“culture experience”

and up
2-Day Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton Movie Set and Rotorua Tour from Auckland
Ranked #2 of 113 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Tamaki Maori Village – Evening Cultural Experience. New Zealand’s Most Awarded Cultural Experience! Experience an evening of ceremonial ritual, powerful cultural performance, storytelling & hangi feasting. Share in the Powhiri, our ancient ceremony of welcome before entering our pre-European Maori Village nestled within a native Tawa Forest. The village comes alive with sights, sounds & activity of days gone by including haka, poi, tattooing, weaving, carving and arts of warrior training. You will have the opportunity to participate in these activities. Witness the earth being scraped away from the hangi pit to reveal baskets of food cooked beneath the ground on hot stones. Enter the ancestral meeting house and enjoy a powerful cultural performance before dining the traditional hangi buffet feast!
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Ok, yes this is touristy, but it is the only way you will have a cultural experience, so its totally worth it. Sometimes its the only way. I thought that the whole thing was set up very well, it is family run and intending to keep the culture alive, which it does. The entertainers were amazing, the location and scene was amazing, and the food incredible! Best Lamb i ever had! I left so full it hurt! Very satisfied with the whole experience, its also reasonably priced.

1  Thank samani555

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Came out to Tamaki with my otherhalf last week, as she is Welsh and wanted to exprience the Maori Culture. In Rotorua there are a ton of options with a massive price range, but my motto has always been if you want the best, you should be prepared to pay something for it. I asked at the local information centre who put a number of options in front of me. But i went with Tamaki Maori Village - not the most expensive, but from what I was told it was the "fun interactive one"...which seemed more interesting than spending a couple of hours sitting. It kicked off well, the bus driver was awesome, funny, and informative, had the whole bus laughing along the way. But it was the village that blew me away. As a Kiwi I think i have seen alot of what Maori culture has to offer - this had the WOW factor. The performers actually encouraged you to talk to them, get hands on, try the activity, which was awesome. The power packed concert performance was great and not too long before we launched in to the an amazing hangi meal. Overall i would say that everyone should try this out. I know there is alot of options in Rotorua, but this one was hands on, fun, great informative entertainment, and keeps everyone of every denomination and age range entertained. Well done Kahu the bus driver ... he even managed to get a laugh out of my Welsh other half!!

Reviewed November 10, 2012

First, you have to know this is a set up totally for tourist. Although they impart a number of traditions and demonstrate many things their ancestors did, it is still touristy. Having said that, we had a fantastic and fun time. The demonstrators try to involve as many people as possible in the activities which provides lots of fun and laughs. The show put on by the Maori was very good and enjoyed by all. The buffet was delicious from the salads, through the meats to the desserts. The music provided was wonderful with lots of singing and some dancing - did not go on long enough. Then there was the singing on the bus on the way back to the hotel. We all had smiles on our faces. Great evening.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was simply awesome and I got to learn much about Maori culture. I learned about how they fight and trained as well as tattoos..the dinner was truly extraordinary !

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Wow! Just loved our time at the village. We learnt so much about Maori culture and food. The demonstrations are interactive and we had fun learning the Haka and other games. The singing presentation was lovely as were all the people who work there. To see the food being cooked and taste it was a real treat. A real treat - highly recommended.