1,371 results
All reviews race course race track spa bath mezz bar atrium restaurant buffet breakfast balcony overlooking indoor pool huge room top floor two queen beds school holidays bit dated new zealand racecourse
Reviewed March 15, 2011

We stayed in a huge room overlooking racecourse. Where they may not be ultra modern rooms, they are spacious and comfortable. The spa was fantastic. The amenities were plentiful and beautiful products. Just like most New Zealanders, the staff were extremely friendly.
Location wise, the hotel is a short stroll from supermarkets and restaurants are at your door.
Breakfast had more than enough in variety and the food was excellent!
Even though we are a couple, this would be an excellent hotel for families.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Dear Traci_ra,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always a plesure in reading reponses from people who have had a grea time at our hotel.

I hope the rest of your travels were a huge success and we would love to see you both back at the hotel in the future.

Craig

Reviewed March 2, 2011

Rooms spacious Good location Friendly staff
We had breakfast included & it was excellent
On the negative side
Only 1 pillow ea but had more sent up
No bubble bath for the lovely spa bath in the room
No tissues
The resturant was a bit cold

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
SallyPhipps, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Dear bakerauckland,

Many thanks for your recent revews posted on Trip Advisor. We certainly appreciate feedback as it serves as a measure of our performance.

It was extremely pleasing to see the positive comments in regards to our team and our rooms.

I can assure you that I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper in regards to the amenities in the room and we are looking to ensure these things are stocked for the future as they are staple items of the room.

Many thanks again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Sally

Sally Phipps
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed February 16, 2011

Enjoyed it here so we booked a second night. Large spacious room overlooking the racecourse. We had a private balcony with table and chairs and spa bath in room next to it so you had natural light coming in while you sit in the spa. Room itself was a little dark. Good central location. The hotel is admittedly a little dated, not as clean and modern as Ryges Auckland but we didn't mind as the good points about this hotel made up for it. But definitely room for improvement. Pillow cases very thin and no mattress protectors!! Toddler spilled juice in bed that got soaked up by mattress. Wondered what else has reached mattress from previous guests?! Freezer compartment of fridge was thick with ice so cleaners could do better, also some dust (kitchen area) and cobwebs found (balcony area). Bathroom floor and shower stains and cracks so needs overhaul, but we didn't mind, it's rotorua so not a big city hotel like you'd expect in Auckland. Lift had a weird nauseating smell and ground floor carpet had bubbles and noticed wall damage attempted to be hidden by pot plant. Strangely enough there was an ashtray in our room on a supposedly NON-smoking floor (2nd). Oh and could hear upstairs moving about. Pool was nice with 1 large & 2 small pools that we enjoyed. Breakfast is affordable so make sure you try it at least once. Don't expect an early check in (1pm we came) but were told our room was not ready despite explaining my toddler had vomited and I needed to clean her up, we could get a smoking room, well no thanks so I waited an hour with my child smelling of spew and had to change her clothes in the car. So the staff member could have been a bit more accommodating to needs of a sick child.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank AklTraveler
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2011

Dear AklTraveler,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor and providing myself and my staff with comments about your stay.

Since reading through your comments I have discussed them with my managers in great detail.

With feedback such as your it allows up to improve and look at areas that have let a guests experience down.

I am sorry to hear you had to wait for your room to be ready, especially when you had a sick child. I know the hotel was very busy over the time you were staying with us and we do try and have guests check in as soon as the rooms are available and by 2pm. I am in the process of speaking with my staff on how they could have handled your situation a little better. I do hope your little one is feeling better.

Again I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

Craig

Reviewed February 9, 2011

When I walked into Rydges Rotorua to check-in, I was warmly welcomed by their friendly reception staff. Not knowing where our room was until hoping out the lift, we walked and made our way towards room 402. Our room location was awesome, it was situated above the Hotel entrance, left corner. Our balcony overlooked the south end of Rotorua's race-course with a beautiful view of Lake Rotorua and Mokoia Island lake in the distance.

Room service was really fantastic, when I rung to ordered dinner around 6pm the lady was helpful and delivery was very prompted. Dinner was really tasty, panini with salad & chips. The pudding was just to die for "Kapiti ice cream" love it.
In the morning, we went down to have breakfast in the Atrium Restaurant. They had a large section of cold & hot meals along with cold & hot drinks. The food and drinks were centrally located so guests could see and move freely to get their breakfast.
Love the late check out 11am instead of 10am like normal. Check-out was just as pleasant as check-in. Reception staff were very hospitable and serviced us quick. Staff farewelled both my mother and I with "Thank you for staying at Rydges". Thank you Rydges Rotorua for making our stay here an awesome experience.

• Stayed: February 2011
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

Dear Dianne and Russell,

I thank you for posting on Trip Advisor your wonderful comments about Rydges Rotorua.

It gives me great pleasure in reading how you enjoyed your stay from beginning to end. We do pride ourselves on our customer service and it gives me even more pleasure in hearing how our facilities also met your expectations.

I do hope we have the pleasure in hosting you at Rydges Rotorua in the very near future.

Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed for two nights, and were really looking forward to our stay in Rotorua.

Pool was great, lovely hot pool.

First night we stayed at about 1.15am there was a fire alarm. Obviously these things happen but who likes being woken up in the middle of the night when paying for a room! Unfortunately this alarm showed us and the other guests the bad side of Rydges Rotorua. The two staff visible were very inattentive and remained at the front desk with guests not guided to an evacuation area and left to wander in and out of the lobby while the alarm was still going. No explanation or attempt to calm was given to any guests and most people were grumbling about the lack of support and care given by the hotel. One guest near us said they had overheard the staff member saying they had other false alarms recently.

Seemed to be that the hotel was mainly geared to the large number of overnight Asian tour bus guests who arrived like clockwork on buses in the evening both nights we were there. The bar never opened but the guest shop did when these tourists arrived.

We were disappointed the hotel bar was closed the whole time we were there, the bar in the restaurant was apparently open but you had to track down a staff member in the lobby to get them to find the keys to get to the fridges just to get a drink.

Rooms were disappointingly out-dated. Strange light sconces on the wall resembling greek pillars were out of place. The lack of air-conditioning was shocking, especially given the memo we had from management advising guests to keep their windows shut to avoid flies coming in!

Light fitting above the mirror in the bathroom didn't work. Light fitting above the bed near the window was full of flies and created a burning smell when turned on (yuck).

Rooms were very large which was nice, but the two beds were too far apart for the sole bedside table between them. Two tables need to be provided for guest comfort.

We stay at Rydges Hotels whenever we travel, this was by far the worst. If it wasn't for the lovely hot pool it would be a right-off. Needs an overhaul NOW!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Dear Capitolnz,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor.

I certainly appreciate your honesty and its with feedback like yours which enables the hotel to review its procedures during certain events.

I myself began working at the property a few days before the fire alarm and upon reading your feedback I am in the process of reviewing our fire alarm procedure. I understand people don't like to be woken in the middle of the night and in the unlikely event this should happen again it is important guests are guided and informed to give them peace of mind.

As Rotorua is a busy tourist destination we do have quite a few tour groups through like many of the hotels in the area, however this should not take away the experience any of our other guests receive.

I have reviewed all your other feedback with my department managers to ensure they are aware of your experiences as this will help towards making yours and other guests stay more comfortable in the future.

I welcome you to please contact me directly the next time you are look for accommodation in Rotorua.