“Highlight of our NZ holiday”

Tamaki Maori Village
Ranked #2 of 67 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Tamaki Maori Village – Evening Cultural Experience. New Zealand’s Most Awarded Cultural Experience! Experience an evening of ceremonial ritual, powerful cultural performance, storytelling & hangi feasting. Share in the Powhiri, our ancient ceremony of welcome before entering our pre-European Maori Village nestled within a native Tawa Forest. The village comes alive with sights, sounds & activity of days gone by including haka, poi, tattooing, weaving, carving and arts of warrior training. You will have the opportunity to participate in these activities. Witness the earth being scraped away from the hangi pit to reveal baskets of food cooked beneath the ground on hot stones. Enter the ancestral meeting house and enjoy a powerful cultural performance before dining the traditional hangi buffet feast!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I spent just over a week in NZ in May last year, with my mum and 18yr old brother, and this was definitely an experience we all enjoyed and recommend. We arrived in Rotorua later than planned and I had resigned myself to the fact that we may have to miss out (as we only had one night in Rotorua) but after a quick phone call by our hotel it turned out a bus was still in the area and could pick us up in 5 mins--which it did! The whole experience overall was fun, informative, and food was delicious.

When walking through the area and learning about certain aspects of Maori culture you may realize that, yes, some of it is scripted but considering that this is probably a onetime only experience for many people it seems they do their best to give everyone at least an equally enjoyable time so no one misses out. We talked casually to a few of them and they were all happy to chat a bit further and answer your questions, and seemed down-to-earth. Offhand we also mentioned to one woman that it was my mum's birthday that day, and evidently it was passed on since later that night one of the performances was dedicated to my mum--so that was a really nice touch!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,439)
All reviews
"welcoming ceremony"
in 77 reviews
"lamb"
in 128 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 47 reviews
in 52 reviews
"food was amazing"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Although our trip to NZ was primarily for Hobbiton and LOTR in Wellington, I'm so glad we visited the Tamaki Maori Village. What a great bunch of people. They were so welcoming, gracious, courteous, proud, humble, funny, frightening and friendly. They open their fortress home and welcome you in, teach you about their heritage in a very hands on way, entertain you and then they feed you a mighty meal. What a great night out! Special mention for our bus driver (oh yes, they collect you from your hotel, too) Dennis the Menace who was a hoot! Had everyone singing along on the way home.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a must see when in Rotorua! The fun starts from when you get on the bus until the very end when you're returned to your resort. I am a teenager who went with my family and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have always been interested in the Maori culture and this experience certainly allowed me to gain knowledge from the first hand exposure to the village as a whole. I was provided with friendly, professional and talented hosts who held a great night which was topped of with tasty authentic food. Something for everybody no matter what the age or size of the group. I met new people and had a great time, dont be afraid to volunteer, I participated!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

What a night!
For the price it was wonderful and if you book at the information centre you get a free carved pendant when booking.
The night started with a bus ride, the funniest one i've been on, he told us a lot about whats going to happen and the history and then made us sing and laugh.
We learnt lots as we walked through the village and got to participate in lots of games and dances. Watching the Maori performance was beautiful, got to see different dances and the Maori people are very good at what they do with beautiful voices.

Food is included, huge buffet (Hangi) and dessert - very delicious!!

One of the best nights we had in NZ..not only for overseas travelers but many from Auckland or south NZ too.