“Great service with great location and nice rooms!”

Novotel Rotorua Lakeside
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
New York, NY
“Great service with great location and nice rooms!”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Pros:
* Great check-in - super quick
* Room was on 5th floor w/ nice view - very modern and very clean
* Location can't be beat! walk right on the lake or down a whole avenue of great restaurants at night. Love the location.
* Great fitness center w/ thermal pools.

Cons:
* Very few if any. Perhaps I would say the breakfast was not worth it, but that would be it.

100% recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 21, 2009

This is a no frills hotel...well at least at no extra charge. It does have a small spa, but that's extra. There is no gift shop in the hotel as I could see. Food and drink at the hotel are rather exorbitant, but I gather the food is ample and tasty. We ate in town. Several fine eateries, bars, and coffee spots are quite nearby. For a luncheon, my wife and I had shepherds pie and a beer for NZ$10 each at Hennessey's (3-4 blocks away), for example. But venison or beef steaks could have been had at dinner time for $34 or less at classy spots even closer by.

We stayed with our boys for three nights, so a hangi was included with the price of the rooms. I gather it will not be as good as one at the local re-enactment villages, but still it means a free meal and show (if we care to take advantage of it).

A six block walk takes you to the Rotorua Museum, which is on Queen's Drive just east and a bit south of the hotel. This walk enables you to see a couple of steam holes and also vistas of the lake.

Broadband costs you about $34 for 24 hours and only 100MB. I used up my MB within a couple of hours.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Killarney
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Excellent location, comfortable furnishings, free Internet access on Macs in the lobby is very convenient and pleasant with plenty daylight streaming in through the glass wall.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We booked this for a weekend in winter, as my wife had stayed before and was happy with it. We were also attracted by the Maori cultural show (Matariki) next door which is indoors, and more suited to a winter stay. The staff were just great, and every time we passed the front desk there was a cheery acknowledgement. Even the passing chambermaid yelled out a cheery greeting, which is a first just about anywhere!

The buffet breakfast was good without being spectacular, (included in the price) though looking at the price and quality of the evening buffet, I think that was over priced.

Room was absolutely spot on. We had to report a faulty hair drier - it was replaced. Day two, we found that there was no kettle/jug, and a phone call to reception had a kettle delivered within about three minutes. We found the room quiet, with zero outside noise and although my son and his wife were in the room next door, they claimed they had the TV on, and we never heard a thing.

Indoor pool is not large, but heated to 32 degrees, and both mineral spa and normal spa pools heated to 40 degrees.

Location is as the name suggests, at the edge of the lake, and the restaurant area of Rotorua is just across the road.

The typical Rotorua smell of sulphur was almost absent but this could well be due to the crisp winter days.

We enjoyed the cultural show more for the genuine warmth and friendliness of the performers than for the performance, and to their credit, they have made a decision to run the show whether there are 120 customers or just 1. We suspect it was a smaller group than in the high season, but they put heart and soul into the performance and made everyone feel very welcome. It appears to be part of the hotel.

The acid question is always, would we go back, and that has to be yes.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night only. Initially we were quite impressed with this hotel. The room seemed quite generous in size, and everything seemed clean. There was nothing wrong with the room when we checked in, nor when we returned after dinner, nor when we returned from the Polynesian spa later in the evening.

The problems started around 2:30am when we were both awoken independently from each other by the awful sulphur stench that dominates the air when you walk around the city (outside that is). But this was no passing whiff - more of an overwhelming and sickening stench that almost made us throw up. We did have the air conditioner (ie heater) running, in this must have been where the smell had entered the room.
We called the reception and the night manager came up, quite quickly, and sprayed this disinfectant solution around the room, mainly around the airconditioning duct. This did help somewhat. However, by that time I had a massive headache, and was unable to get any further sleep.
The night manager reported to both of us that he had received numerous calls that morning, however the hotel management has since denied that any other guests complained that night.
The hotel management has also refused to provide any compensation, stating that "...smell caused by Rotorua’s famous Geothermal activity is unavoidable as they must disburse at least 10% filtered natural air through air conditioning unit to prevent CO2 build up. Management understand that this may have caused some discomfort however are unable to offer any compensation as this is outside of their control."
So if that's the case, then guests should expect to smell this sulphur in their rooms at any time. If so, then why not warn them?

It's funny how, when I stayed at a much cheaper motel style accommodation in Rotorua 8 years ago, I didn't smell any sulphur in my room at any time.

Apart from this, the breakfast was quite OK but probably not worth the extra amount that they were charging - you would need to eat a lot to get your money's worth.

If, in the unfortunate event, you are forced to stay at this hotel, you would be advised to turn off your airconditioning system at night (whether this would prevent the ingress of the horrible sulphur smell is unknown).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MalcolmYoung
Wellington
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I stayed here for 3-nights a couple of days ago & was so impressed with the service from the hotel staff - pleasant, smiling, friendly & polite - that I thought I'd break with my general apathy when it comes to these things & write a review.

I was a very happy customer. I stayed in a Superior 1 Queen room, which was immaculately clean & very comfortable. The hotel itself was really close to the Hospital, restaurants & all the general amenities. A really good place to be if your on foot or using public transport.

I ate breakfasts & one dinner at the restaurant which were all pleasant. The bar was reasonably priced & had a relaxed atmosphere. The pool was good for splashing around in but not for exercising properly. I didn't check out the gym but will do so next time. There looked like plenty of parking outside too.

Overall the staff were what really sold it as a place to return to. Definitely good value, I'll be making this top of my list for accomodation in Rotovegas.

Melissa

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank WellingtonMelissa78
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We were a bunch of Travel Agent co-workers on a night out - mainly to go to the Tamaki Maori Village show. (Excellent by the way)

I found the Novotel to be a pleasant hotel. It's about 5 minutes walk from the CBD. The rooms are nice and spacious with comfortable beds. We had one of the lakeview rooms, and it was lovely to wake up to the view - even if it was misty and raining. I recommend requesting a lake view room otherwise you'll end up with a view of the free hotel carpark.

We had a quick look at the heated thermal swimming pool - it has an 'indoor/outdoor' theme and there were also two spas, sauna and a well equipped gym.

The hotel bar 'sports' bar has a huge screen, and pool table. Pretty reasonable prices. There is free internet available in the lobby. Overall, I was pleased with my stay and would recommend it to my clients.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends