“Great location, but bathroom looking tired”

Novotel Rotorua Lakeside
Ranked #19 of 91 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed a night here a few weekends back. The location is great - close to a strip with some lovely restaurants and it's also close to the lake with large grounds and play areas too. Our room was perfectly fine - the bed was comfy and the decor nice. The bathroom is the only thing that jutted out as being in need of an update. But overall, good place to stay!

Room Tip: If you pay little more you can get a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carol M, Guest Relations at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us.

We are so glad you too found our location convenient.

I hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you and regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,628)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Carol M, Guest Relations at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We'd stayed at the Novotel before as a family and it had been fine so I decided to book again with my son for a 3 night school holiday treat. The BIG bonus they had for me was their location, being easy walking distance to Eat Street where all the restaurants are and also being on the right side of Rotoura for the activities we wanted to do during our stay. My son is also ASD so copes better away from home in places he has been before.

Things started out OK when a mix up with my booking was quickly sorted when I phoned on the day of our scheduled check-in.

However, it was only at arrival that it was noted I'd requested a room on the upper floors & away from the lifts (my son is a light sleeper) despite booking a good month ahead. The lady on reception spent a bit of time seeing what was available & was just about to hand me keycards for a room on the 4th floor when, what I can only assume was a senior member of staff, came out of the back office to tell her that she had already allocated the room. It took a while to get the computer systems to unbook us from that room and re-allocate us a room on the 1st floor. Up to the room we go and we find the door propped open, a member of staff wearing a face mask with a vacuum doing I think what he said was a 'deep clean'. He quickly vacated and we got settled in. However it wasn't exactly far from the lift lobby and was only a few doors away from the guest laundry. None of this was major as I'm fairly easy going, but, it wasn't a good first impression either.

Later in the evening when I went to turn down my bed I discovered there was a sheet missing between the mattress & the duvet. I tried ringing both housekeeping & reception with no answer so had to physically go down to reception. The issue was resolved quickly as somebody from housekeeping brought me a sheet within minutes of me returning to our room. However, I then ended up having to basically re-make my bed. Housekeeping would have done it but my son was getting ready for bed and I didn't want to upset him prior to sleep.

As kids ate free with adults I'd decided to breakfast in the hotel despite the cost (still don't understand why Fri morning was $34.50 but Sat & Sun $30?). On the plus side the chef cooking the eggs was friendly & efficient on each of the 3 mornings we were there & my poached eggs were cooked to perfection. We also didn't have any issues getting a table despite the hotel being full. On the down side the sausages & bacon are poor quality given the cost of the full breakfast. Also, on the 1st morning the flat white I ordered (for an additional $4.00) did not turn up and I had to go back to the dining room reception to chase it up. By the time it got to me it was far from hot but I wasn't prepared to wait for another one.

On each evening of our stay I spent some time in the bar, on each occasion the bar staff were friendly & efficient. They happily put the big screen up with the Warriors game on too. The bar menu looked to have a good variety of choices and although I didn't try it personally several other guests did and appeared to enjoy it.

My son & I also spent time in the swimming pool each evening. Its fine for relaxing & to keep kids entertained but don't expect to be able to do laps as its a kidney shaped and not very big. The two free hot pools next to the swimming pool were lovely but not very big so when the pool was busy it was often hard to get a turn. I did consider having a massage but at $80 for 30mins it was too expensive!

Wifi - there is free Wifi access in the lobby and plenty of comfy seats to sit on BUT its limited to 30mins or 8MB. For a days access I think it cost something like $30.00 There are also two complimentary Mac computers with internet access available to guests in the lobby area however during our stay there were often occupied by children playing games.

All in all the Novotel is a perfectly adequate hotel the rooms are a bit old fashioned but have always been clean. I also find the aircon/heating systems in the rooms somewhat noisy. Unfortunately I just can't help comparing it with the Stamford Plaza in Auckland where I have also recently stayed for the same rate (but got free unlimited Wifi, late checkout and full breakfast including. They also have a much better pool & fitness area), the Novotel is sadly lacking in comparison.

Room Tip: If you can AVOID rooms #124 - 120 as they are very close to the guest laundry which can be quite noi...
1  Thank 1970AJB
FMcKenzie, General Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear 1970AJB,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Hotel. I apologise that you encountered the issues reported. I am understandably concerned that your bed was not made properly - this would be a base expectation - and will investigate this with the Housekeeper and room attendants.

We would welcome your return to the Hotel, and are pleased that it is a place that your son can feel welcome.

Fraser McKenzie

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Carol M, Guest Relations at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Reviewed July 22, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Carol M, Guest Relations at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Reviewed July 21, 2013