“It was a nice place to stay.”

Millennium Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #22 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Chicago
“It was a nice place to stay.”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Although not our favorite place to stay in New Zealand, it got the job done. Location is excellent, and the Polynesian Spa is next door, so you must experience the hot springs as well.

Rotorua is smelly in general, but the hotel is situated adjacent to a thermal pool, thus not for the faint hearted.

The room was comfortable, although would not call it luxurious. We got the breakfast package, and the buffet was generous.

Wished I could have tried a drink at the bar, but hard to do with 12 year olds tagging along...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nosi6
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Hi, thank you for posting your comments. Pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
To clarify, all children are welcome in our house bar as long as they are accompanied by an adult... meals are available in the bar as well. Hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Staff very accommodating and friendly. Great location. Convenient to all shops and site seeing. I personally found the town quiet, but if into extreme sports then this is the place to be. Food fantastic and very comfortable beds.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank PRaffael
Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. We're happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you back again one day soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Nice friendly staff, comfortable bed, clean room, good supply of bathroom items. Easy walk to town centre, restaurants and some tourist attractions Attractive modern looking building with welcoming decor Comfortable lounge / bar area Hotel has a pool and restaurant
Our only criticism is the chair in our room had cracked and splitting leather / vinyl which let the standard of the hotel down
I requested an early check in which we were given. A porter was on hand to help with luggage

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger M
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Roger
Fantastic you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to write with your positive feedback.

I can advise that a refurbishment of our guest rooms will take place this quarter, which will include, amongst other things, replacement of the room chairs.

I do hope you will choose to return to the Millennium next time you are in Rotorua. We look forward to welcoming you back some day soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Location: Corner Eruera & Hinemaru Streets, Rotorua.
This hotel suited us as it was near the lake and was also only a short 10 minute walk to the shops and our hire car place. Built in the old style, the entrance hall is a great
example of beautiful timber carving and exudes a relaxed atmosphere. The bar is not far from the reception and there is an area to sit and have a drink. (See photo) The ambiance of peace continues as one goes through the enclosed walkway overlooking the beautiful garden. Some rooms would have this view.
The rooms were quite nice with a lovely bathroom and ours overlooked Lake Rotorua and the street below. The smell of sulphur did permeate the whole area though. But that's Rotorua!
The receptionist was very pleasant as was the breakfast supervisor, but we
were dismayed to find that even a continental breakfast of cereal and tea was not included in the cost. As we were leaving early the next morning for our tour back we did not repeat the breakfast! All in all though, no other complaints

Room Tip: We had to walk a little distance and then go up a lift to get to our room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tessa
Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay recently, and for posting your photos, which look fantastic.
I hope that next time you are in Rotorua you will choose to return to the Millennium. We look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.
Cardiff
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Piece of advice to Management:
The first thing your guests need on arrival is to be shown to their room, especially when they're tired.
What they really don't need is to be kept standing at reception listening to a hard sell of the additional spa services.
Anyway.... On checking in we were cheerily told we'd been upgraded to a suite followed by the sales pitch - I get a twitchy vibe.
We'd been assured of a sea view room but weren't going to argue over being given a suite.*
It was very nice with a separate sitting room but an urban view.
After a while I notice that the room door sticks and needs a hard push to close, the doorbell doesn't ring and a bathroom tap spins freely without functioning. I also discover that wifi is $25.
I go to reception and ask for the Duty Manager whose name is displayed on the desk.
I'm told he's not on duty today and the name plate is removed.
I'm told today's Manager will call me shortly.
She does and I list my issues.
Strangely, I'm asked "Would you like us to fix the tap?"
I reply that sooner or later someone will want it fixed.
After a short debate I'm assured that the faults will be fixed before we return from dinner and I'm given a complimentary wifi connection.
We call the restaurant and miss the discount for an "early bird" evening meal as it's fully booked but are offered the discount anyway at a later time.
When we get back to our room later the faults have not been fixed.
The tap is fixed next day but not the door or bell.
When we eventually check out after two nights the promised discount hasn't been given on the meal.
When I mention this a Manager is called for and I'm asked "Who told you that?"
I reply " A Manager".
Incredulously I'm told "Well it wasn't me, I wasn't on duty yesterday".
I reply "I didn't say it was you - it was offered by telephone from our room"
"So it was a catering Manager?"
"I haven't a clue"
I'm beginning to feel interrogated.
Some kind of investigation then took place as I was left to stand around.
The discount was finally conceded without any apology.

There are Guest Houses and B&B's making their guests feel far more special than this hotel.

*We later saw a sea view room unoccupied and door ajar. It had sea view and balcony and I realised our "upgrade" was most likely a result of someone else being given our sea view.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BTCardiff
Dear BT Cardiff
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.
I was disappointed to read you were unhappy with your upgrade to a two-roomed Suite. This was most certainly not a 'dubious' upgrade, but a genuine 3-level upgrade given to a number of guests that day. The allocation upgrade was necessary due to high occupancy, a number of out-of-order guest rooms due to flooding, and late changes by inhouse guests. Our suite is our highest upgrade.
I'm very sorry you were not able to enjoy a lake view from your room. As you stated, the Suite is very nice with a separate lounge area, but with an city view.

Thank you for highlighting the maintenance issues in your room, which have now been remedied. The delay in fixing the door bell was due to having to source correct parts.

Finally, please accept my sincere apologies we did not follow through on the early bird discount offer. I have spoken with the Front Office staff regarding this.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed over January 2013 for two nights.
I am quite disappointed when they couldn't find my partner's sweater left in the same wardrobe where my shoes were. When I came back to pick up the items left behind (pair of shoes and phone charger) were found but not the sweater which was on the hanger.. Reception staff told me that they are going to have another look but no one bother to ring to let me know if it has been found or not so I have to ring them again the next day. No apology or anything from reception.
Breakfast was good but busy at certain times.
Dinner was fabulous, our waiter was really lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sheena
Please accept my apologies for the lack of follow up from the Reception desk. I have discussed this with our Front Office team. We need some more information from you in order to double check our lost property records. Could you contact our Front Office Manager, Yuri Ponstijn, on 07 347 1234. You could also email him if you preferred: yuri.ponstijn@millenniumhotels.com

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We booked a club room on the fifth floor, room was great, large very comfortable bed. Excellent range of toiletries in the bathroom , the bonus of the club room with drinks and canapés before going out for the evening to the continental breakfast in the morning was great, we have stayed at the. Hotel. Before but in the standard rooms, definatley worth the extra for this room.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Jo L.
I was very pleased to read your review of our Hotel, that you enjoyed the Club Floor and Club Lounge with the added luxuries. We look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.