“NO AIRCON”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #50 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We book online and when we arrived we found out that there was no aircon in our room. We call reception to ask for room with 1 but there wasnt any rooms in the hotel with aircon, so we call our online mob to cancel and re book us into another place. They called the rydges and they said they could move us to a room with aircon, after we had already asked. Also we had painters on our balcony, which we were not informed off. We check out.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Narsink,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We have a limited number of rooms with aircon within the hotel with the aim to increase this in the future. My understanding is at the time when you contacted us initially an alternative room was not available, through various changes one did become available that the team were able to move you to.
I would like to appologise for the disruption caused by the painters we are a week away from completing the painting of the exterior of the building. If you are looking to return to Rotorua I would welcome the opportunity to personally assist with your booking. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com,

James Billing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Firstly, it took my best friend and I at least 30 minutes to walk to rydges hotel from the main central area where we got off the bus, carrying our luggage! The location is not close at all! This hotel looks better in the pictures and the rooms were big though, but bathroom wasn't very nice and there wasn't air conditioning. There were only 4 tv channels to watch and it didn't feel quite clean.
It was liveable however just not what I was expecting!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear MchelleP,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I would appreciate it if you could contact me so I can follow up with your room further as we have up to 36 seperate TV channels available within the hotel. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed February 24, 2014

have been to the Ridges twice now, and can honestly say that the accommodations are great, service is friendly, and really it represents great value. The Cultural Show is fantastic, my in-laws loved it, as they are from Australia and really got a good taste of NZ from it......

Nothing is too much trouble......as a frequent stayer in hotels, it is nice to get all of the ingredients right.....

A spruce up in the Restaurant might be the one thing I would suggest.....needs a bit more atmosphere.........but overall a great experience that met my expectations..

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk, they are very accommodating.......
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Simon H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. We are very proud of our Maori cultural group and I am glad that your parents in law were able to enjoy their performance whilst staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I was really let down by the quality overall. The room was nothing like the internet photos and While there a chair broke and someone glued it back together instead of replacing it. The buffet meal was awful because it was all cold. Not impressed and would not recommend at all!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Cher1001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to investigate your experience further. Please can you contact me on james_billing@rydges.com.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had a great room with a comfy bed and decently sized bath. When we walked onto our floor, I thought there was the smell of a swimming pool - turns out that was on a different floor and the smell was actually bleach.

The cultural night was great with a performance by a local kapahaka group, but the restaurant definitely wasn't up to standard. Two of the waiters had no idea what they were doing. The first didn't listen to our order at all, and the second asked how we would like our chicken cooked "rare, medium or well done" - which didn't exactly make me feel safe from salmonella.

All of the staff were extremely friendly, however.

If you are looking for a nice room with friendly staff, and don't mind the smell of bleach - this hotel would be perfect. Definitely wouldn't stay here if you are intending to eat at the restaurant.

Room Tip: I probably wouldn't eat at the restaurant.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Ash A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate your comments about our spacious rooms and we are proud of our Maori cultural group. I am glad that you were able to enjoy their performance. I have followed up with the team in relation to your dining experience. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and showcase the improvements in our dining experience.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

my husband and I booked a room on the 'Wotif' website for us and our 5 year old daughter. The room was spacious and exactly what we asked for. The Restaurant let everything down. we paid for quality and we got everything but, the entire seafood buffet was not fresh, dry and horrible. The variety offered for kids was extremely poor, fish and chips only. the breakfast buffet was nicer. when I went to check out at 9:30 I waited for 15mins whilst two separate stayers were complaining about there experience. overall for what we paid and what we expected, should have been more too standard.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Whae M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I have followed up with our chef in relation to your dinning experience, if you are able to contact me to advise the date that you were dinning this would allow me to follow up further. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Recently stayed 1 night at Rydges Rotorua and left with mixed feelings. The good - great reception when we arrived, and pleasantly surprised at the large room which had a pleasant view over the racecourse to the Lake. The bad - the strong smell of bleach in the room which did not dissipate until the morning. The ugly - nothing really. Our overall impression is that this hotel largely caters for tour groups, and is located out of the city centre, but within walking distance if the weather is fine. If you are a first time visitor to Rotorua, you will be spending most of your time getting used to the pervasive smell of sulphur, and probably will not want to sleep with your windows open.

Room Tip: 4th floor with a view of the racecourse & lake.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank avidtraveller195

Dear Avidtraveller195,

Thank you for your kind comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.