“Beds to die for!”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #49 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've stayed at the Rydges twice now and enjoyed each stay very much. The rooms were clean, tidy, no offensive smells. All of the facilities worked, including the ceiling fan. The spa and bathroom were well clean. I see comments like the toilets were stained, which is silly. That's just regular wear and tear, and not something that can be scrubbed clean. The rooms are large, and sparse. The beds were AMAZING! They're like sleeping on a marshmellow. Excellent for a good night's sleep. The Mezz bar was also nice for a relaxed drink before dinner. Would happily go back and recommend to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Siobhan L, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Hi Emma M. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for highlighting all of the positive experiences you had. LOL, I love that you felt like you were sleeping on a marshmellow - that's why they call them DREAM Beds I think! Thank you for also noting that our toilets are clean. We do scrub them everyday but, like you say, the natural wear and tear from the sulfur means they have some staining. I'm also very happy to hear you enjoyed the Mezz bar. We're introducing some new ideas to the bar, and the restaurant, so I very much hope you come back again soon and let us know what you think of them. :)

Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting the thermal pools.

We had booked a standard room. When we arrived to check-in we were told we had been upgraded to a room with a spa bath.

If you like horse racing, the location of the room (on the level below the reception area) is ok. If you have 2 large suitcases weighing in excess of 20kg as well as pull-along cabin luggage and backpacks, it's not good at all. There is no lift or ramp down to that level.

Th room itself seemed nice enough when we first walked in, but on slightly closer inspection the bath was absolutely filthy with really bedded in grime (and so God only know what festering in the pipes of the water jets) and the tiles were bowing out from the wall in the shower, ready to fall off at any minute, potentially when one (or children!) was actaully in the shower at the time.

Desperate for a bath we went to a local supermarket and bought heavy duty cleaner to try and get the bath to a stage where someone would be cleaner when they got out, than they were when they got in. The fumes of that cleaner made breathing rather uncomfortable, but after 30 minutes or scrubbing and rinsing and scrubbing again, I was finally able to use it. The shower (in another room) was used very briefly, so as to minimise the risk of ceramics falling, shattering and cutting legs and feet to shreds.

The service in the restaurant was average, at best, poor in general. Food was overpriced, poorly served and in my case not even as advertised on the menu.

Oh, and no wifi in the bedrooms. VERY annoying. Most tourists don't travel with laptops these days.

This is not a hotel in the 4 to 5 star range. They have a good location for horse racing and they have most definitely over traded on that plus point, to the detriment of good service; safe, clean rooms and useful little touches like lifts and wifi. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Siobhan L, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Hi Mouses. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in our hotel. I have passed these comments onto management who are addressing each of the things you've outlined and these will be followed up on to ensure your experience is not repeated. With regards to the WIFI in the rooms we are in the process of getting that sorted so hopefully in the next few months that will no longer be an issue.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed two nights in a 'deluxe spa' room. It had good views over the racecourse, very comfortable beds, nice big bathroom. Air conditioning wouldn't have gone astray as our room was quite hot and the fan squeaky. Our neighbours were noisy prompting two calls to reception around midnight, but the Rydges staff promptly dealt with the problem and we were quickly asleep again. Breakfast was good with a wide variety of food available. Overall, I can't complain and I feel we got value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Frances_Mary255106. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with our hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us :) I do however apologise for your noisy neighbours, the heat in your room and your squeaky fan. I hope on your next visit you don't experience any of these! :)

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent a weekend here with my family and friends in Dec 2012. The room was huge and the king sized bed was soft and comfortable. The toilet was stained and the balconey was dusty and full of spider webs. They had a spa bath in a seperate room but this bath had not been cleaned:( Overall - I would not go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Hi kaynaid. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the House Keeping Department who will be looking into this matter - I apologise for the spa bath & balcony being unclean, this is unacceptable. With regards to the toilet, unfortunately, with all the sulfar in the air plus normal wear and tear over the years, it doesn't matter how hard we scrub them they still get stained. We do, however, do our very best to keep this to a minimum.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The beds were comfortable and our double queen room was large. The rest of the Rydges Rotorua left a lot to be desired. There was no air conditioning, horrible fitness room facilities and worn out carpet in the common areas. After traveling through Rotorua, we would recommend one of the quaint and well maintained motels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Hi BrettH88. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you were unimpressed by your experience and have passed your comments on to the relevant Department Managers. We are in the process of replacing & updating our gym facilities so I am hopeful that it will be looking like a modern and impressive gym soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had upgraded to the deluxe suite after reading some of the reviews on here, and were pleased that we had. We had a twin room with spa pool room and balcony over looking the racecourse, which you could also see the lake and the gondolas in the distance. The suite was roomy with plenty of space for two adults and 2 children. The only pitfalls would have been how hot and stuffy it got during the night, even with the windows and a breeze coming through. The air conditioning didn't seem to work, and the fan was a waste of time. We got good use out of the indoor pool and the spa in the room. We had got a package deal which included breakfast, which I loved, but my husband wasn't so keen on, so individual choice whether it would be for you or not. The staff were pleasant, but not like at other accommodations, where they are more friendly and helpful. It seems they are just doing the bear minimum. Overall we enjoyed our stay, and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Hi Cindy5510. Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and your room. I have passed on your comments regarding the air con to our Maintenance Department to look into and have also informed the relevant Department Heads regarding your customer service experience. We never want you to feel like the staff serving you are just doing the bare minimum and I apologise for that. I hope on your next stay with us your experience will be far better than your previous.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was just reading some comments in preparation to write a comment about this hotel and this reviewer (truthfulteaveller 21/12/12) has taken the words out of my mouth as we also stayed at Rydges Auckland and were expecting this hotel to be on par as it is part of the Rydges chain after all. Well what a major disappointment! It is in need of some major renovations that's for sure and I can cut them some slack as I realise major renos means major dollars, however there is absolutely no excuse not to replace a curtain that has a 40cm three corner tear in it. The phone did not work and by the look of it should have been thrown out 30 years ago. It was replaced by the friendly staff member so can't complain about his promptness. They also provide no free Internet....Auckland did and their happy hour is on Friday only whereas Auckland is every night. Come on guys get some consistency happening.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Jennya0701. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have passed your comments on to Management for actioning. I apologise for your phone not working. Unfortunately the sulfar here has a terrible habbit of eating away at the phone lines but we do our very best to keep on top of the problem. With regards to charging for Internet, it is not something we want to do but are locked into a contract. It is something, however, that we are trying to get out of so watch this space.