“The hotel is nice, BUT”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Ranked #46 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed August 15, 2010

There are a lot of buts here: We got a room with a sattelite dish about 1 meter from out window. We had to argue with them to switch it ti a different room (which eventually they did). One of the reasons we chose this hotel was that it had a gym. Well, guess what? since it was so full when we were there (due to a convention), they closed the gym, without bothering to notice us ahead of time. They used the gym's space for the convention. Also, the hotel is far from the center of town, about 20 minutes walk.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2010

Dear Michal,

Thank you for your comments and I apologise for any negative aspects of your stay. With regards to our location, I understand your sentiments - however we do not hide our great location next to Rotorua Racecourse and in being only 1km from the CBD. Most guests are happy with the leisurely walk to town - or indeed make use of their own vehicles to see the sites and attractions of Rotorua - most of which are well away from the CBD.

I appreciate your comments re our Fitness Room - and yes indeed their was a one off private use for this room for 3 days that happens extremely rarely - in fact only once in the last 3 years has this occurred.

I thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your stay at Rydges Rotorua.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Rotorua

Reviewed August 13, 2010

On the up side - excellent and plentiful parking, (you need a car to stay at this location as it's on the outskirts of town), spacious interiors and large guest rooms. Our room which had a balcony was on the second floor and overlooked the racecourse. It was quiet and pleasant.

On the downside - the place had design problems and needed an extensive interior refurbishment. We needed to have lights on in our room during the day because a separate spa bathroom which we never used had been built where there should have been windows. The main bathroom also needed a complete update.

The breakfast was plentiful but fairly basic and served in the restaurant which had a clear glass ceiling. This needed a good clean but unfortunately the design would have made this difficult. The bar was hidden away up a flight of stairs and probably not patronised enough because you couldn't see it.

The staff although a little thin on the ground, saved this place. We had been travelling all day and when we arrived we asked if we could buy a snack. A staff member came out of the kitchen with a lovely small basket of fruit for which they would not accept payment - a really nice gesture.

We visited the gym one morning only to find drink cans and wet towels from the previous evening lying on the floor - sad.

The cultural show was staged by some very talented maoris. The buffet however was very, very ordinary and I'd probably suggest going to one of the more commercial places just out of town for a genuine hangi.

Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay and the room price represented good value.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2010

Dear Traveller from Canberra,

Many thanks for your constructive comments regarding your recent stay with us at Rydges Rotorua. I really do appreciate that you took the time to post your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I will certainly take your comments on board.

I will add that with regards to the brightness of the room I am happy to advise that we are half way thru re-painting all of our Deluxe Spa rooms in a much brighter tone as a result of some comments, like yours, relating to the impression of brightness in our Deluxe rooms - which do currently have a darker colour scheme.

We hope to have the painting work completed by September and I have already received positive comments from some of our regular guests regarding the new look and feel of these rooms - which is most pleasing.

Again, I thank you sincerely for your comments.

Rydges Rotorua.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

My stay at this hotel was fine up until check out. We had booked the room as priority guest members but have since let this means jack. Our room was not cheaper and the duty manager would not listen to us in regards to the question as to why this was so. He was rude and interruptive and I came away from the hotel wanting to scream.
Never, never never would I stay at this hotel again. And I am disgusted that they push this priority guest membership at everyone but dont honour it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HamiltonLal

Dear HamiltonLal,

Many thanks for your comments - I understand your thoughts and I hope the fact that Hotel Mngt contacted you after your stay went some way to answering the points you mentioned. I am only sorry that we could not deal with this effectively at the time and will certainly discuss this with the Front Office Team. I do hope that we make amends for any misgivings in the future.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed for one night at the Rydges. We had a ground floor room which was very large but not that well furnished. There was plenty of room for a small table, but none. The heater seemed to not turn off which after awhile got very hot and as the door to the outside was not able to be opened (was fixed shut) you could not even get out into the cool air to cool off. I ended up trying to cool myself with a cold face cloth and the tiny bit of cool air I could get from the windows that only opened about 10cm. So the only access to the room was down a very long corridor. Not that reasurring in the case of a fire. the room itself was old and the lighting shocking.

We had stayed here before and had a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor and it was great, so i would recommend to anyone it you are to stay there dont get a grould floor room and you will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

Dear KBEE70,

Many thanks for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts on the ground floor rooms - it is unfortunate that not all our rooms can be up high with nice views and a balcony.

I thank you for again staying at Rydges Rotorua and hope we get to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

Lovely hotel in the volcanic setting of sulphur city, rotorua. You are about 3 hours drive from Auckland, an hour or is from taupo and some five or six from windy Wellington

the hotel has all the modcons you would expect and is superb value.

GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Dear Marcus,

Thanks for your post - and for your location tips - LOL. Happy to read you enjoyed your stay. I see Scotland is home for you, but I hope you get the chance to visit NZ again one day and also stay with us at Rydges Rotorua.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

stayed 2 nights, 6&7 July. was in a SPA room, with 2 QB was lovely, good heating, and comfortable beds. Breakfast was included in our package, and was nice,although im not too sure about the bacon
the pool was gorgeous,
My only gripe was the fridge, i did leave a feedback form, in the room
the fridge wouldnt cool much, the door would only stay shut if u propped something against it, i didnt know this, and the ice blocs i got for my kids all melted and wouldnt re freeze
but its only a gripe, and hopefully its been repaired

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Dear Aussie JoJo,

Thanks for your comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We did indeed look at the fridge as you mentioned and it has been replaced since your stay. I apologise that this was not rectified sooner.

I hope we get to accommodate you again one day and thank you for staying with Rydges on your recent trip.

Reviewed July 10, 2010

We spent 2 nights at Rydges Rotorua as a treat for the School Holidays.
The price was right.

Check in staff were pleasant, although we were told when checking in at 2pm that the room had been cleaned, but someone would have to bring us some towels later? . There were a couple of towels in the room, but not enough for a family of 4 and later didn't happen, so we decided to take some extra towels from the pool area. Nothing Major.

The rooms are fantastically large and perfect space for a family. They still look in great shape. The beds comfy.
The pool is lovely.

The heater was unable to be turned off during the night, (as we were roasting) so we called reception and someone promptly came to assist, and the heater was fixed the next morning.

Well, our experience at the Atrium Restaurant for dinner was truly an experience
The service was appalling and the staff looked stressed out. They didnt appear to be coping with a half full restaurant. We had a long wait just for a menu because we were told their wasnt enough to go round. My son was served a cold uncooked piece of fish which was eventually replaced by something else (it was a free meal, as kids dine free). Such a shame that the service was bad because when I finally got my meal it was quite nice and OK price.
We weren't alone, another table got up and walked out . Something had gone terribly wrong for them that night..

However the next morning we had breakfast in the Atrium Restaurant as part of our package and it was very nice, 1st class.
Will stay again, as it is nice accommodation but will consider dining elsewhere .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank wishingwoman

Dear WishingWoman,

Thank you for your informative feedback, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. It was pleasing to read your positive comments, especially regarding our suitability for families, the size of our rooms (yes they are the largest in Rotorua) and the quality of the breakfast.

I also take on board your comments regarding the negative experience you had over Dinner. I am aware of the reasons for the breakdown in service that night, and these have been rectified. However I do apologise for the negative impact that would have had on your otherwise enjoyable stay.

I do hope we get to look after you again in the future, and thank you again for the review you have posted.