maori cultures like, Maori War Dance (Haka), weaving, poi, warrior training, etc. The Maori performance was excellent.
The food was tasty and abundant.
Going back to the motel, we were so impressed that Kahu managed to memorise all our names and nationalities. He made sure that our trip back to the hotel was memorable by getting each nationalities to sing a song and if someone is not up to it, he will start singing a song of the country to get everyone to follow. Knowing that there are children in the bus, he also started singing children's song for everyone to enjoy.

Well done Tamaki Maori Village

Reviewed August 31, 2013

IMO, you can't go to Rotorua without getting a glimpse of Maori Culture. We really enjoyed. I will also give a recommendation to learn from one of our mistakes:

1.) You take a bus to get there from Rotorua - our bus driver made it fun
2.) For us, it was NOT a twilight tour. We went in June. It was pitch dark the entire time. People who go at other times of year might have a different experience.
3.) Because it was dark, we really felt like it was authentic (even though Maori don't really live like this today). The darkness and isolation made us feel transported back in time.
4.) Very participatory - my family did several separate activities - and were encouraged to join in. This made us feel as if we were part of it.
5.) The Maori really take pride in the old way of life and their enactment of it. My kids got much more out of it than a museum.
6.) The food was excellent - nothing processed - all fresh - and a lot of it

This is a can't miss experience. So, you may ask, why didn't I give it the "top rating". Well... came close. If I could give a 4.5, I would. Partly the price - I'd do it again - don't get me wrong - you do get decent value for it. The other was mainly my fault, yet I do wish they'd given us a hint of what I write next. My family got separated at the start. There are 3 entrances then you converge on a central area. There were so many people that my wife and son got separated from my and my daughter and we couldn't rejoin (without missing a lot) until about 45 minutes into it (because of the different activities and having no clue where each other were). I'd encourage you to stick closely together as a family or group.

Having said all this, if you can avoid my early challenge, you could easily have a flawless night and a fun experience. We even did get to talk to a couple of the performers at the end. A class act.