“Tamaki Heritage Park”

and up
2-Day Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton Movie Set and Rotorua Tour from Auckland
Ranked #1 of 113 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Tamaki Maori Village – Evening Cultural Experience. New Zealand’s Most Awarded Cultural Experience! Experience an evening of ceremonial ritual, powerful cultural performance, storytelling & hangi feasting. Share in the Powhiri, our ancient ceremony of welcome before entering our pre-European Maori Village nestled within a native Tawa Forest. The village comes alive with sights, sounds & activity of days gone by including haka, poi, tattooing, weaving, carving and arts of warrior training. You will have the opportunity to participate in these activities. Witness the earth being scraped away from the hangi pit to reveal baskets of food cooked beneath the ground on hot stones. Enter the ancestral meeting house and enjoy a powerful cultural performance before dining the traditional hangi buffet feast!
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Absolutely fantastic attraction, everything was well planned, staff great, meal fantastic, this gives you a real insight on the way that the Maoris fought for their rights, their families etc.
This is a MUST SEE and DO, in Rotorua, no matter what.

Keep up the good work.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,728)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The welcome ceremony before entering the village was impressive. Once inside there were five stations set up in the forest and guests moved from one to another to learn about the Maori customs: war dances, games, carving, agility skill building. This was my favorite part of the evening. We then entered the meeting house where we watched a cultural performance of songs, stick games, and dances. A buffet dinner followed. The official closing consisted of songs and speeches. An interesting evening.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was brilliant from the time the driver picked us up at the hotel till we circled a roundabout (traffic circle) singing 'she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes. . .' on the way back. We learnt a lot about Maori culture and the Welcoming Ceremony was very well performed. This was a full evening of varied entertainment and a buffet meal. Highly recommended - a great experience!

1  Thank LeeF62
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This review is purely about the safety of the transport between the main office of this company and the Tamaki village where the entertainment takes place.

On the way to the venue, the coach driver chose a "chief" to represent the coach during the evening. Once chosen, the person was encouraged to sit on the dashboard next to the driver, facing the other passengers for part of the journey.

On the return journey the same thing happened, while the driver was trying to force / encourage the passengers to join in the singing of songs including "wheels on the bus".

At one point she took both hands off the steering wheel to clap her hands.

At one roundabout, she went round three and a half times.

After we got off the coach it drove off without any rear lights showing.

Is this behaviour company policy?
It was dangerous.

7  Thank Amby_no1
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I am a Rotorua local and for the first time I visited Tamaki Maori Village last night. I must say I had the best time! The team our there were amazing and interacted so well with everyone. The meal was amazing and the songs were just beautiful.
I can't believe I have lived here my whole life and have only just gone to Tamaki now!
I will be telling everyone I know to go to Tamaki!!