“Pretty Good”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #46 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We have stayed with Rydges Rotorua 3 times now. 1st time = pretty good, nothing more than i will say in todays review really. 2nd time was very poor, wierd sucking/dripping sounds above our bedroom. We complained and staff didnt seem to care to much, however did manage to move us for the next night. After complaining about poor nights sleep (non at all, it was loud enough to keep us up all night and there were no other rooms avail) we had a reply from managment apolagising and organising to make our stay fantastic next time.
Just over a year on now, we thought we would give them another shot. The Assit Manager was lovely, sorted us out with a room upgrade, free breakfasts and even shouted us a drink at the bar.
Everything was well organised, never had any probs getting the breakfast (a highlight for us, as at a price of $30 odd for cooked breakfast, its not something we can afford generally, so was a VERY nice treat!!) The barman knew who we were and pointed us in the right direction to meet Sally etc. Very well organised
Rooms are large, spa baths are great. Beds and linen as mentioned in some other reviews are a little dated i guess, but wouldnt stop me staying here. Some great prices to be had (sub $100)
Free carparking is great compared to some, and plently of it to be honest.
There was a wedding on the Sat night that booked out the resteraunt (looked like a lovely setup) and the staff told us on checking about it and gave us alternative options for dining - very well organised!

My only down side would be next upgrade, there is def more than enou room to pop 2 queen beds in as the doubles are bit small.
Hot water/Cold water in showers is very fluctuating. This is assumably just during peak times and just when other guests start/stop shower i guess, and one minute its nice temp, few sec later is boiling hot, give it a few more and its cold. Can be quite hard to manage! My advise is to just have a Spa during these peak times!

Only big thing for me i noticed was cleanliness. I do find it in many hotels i stay in, and wish it could be worked on.. its the bathroom vent. Def. not the worst i have seen, however was quite bad in terms of dust (or something :/) blocking up the vents.

Bottom line - Will i stay there again - Yes

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Dear Wigglywormnz,

Thank you for your recent comments you posted on Trip Advisor reflecting on your recent time with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself and I thank you for highlighting certain aspects of your stay.

Our complementary carpark is very popular with many people who stay. Something, as you pointed out, is not common amongst a lot of hotels.

I have asked my maintenance team to investigate the hot water issues you mentioned; even through peak periods this should not affect the supply to any room. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

All of our rooms have two queen size beds in them except for the ones which have one king size bed. Because of the size of the rooms and the amount of space the guest have the beds can be preserved to look smaller than what they are.

With regards to cleanliness, we have recently had a change in our housekeeping management and I can say standards have been lifted a lot and the bathroom vents are one of these ‘attention to detail’ areas which are being monitored a lot more closely.

All of your comments will be passed onto my team and I would like to thank you once again for passing on your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Rotorua

Reviewed August 11, 2011

The room was huge - 2 double beds and heaps of room around them. We were on the 4th floor, the same floor as the heated pool. My children couldn't have asked for anything more.
The staff were friendly and accomodating. A great stay and great value.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Hello Anne500,

Thank you for your recent comment on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time at the hotel during your stay. The pool is very popular with a lot of people and more so with children as was the case with yours.

We do hope we have the opportunity of having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here for like a 2nd honeymoon whilst doing a couple of the activities in Rotorua. We stayed 2 nights in Rm 303 - and thought it was absolutely fantastic! We had a seperate spa bath adjoining to the room and a balcony with a view.
Restaurant - Atrium - food was delicious! We had dinner there and breakfast. Breakfast was a feast! Creamed mushrooms were the best.
But most importantly room facilities - we cant complain about anything. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Dear Lanz01,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. It gives me great pleasure when reading comments such as yours and hearing how people have enjoyed themselves not only at the hotel but in Rotorua itself.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

we stayed for two nights. Lovely large clean room. Reasonable tariffs and close to town. Friendly staff and would definitely recommend to others.

Dear Kathryn_QLD,

I would like to thank you for your nice comments you recently posted on Tripadvisor. I do hope you enjoyed the remainder of your travels around NZ and had a safe trip back to sunny Queensland.

Hopefully one day we will have the opportunity to have you stay with us again at the hotel in Rotorua.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at 3 different Rydges hotels on our trip to NZ and this one ranked at the bottom.
The foyer was nice and modern.
The building seemed to an old hospital which gave it a bit of an eerie feeling. The rooms were huge, almost in a bad way because they looked too empty. There was a spa and a balcony overlooking the racecourse which was a nice feature. However, another reviewer wrote about the linens being very thin, which I agree about. It was almost shocking to see Rydges, a respectable brand, using such cheap linens on the bed.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the racecourse is quite nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Steph1986,

I was disappointed to read your comments on Tripadvisor which you posted recently. You will be pleased to know the hotel has been in the process of purchasing new linen for the beds which is lifting the standard and comfort of our guests sleep.

I must say I was very surprised and lost for words when you commented on our rooms being too big!!! Many people do comment on the size of our rooms; however this is always a positive feature of our guests stay. Many hotels I have stayed in around the world, and I have stayed in a few, the rooms are very cramped and you could not swing a cat in them. Yes it is true you could park a bus in our rooms and have room to walk around it; however we find the space is very popular with all guests and especially those who have families and small children.

As I said above and in the most polite way, I am lost for words and I am just sorry you felt the rooms were too big.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

We have stayed at the Rydges in Christchurch and were very pleased, especially with their special Rydges beds which are extremely comfortable. We therefore chose to stay at the Rydges when visiting Rotorua recently. We had booked a disabled room. We arrived at 3.30pm and the room had not been cleaned yet. We waited half an hour. We had to take the trolley of bags up to our room ourselves. Once in the room we found the shower fitting was broken and was hanging from the grip rail. The grip rail was filthy. (Their comment was they were going to replace the fittings sometime soon.) There were two areas of grubbiness on the tiles above the cistern which wiped off with a cloth. The lounge sheer curtain was torn. We requested assistance and were transferred to the room next door. The shower fitting worked but the grip rail was again filthy. There were bits of wet tissue on the wall of the bathroom. There were used tissues under the table between the beds. There was hair between the sheet and blanket. Also in the bar there was no snack food available.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Dear Bendoy,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologise for the delay you encountered when checking in during that time. There is non excuse for this except to say it was a busy time for the hotel and unfortunately the housekeepers had a few rooms to finish off as there was a large amount of departures this day and turning around the hotel linen did take a bit longer than expected as we were close to full occupancy.

I have looked into the issues you experienced with the maintenance and have discussed these with my maintenance team as well as the other managers to ensure these are followed through and fixed accordingly when broken. Along with this I have discussed the standard of cleanliness of the room with the housekeeping manager as what you experienced is unacceptable and not of a consistent standard of the hotel.

I do find it strange you mention there was no snack menu in the bar. At the start of July we changed all our menus throughout the hotel and the hotel bar has a separate snack menu to the main restaurant. I am sorry you did not have an opportunity to experience this as we have received great reviews on the new menus throughout the hotel.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed for 1 night in July 2011. The standrd room is huge, the bathroom is huge too. We enjoyed our night & will stay again. Everything clean & tidy, very happy with the Rydges.
Didn't use any of the facilities except for the roof top pool which was great. We were a bit early for check in but no problem there, 11am check out is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Dear Berniejh,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It is always wonderful to hear when people have enjoyed themselves at the hotel.

I do hope next time you stay you have a chance to utilise all the hotel facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.