“Good insight into culture”

Tamaki Maori Village
Book In Advance
More Info
$84.81*
and up
Rotorua Maori Hangi Dinner and Performance
Ranked #3 of 108 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Tamaki Maori Village – Evening Cultural Experience. New Zealand’s Most Awarded Cultural Experience! Experience an evening of ceremonial ritual, powerful cultural performance, storytelling & hangi feasting. Share in the Powhiri, our ancient ceremony of welcome before entering our pre-European Maori Village nestled within a native Tawa Forest. The village comes alive with sights, sounds & activity of days gone by including haka, poi, tattooing, weaving, carving and arts of warrior training. You will have the opportunity to participate in these activities. Witness the earth being scraped away from the hangi pit to reveal baskets of food cooked beneath the ground on hot stones. Enter the ancestral meeting house and enjoy a powerful cultural performance before dining the traditional hangi buffet feast!
Brisbane
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good insight into culture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Being part maori and having never visited NZ my mum and i had a good time at the tamaki tour in rotorua. The food was great however i felt a bit rushed when walking around looking at the different activities that were going on. I didnt actually get to see them all. It was a one off experience and it is well worth going. but it isnt something you would do more than once.

• Arabic first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing must-do experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

This evening visit to the maori villiage was one of the highlights of our time in New Zealand - and I'd recommend that anyone who gets the chance to go does so! From the moment you get on the bus everyone is welcoming and clearly has a passion for their heritage and want to share it with you. The whole evening was entertaining and we learnt so much about the maori culture. On top of that the dinner (te hangi) was AMAZING - usually in big group tours the food is average at best but I wanted to book to go again the next night 'cos it was so delicious. Best food I had the whole 2 weeks we spent in NZ!

Songs were sung, there's a real atmosphere of camraderie and we didn;t want the night to end. Honestly I have nothing bad to say about this. Check it out!

Alice Springs, Australia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Maori Magic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

A strong, proud ceremonial welcome, followed by singing, dancing, sports and a hangi. An entertaining and informative show.

Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Hi All

Guys, do it only if you have time and money. There're better and cheaper villages to visit. We missed the bus tour because we drove there ourselves. So I can't say anything about the bus transport. We didn't manage to see everything in the village as the performers rushed us inside. The performance itself was about 20-25mins. It wasn't really traditional. They played the guitar which can be hardly regarded a Maori musical instrument. The rest of the evening was about the hangi meal. Again, there was a choice of pasta which comes from Italy, doesn't it?! I think that it's too commerical, over-priced and over-rated. You're better off visiting Te Papa, Rotorua museum or another Maori village.

Otherwise, N.Zealand's definitely one of the most beautiful places in the world.

1 Thank Jara C
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fabulous hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

I was on a holiday trip at Tamaki Maori Village with my family and lucky enough to have Aroha as my tour guild. She is one of the tour guild I've ever had. She is friendly and extremely entertaining. She have an ability to translate the Maori culture to tourist without any culture barrier. She brought the whole bus of tourist together as one even though we are all from different countries. I truly enjoy the trip and will never forget about this vacation.

Visited December 2010